1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I still think he's better further forward in the no. 10 position where he used to play. Problem is we're spoiled for choice in that position. Maybe now Christie's suspended he could play there for a couple of games.

2. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    McGregor has strange, key moments in matches like today, where he's done some good defensive work. Even a great pass forward here and there, among the overwhelmingly dross passes throughout the match.

Still, I'm not convinced that he doesn't need a rest or a drop to get Ntcham in the game. Ntcham is FAR more likely to go in the January or summer window, so we have to get him game time to both showcase his talents and rest our key player. It's clear Ntcham is not long term and I'm okay with that, despite liking his talents. Use that to McGregor's advantage. Simple!

McGregor, on the other hand, needs a rest and a new contract. However, he can't be allowed to get complacent in his role by being played week in, week out, without anyone challenging for his role. Where on earth is Kouassi? He fit?!

3. SwoopingVulture

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Totally agree. He has not been at the same level this calendar year. He's been run into the ground - like Tierney was. He'll end up getting an injury and being out for a few months the way we are managing him.

BelfastBhoy74 likes this.
  4. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I guess I spend WAY too much time in an office rather than a pitch. But this definitely informs my supreme rage, because of where I see the immense stupid falling (not the the pitch but the administration). :56:

I worry more about burnout, stagnation, and/or taking things for granted with McGregor. He'll always put in a shift and won't moan on the sidelines with real or perceived injuries. This is the biggest difference with him: there will be no goddam Boyata theatrics. He's not a paycheck-riding *. This is why we love him unconditionally. He would never do that. Ever.

Still, there's no avenue for him to take a break and genuinely learn from someone else competing for the role. There's Broony. Broony, who's literally on phased retirement, and I don't say that as a jab at our amazing captain. Broony has been an incredible legend in his service to this club. We should look to players who seek to fill his void in the years to come.

This brings the whole * McGinn thing back into focus. Without beating a dead horse, we need solid reinforcements in the midfield now in January and in the summer more than anything. We obviously have missed out in the last year, and I hope we have plans to address that in the years coming up. The *9* and the *10* are more important than than anything else, including European money. Do you hear that, Board? One thing at a time in an age of continued inequality.

K, Peter?

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Embarrassingly bad corner kicks from him today. Why can a professional footballer not take a corner kick.

Dan Breen and Crilly like this.
  6. PorchBhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Nope. This isn't isolated to MdGregor. Yes he's horrible. So was/is Christie. Griff gets barely pass marks on a good day, and he's the best of the bunch.

Celtic has been * at corners for the last ten years. Beyond McGregor, he (and others) could make some changes if deputized and coached to do so. For me, the problem is the training and the coaching. These aren't incompetent players, it's the coaching. Change my view.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    His set balls are shocking. We have 2 of the tallest centre backs in the league, and he continually hits the front post. That must be from the coaching side though.

8. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    While there is truth in us being * at corners that doesn't excuse McGregor from not clearing the first man or over hitting it out for throw ins, and that also extends to his free kicks. It's well known there is more chance scoring from an in swinging corners than out, yet our past two coaches keep being persistent at playing out swinging balls. In general McGregor has been poor for weeks now, needlessly giving the ball away under the slightest bit of pressure, only excuse is being fatigued and I highly doubt Scotland are going to drop him in their biggest game of the calendar year- he needs rested and that should start against Ross County.

9. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Anyone in the club, bar Griffiths, should be told to take short corners most of the time. I am more * off by the fact we only used short corners vs. Cluj, and reverted back to the useless stuff vs. Livingston.

Tommy25 and Lilac Wine like this.
  10. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I am at the stage now with corners that I think we should just try score direct. Look at our starting positions, all our big guns are lined up on the 6 yard box, nobody in a position to attack the ball. Not that the deliveries reach the box too often, mostly hit first man-and been like that for years,

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    All of Celtic coaches have been incompetent for the last 10 years? Don’t believe that.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

With Bitton back fit and Ntcham having played well this season, there's no excuses not to give McGregor a rest. Two of our next 3 league games are at home against Ross County and St Mirren. No need for him to feature in those games.

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I would agree with that. Plus Ntcham has been playing well so far this season so deserves to get more game time. Biton too was on a good run of form before he picked up that injury.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  14. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    I don't think there's any less effort from him than last season, but there's no doubt he's not at the same level.

I think the emergence of Christie in the advanced position is a factor, but then McGregor played brilliant behind Rogic a season or so back when Brown was injured.

I'm sure he will come good.

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was just thinking that. It's becoming too predictable. Even if we mixed it up, playing it short to different areas, something to make the opposition think because right now they probably don't fear corners much.

Definitely agree players should be practising a lot more because you can't have incredible in play skill and be * at corners. It's clear they aren't a priority and should be considering our aerial threat as already mentioned. Plus they are very important when playing parked buses.

The KT comparison isn't quite right. KT is a bombastic full back who covers so much of the pitch at high speed and has to deal with heavy tackles as well. Callum does not have to get endure anywhere near that. Well, apart from when he plays left back...

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  16. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Should defo try him sitting with Christie and Rogic in front again at some point.

Tommy25 and JC Anton like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Christie should return from suspension for St Mirren game, so that would be a good opportunity to rest CMcG and play Ollie. In all fairness, against that lot, should not weaken us.

20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Sweet Jesus his ball retention and the way he used his body was masterful tonight.

He was the best after Ryan tonight for me.

Tommy25 and rudebhoy67 like this.