1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat)

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Dec 17, 2010.

Discuss Celtic Supporters Thread (contains GB chat) in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

Where you there last time they were banned? Could have heard a pin drop!

Luis1967 and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

I only mentioned singing. The pyro is wrong but I dont think we should ban them if the players excel with their atmosphere. I want the team to be at their best.

JC Anton and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

They create an amazing atmosphere, but it has also stifled spontaneous singing from all over the ground. Nobody starts a song now they just wait for the GB to start...

Can remember the last time I heard ‘It’s grand old team’ for eg..

Not blaming the GB just an observation.

richardm and Marie like this.
  4. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

That's true but the rest of the ground only usually join in with the chorus. The GB song for 90mins regardless.

JC Anton and StPauli1916 like this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I love the GB and there's some things worth incurring a fine for. Pyro isn't one.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

This.

JC Anton, Blochairnbhoy and Mickmac like this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So won't find out until 17 October the fine amount.

The last one was €12,500.

Honestly, I didn't realise it was such a low figure in the grand scheme of things for the club. I can begin to understand why the GB don't give a * about the fine.

I've made my stance clear already that I don't agree with the pyro, and I still don't. Been asked not to, so should leave it. It's little wonder it doesn't stop though, when the fine is less than some players earn in a week.

Pablo87 and StPauli1916 like this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Surely though there's a more productive use of that money rather than torching it for 10 seconds of "wowee" at some sparklers?

A charitable cause, extra staff in the ticket office on match days to cut down queues, renovations around the stadium etc.

Garrymac1888, Mickmac, Marie and 3 others like this.
  9. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Of course mate, I get that.

I think the point I'm making is Celtic, with the millions of pounds that fly about, no doubt spend thousands on lots of things we might count as a bit pointless or better spent elsewhere etc.

How many times have we also thought that a player or players have performed so * that they ought to donate some of their astronomical wages to travelling fans or to a charity.

I know my examples aren't quite comparable, but when a pyro fine hits triple figures I'll get on my high horse again. The whole saga is getting a bit meh for me now.

Whoflungdung, Pablo87 and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying but I think it's quite a weak argument if that's the one that they're making.

"We waste much more money on other things so we can afford to waste more."

£12,500 is the equivalent of 520 tickets sold at £24 for a Europa group game.

It's down to the GB to decide if they want to continue to do it - which it seems they are -but they're turning away other Celtic supporters who are otherwise very supportive of their politics and social activism.

As JC says, there are some things worth taking a fine for. Highlighting the crisis in Palestine and the hypocrisy of UEFA's stance of no politics in football....when it suits.

The banner showing the hypocrisy of the SNP, idolising William Wallace while prosecuting those that think similarly of Bobby Sands or other Irish Republicans.

For me the above are worth fighting for, not 10 seconds of a sparkler going off. But that's only my opinion, I know others disagree.

11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't speak for the GB man, no idea if that is their argument.

As I said, meh, I'm out.

Pablo87, StPauli1916 and Seán Mac D like this.
  12. Pogues

At some stage the board are going to have to take some sort of action, whether that be bans or shutting the standing section, I don't know. The GB know this so why no just cut out the pyro and save the hassle.

Mickmac likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOLLOWING the latest UEFA charge against the Club for the use of fireworks at Celtic Park, it is with real disappointment and frustration that the Club needs to appeal again for this behaviour to stop.

UEFA’s stance on the issue of pyrotechnics is unequivocal and very well-known.

The Club has been sanctioned on numerous occasions and yet, very disappointingly, this behaviour by a small minority persists.

The serious safety concerns associated with such behaviour are obvious, as is the reputational damage which this behaviour and these charges have on the Club. In addition, the numerous financial penalties placed on Celtic continue to come out the pockets of supporters who invest in the Club.

Celtic will be introducing further measures in order to deal with this behaviour. It has to stop.

The club does not want it, our supporters do not want it and UEFA will continue to punish the Club whenever it occurs as it is a clear breach of their regulations. It really is as simple as that.

Given the number of repeated offences, we should also be very aware that there could be further, very serious repercussions which could have hugely detrimental consequences for the Club and our supporters. It is hugely unfair that the enjoyment of Celtic matches could potentially be affected by the negative behaviour of a tiny minority.

Additionally, in the interests of all our supporters’ safety, it is imperative that all fans when attending matches at Celtic Park use their designated seat. This is important in ensuring a safe environment.

Our supporters are fantastic and we greatly value the huge contribution you make to the Club. It is the positive support of our fans which makes the difference, week in, week out.

Our win against CFR Cluj last Thursday represented another great European night on the pitch for the Club. Supported brilliantly by our fans, the team were magnificent in driving us to top of our Europa League group. This should be our focus.

Neil Lennon, our players and our backroom team will be doing all they can to deliver a similar performance against Lazio.

The Club and our supporters need to work together to make sure pyrotechnics and any other form of unsafe behaviour have no place at our matches.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    UEFA will just make us close the GB section like they did with the Huns. The displays are great and would continue to be great without pyro.. it just comes across now as self obsessed fannys who don't like being told what to do. Its very simple, stop using pyro you are harming OUR club..

Icicle and Mickmac like this.
  15. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Good statement from the club, hopefully that will be the end of it now... :giggle2:

Whoflungdung likes this.
  16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    My view on it, it does make the atmosphere look cracking and I really like it. However, play the * game lads, when you have so many actual causes and a lot of social activism, that are worth standing up for, why choose this as a do or die platform? It’s not worth it, it’s a shrug of the shoulders and an ack thats a shame I liked it and moving the * on.

17. Al Bootyerbaws

Surely to * we don't need pyro to have good displays at games. Look at that one Dortmund had the other week as an example.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Give them free reign because they sing loud.

No ta.

19. Icicle

Hopefully that's the end of flares then, about time they did something as well.

thailandceltic likes this.
  20. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    This is nonsense. Stadium closures are only used for racist or sectarian behaviour.

Gabriel, elbhoydo and StPauli1916 like this.