1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. john2061

Would love to see him get a couple of games under his belt and be on the bench for the cup final and maybe get a free kick with a minute to go and the wee man puts it away .

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Your right, we don’t know each other and you don’t know Griffiths or his actual situation. So it is assumptions all round. On the point of everyone suffering mental health issues, that is an opinion you hold that has no merit or fact. If you really understood the circumstances and the effects it has you wouldn’t have typed what you did. As for taking it the wrong way, you can take it whatever way you want.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We should support him 100%, which we have and if gets back to where he was what an asset he will be again.

If he doesn’t we will still try to help him as much as we can as a club and a support. Like everyone with mental health issues you need to learn to understand yourself and do what right in your life in order to stay healthy, this doesn’t happen overnight it’s a process that can take years and unfortunately for some it is never conquered...let’s hope Griff can get back..

However, there’s no room for much sentiment in the game, we will buy/loan a ST in Jan and another in the Summer may be required too.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with this JC.

I think Griff would be best staying off social media and heightening expectation with pictures of him saying "I'm back" or the like.

No doubt he'll be getting hounded by people every day and it's the quickest way to communicate to a large audience but when people see those pictures then see him still not featuring then inevitably questions are going to be asked.

As you say he has had and will continue to have 100% backing from us as a club and hopefully support but we also need a striker to support Edouard and should strengthen in January. Once Griff is in a good place both mentally and physically then I have no doubts that he will force himself into the squad.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye social media does lots of high profile people no good whatsoever.. never mind those who suffer..

Seán Mac D likes this.
  6. ddub11

Correct me if im wrong,but were we not told he was in consideration for the Motherwell game?

What exactly does not up to speed mean? isnt match fit? ,Griff has been out a while now and we all know the issues he,s dealing with but when we hear stuff like not up to speed etc to me its just a way of saying we dont know when he,ll be back and we cant say why.

Im not trying to make something out of nothing and with a bit of luck he will be back sooner rather than later but the way i see it if a player gets a hamstring injury (example)the club will announce the nature of the injury and how long he would be out for but with griff all we seem to hear is he,s nearly ready or he,s training and will be back soon.

Just for clarity do you know(i dont)aside from his issues what were the injuries he picked up.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    His calf..

He's had ongoing injuries with his calves for year's..

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If he has had a non-physical set back then there's no way that the club should come out and disclose that.

He is entitled to some dignity and respect, when it was announced he was taking time out it just led to a media frenzy pestering him, his family, his friends, paperazzi snapping him on days out and trying to cause friction between Griff and the club and that's before you get into opposition fans revelling in his struggles. * giving any of his detractors even the slightest hint of something that they would only use to get at him.

Lenny has been through struggles himself, he will be well-versed in what will help Leigh. Giving bait to an anti-Celtic press isn't one of them.

As I said above, he should be telling Griffiths to bin social media and focus purely on himself and his family and we as supporters should trust that Lennon and Celtic are doing exactly what they should in this situation.

9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yes he was in consideration, but if you don't perform well enough in training or don't look sharp enough then you won't make the match squad.

As for his injuries, it was a calf one initially I think, then he took a dead leg which can be a couple of weeks out.

It would be great to get a detailed run down of every players' match fitness, injuries, availability etc. Akin to the NFL maybe where it is pretty black and white for the most part. But that's just not the way it is. I appreciate where you are coming from and aren't trying to make something out of nothing but that is kinda the road it is going down. Comes across as prying because it is Griff.

Weren't we told Mikey might make it too after being on the bench in the semi v Hibs, then was nowhere to be seen? His thread is awfully quiet in comparison...

ddub11, Liam Scales and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Regardless of wether Griffiths gets back to his best and stays fit or not we need a credible replacement brought in for when Edouard goes.

Dembele and Edouard are levels above Griffiths even at his best and we need to find a similar calibre of player to be first choice.

11. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    When does his contract run out?

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

June 2022

13. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Plenty of time for him then without worrying about it

14. Maestro 08

I suspect a combination of factors are prolonging his absence but there's a glaring need for a second striker as we compete across 4 competitions & as others have said if he's not able to play for whatever reason(s) then we need to bring someone else in pronto. That's the harsh truth of it.

Seosamh Máirtín and KRS-1888 like this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This is the reality..

He hasn't been first choice or close for about 3/4 season's now. Sometimes third fiddle, which shows the quality we've had up top..

No slight on him but we've improved and we want to keep the bar high when Eddy goes...like we did with Dembele being seamlessly replaced (arguably upgraded) by Eddy himself..

We need a top class striker in. I doubt many would be happy for Griff, even at his best....to be our main man after Moussa and Eddy back to back..

16. strike twice

What game during this break can he possibly get some game time in ? I thought there was going to be a chance this weekend for Leigh to play with the reserves , or some behind closed doors match . Anybody remind me please ?

17. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Unsure what I’d do with him.

Off field issues made him quite unreliable last few seasons and he’s never good enough to be our first choice striker, if we want to be taken seriously in Europe. Just isn’t anywhere near the caliber we need.

Will score domestic goals all day long, but we need something reliable as a back up.

18. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    He needs to be fit this December. Last season we struggled with 1 striker dropping 8 points. Eddy is human and needs rest and a fit Griff can start or come on with 20 mins to go. We have 9 games in December and 2 more this month, it could be a big time for Griff to show his worth.

19. AMc88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Hope he can get up to speed soon. December is such a busy month. A fighting fit Griff is invaluable.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member