1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL on Callum McGregor: "He’s been absolutely sensational in the last few seasons. Consistency, level of performance, game intelligence and robustness. He’s been absolutely wonderful.

NL: "He can now settle and keep writing history. He’s 26 and his best performances, I think, are yet to come and he’ll be hugely important for us tomorrow night.

tarboltontim likes this.
  2. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Yep you don't like to think it though.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CM: I’m delighted to get it signed and focus on the football. It’s been a good start to the season for the club and myself. I want to keep playing games and helping the team"

CM: "It’s a real statement from the club. It feels good they’ve managed to do such a big deal for as many years. For me, it’s about that stability going forward and making the club successful on and off the pitch."

CM: "I’ve really enjoyed my football over the last few years. It’s such a big club to play at. It was really a no brainer to sign on the dotted line, continue the success and push on as well."

CM: "The first game was a real confidence booster for us. It was a great night, two real good football teams. To come out on the winning side of that gives us confidence to come here and get a positive result. Everyone’s trained well and we are prepared.

CM: "We know it’ll be a tough game and we’ll have to play really well to get something from the match

tarboltontim likes this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

You look at the situation with KT as an example, clearly he has no love for Arsenal and the move was purely from a financial point of view, i don't blame the player himself, and let's be honest how often will we get 25 mil for one of our players ?

Playing in the SPFL our revenue is limited, we don't have access to the TV money like the EPL, so understandable our business model is to be a steppin stone for players to play in the EPL or another lucrative League, i don't see anything wrong with that, but it is sad to see players leave, especially players that played for us with a real passion.

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Aye but it's not without the realms of possibility that some players might feel they're being pushed. Take Jamesy a one club man if ever there was one. I think he's still here because he doesn't even entertain the idea of going elsewhere and being the less than outgoing character he is they realise it's better leaving well alone :56:I seem to remember when Sevco were in their infancy the pushed one of their players to accept a transfer for the good of the club. Can't mind who but then there's been so many :56:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Thing is though Jeannie, if a serious offer came in for Jamsey, the same principal would apply, i know it's * but it's the reality of the modern day game, money talks more than ever, players look at what others are earning.

Certain players will stay longer than others, but this could be more to do with the fact that no club has made a big offer for their services ? :67:

7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Telling ye I'm convinced Jamesy's going nowhere :40:

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I agree Jeannie. I think he’s an auld home bird. Due to get married soon.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  9. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    You know it's hard for people to believe in this materialistic world but for some guys they're just as happy with a quid in their pocket as they would be with a tenner.

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Callum McGregor eats Semtex for breakfast.

Brendan Rodgers told me at a Q&A

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    You always hear pundits saying you will never see 'one club' players anymore. What a load of *, we've got 2, Forrest and McGregor. Its a testimony to Celtic that players are willing to spend their entire career at Celtic, its a brilliant place to be a footballer for many reasons. There are very few clubs that have what Celtic have to offer and many players who leave would give their right arm to come back. Celtic genuinely are a special club.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    tarboltontim likes this.
  12. Jeremie Frimpong

McGregor's not a one-club player.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Oh FFS...are you pedantically referring to his loan spell at Notts County? I think you'll find he was still Celtics player.

jake10 likes this.
  14. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Don't, I was convinced they'd need a big gun to his head to make KT to leave the club, I'm STILL GUTTED .

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Jeremie Frimpong

Aye, I am. McGregor is not a one-club player by definition.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MOUSSA DEMBELE threw a strop when Celtic tried to block a move to Lyon.

Dedryck Boyata took it further and went on STRIKE after the Hoopsrefused to sell him.

But Callum McGregor says he was never going to copy them after club chiefs told Leicester City in August that he wasn’t for sale.

The Hoops midfielder has too much respect for Celtic and instead got his head down and worked harder.

After signing a bumper five-year deal and getting a congratulatory text from Brendan Rodgers yesterday, McGregor insists he’s no regrets.

Asked if he ever considered chucking his toys out of the pram, he said: “I’d never do that. Celtic have given me so much.

“I am so thankful to them for the opportunity to play at such a huge club. It was never in my mind to get upset or anything.

“I have a job to do here and we have had so much success here.

“I am really enjoying my football and all you want to do is get on the pitch and do your best for the club, the fans and yourself.

“It’s nice to get that interest. I had a good relationship with the previous manager. He goes away and there’s that link that he wants you.

It’s nice as it shows you were doing something right for the time he was here.

“You take it as a compliment but as soon as it passed, I’ve been totally focused on football.

“It wasn’t really on my mind. Since the season started I have been playing every three days. So I’ve just been focused on the games. It’s been total football since June and the games are racking up.

“I’ve just been focusing on my job and the manager has been first class with me.

“I wasn’t really that up or down. It was about getting fit and taking it from there.

“I’m delighted to get it done and create that stability. Brendan texted me just to say ‘Congratulations, you really deserve it’.

“He said he was happy for me. I just sent him a text back saying ‘Thanks very much for everything you have done as well’.”

McGregor’s long-term future has been uncertain since the summer as talks over a new deal continued.

But you would never have known by his form — with the midfielder consistently a top performer for Celtic.

He admits seeing pal Kieran Tierney blossom at Arsenal does make him think of heading for the Premier League one day.

McGregor, however, also knows the grass isn’t always greener and felt it was right to stay put.

He said: “You see Kieran doing so well down at Arsenal. He’s made that step and, naturally, you look at it and think ‘I do fancy a bit of that at some point’.

“But, again, you take it as a compliment that you are doing your job well.

“We spoke about it but ultimately the decision was made to renew my contract here. I’m delighted.”

McGregor, who’s still only 26, has committed his peak years to Celtic and looks set to take over from Scott Brown as captain one day

Boss Neil Lennon has him earmarked for that role, but McGregor himself reckons that could still be YEARS down the line.

He said: “I have touched on that with the manager.

“Obviously it has become a bit more noticeable when Broony is having a rest or has come off, the armband has been passed to me.

“Playing in there alongside Broony has been such a massive learning curve for me in terms of everything — preparation, trying to help the team, as well as focusing on your own game.

“I don’t think there are many better to learn off than Broony. Whenever he isn’t playing, I try to step in and do that job.

“At this point in my career you start to watch him and what he does.

Everyone is different. But in the last three or four years, I have started to grow in confidence and stature within the club.

“There isn’t anybody better to be watching and learning from than Broony. I’m trying to learn as much as I can from him so eventually, if he ever does stop playing, I can do it.

“But you know what he’s like . . . Peter Pan!

“He still seems to be getting better every week.

“He is outscoring me and he has ten years on me!”

McGregor has 12 major honours for Celtic but insists ten in a row hasn’t crossed his mind.

He said: “We know we are in a title race this season, Rangers have been good.

“For us, we just have to focus and prepare as best we can for every game and on as many fronts as we can.

“We are just trying to take it step by step. That is the biggest thing our success has been built on.

“To come away from that and start thinking longer term is when it is going to potentially fall away.”

tarboltontim likes this.
  18. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Great news.

Means we should get a massive transfer free from Leicester next summer. :fear:

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That might well be exactly what it means TBH. He's worth a big fee and Brendan Rodgers knows it. That text suggests he hasn't given up. If he does get a CL spot (a big if), he'll be given a lot of money.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  20. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Love his comments on Broony :100:

Whoflungdung likes this.