1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He's a top manager! Hopefully many more great performances to come in Europe!

Rydo1888* and Mickmac like this.
  2. scootz

Brendan who?

:lenny1:

3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Didn't want him, * scalded him after Cluj (and rightfully so) but what a fantastic start to the season. I am so impressed with the way we are playing. That performace was better than the Anderlecht away one. We were very very good last night. No reason to think we can't win the group.

gazb1888, paulie67, Hammy89 and 7 others like this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd disagree with this. I think what we've seen in the last few weeks highlights the importance of patience and being rational.

The Cluj game was poor tactically but outwith that he's done a remarkable job, guiding us to a Treble Treble with another manager's team and style and now looking solid having brought in a few of his own players.

I said in the summer that if we backed Lennon with sufficient funds and got behind him and the team that I had no doubt he would deliver us success. We're seeing the fruits of that now. We just need to keep the momentum going and taking it game at a time. The next 5 weeks are huge in the context of our season.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL: The overall performance and the control we had for long periods of the game against one of the top teams in France, away from home, was fantastic.

NL: “There was a maturity and quality about our performance. The only slight bit of disappointment was that we didn’t win the game

NL: “I didn’t want them to play well and lose and they showed great desire to come back into the game. Stages where we looked like we could’ve won it

NL: “Our play was of very high quality. But it’s just one performance and we know the group is wide open. We now look forward to a home game where we have to try and take maximum points.”

NL on
    @MBolingoli
    : “It’s not too serious. He’ll be a major doubt for the weekend and maybe Partick Thistle. He has a slight groin strain. Hopefully he’ll only miss one or two games.”

NL: “
    @GregGregtaylor
    is in contention. He’ll be ready to play when called upon.”

NL on
    @Leighgriff09
    : “He missed the match due to a dead leg. We are hoping he’ll be okay for the weekend. It’s nothing too serious.

NL: “We always have difficult games against
    @KilmarnockFC
    , whether home or away, and I expect Sunday to be the same.”

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Great European record

23 Won
    7 Drew
    14 Lost

More wins than losses and draws combined. Only Stein and Barnes have similar records although Barnes only managed 6 games. Plus more than double the wins and draws than losses.

Hammy89, packybhoy, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Its great to see the positivity towards Neil Lennon now. Some people find it very hard to admit when they're wrong but fair play to all the folks who are happy to say they were wrong about Neil Lennon being a bad choice (i realise its still fairly early days in the season, but we're looking strong). I was one of the few that did want Lenny from the start but theres been many times ive been wrong about other Celtic related things.After watching Callum McGregor's first dozen games for Celtic I was adamant he was hopeless and would never make it at Celtic, fast forward a few years and he picking up the Player of the Season award.:39:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    rkid, Jamesy Bhoy 7, paulie67 and 4 others like this.
  9. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Said when he left.....he will finish what he started.....

Here we go.....10 in a row!!!!!

10. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Compared to how we were playing, with what’s his name who managed us before, it’s lovely to watch now. Remember watching a video of Bain once with all his touches in one game, it was about 5 minutes long ffs.

11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I think he has stepped his management up 10 fold. Probably a lot of factors like sticking it up to Hibs, proving all the fans, myself included, who gave a huge sigh of annoyance after the cup final. And I think to the board that he is working on his terms this time. The players he has put in place along with his inheritance players is explosive to watch. I remember not too long ago thinking why can Celtic not pass like European opposition? Last night we had players, Broony, who were taking tight passes with 2 players on them and spraying it about making openings. Very pleasing stuff. I’m loving this season so much. Maybe the build up to see our generations 9 in a Row and I think it is fitting to have Lenny in charge.

12. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    IF we are gonna make it TEN IN A ROW

i can't think of anyone on the planet that will add more to the absolute Hun despair than having Lenny as the manager that delivers

That is truly something that i hope to see.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  13. imacdiar

I was at the game ,well some of it after a six and a half hour drive from the Limousin.We missed the first twenty five(my daughters french boyfriend,he's a Scott Brown fan and plays his position) minutes and turned up in time for the penalty,not what i had come for.
    We seemed very organised and were the better team for most of the sixty minutes i watched.On this performance we should be able to get a positive result in Glasgow.
    We got home around five in the morning,around fifteen hours of driving for sixty minutes of football but its Glasgow Celtic after all.
    The fans were great and the Rennes fans as well.I had tickets for the Rennes part of the stadium and there was a good atmosphere but its going to be very different in Glasgow which should help us even more.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. gazb1888

It really didn't help with the delay in getting signings in the door early. I genuinely believe if the squad we have now was embedded at the very start or CL qualifiers we'd be playing in the CL group stages, can't dwell on it now but blaming NL and the backlash he got was really undeserved, he's truly a Real Celtic man and have no doubt he'll bring a lot more success for the club especially in Europe where Rodgers was utterly useless with no plan B, he is already giving the team belief that we are Celtic and can beat anyone on our day at home or away regardless of the opposition ☘️☘️☘️

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Deserves a lot of credit at the minute. Doing a good job and got us solid and playing well going forward..

Going about his work quietly and efficiently..

Cluj we all know he got wrong tactically and personnel wise and I wish we got him his signings in earlier that came towards the end of the window....like Forster for example. We'd have beaten Cluj easily for me..

Anyway...fuckit....it's done. We've got loads to be confident about. League cup shaping up nicely for us. Top after winning at the huns with a far superior goal difference already and just taken a point away at Rennes in a group we can deffo get out of..

Turned it around big time and did it rapidly. This side is only gonna get stronger and stronger. Still gelling and a few haven't even really got going or even had a chance yet..

Anyway, fair play sir..

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON says it’s crazy that Edinburgh rivals Craig Levein and Paul Heckingbottom could face the axe.

The heat has been on Levein after a horror run of three points from 36.

And Heckingbottom, who succeeded Lennon at Easter Road, has also faced fan protests ahead of Sunday’s first derby of the season in Leith.

But Celtic boss Lennon can’t believe people are billing the game as a sacking decider for the two gaffers.

Lennon said: “There are always knee-* reactions in football now.

“Managers are under pressure after three or four games and it’s crazy.

“I don’t know where the thinking comes from.

“Last season Craig reached a cup final, a semi-final and secured the top six. He had a good season.

But I heard one pundit saying there had been a deterioration for a long time. It’s just complete rubbish.

“He’s had four or five games where he hasn’t had his best team on the pitch, he has had a couple of big players injured and, like he said last week, he’s only six points off fourth place.

There seems to be this sort of storyline that evolves and then people believe it and believe it and believe it.

“Obviously they both need results. Paul needs a result, Craig needs a result and it will be interesting watching it.

“But it’s far too early to talk about managers losing their jobs after five or six games.

“Craig and Ann Budge have a good relationship.

I don’t think Ann is naive in any way and she has done a marvellous job at Hearts. She knows the value of Craig, the personality of the man and that he’ll get it right.

“It should be a fascinating match, as the derby always is.

There is obviously a little more spice at the minute because both teams haven’t started the season well, but I’m sure that will change.”

Lennon reckons Angelo Alessio, who brings his Kilmarnock side to Celtic Park on Sunday, is proof of why clubs should be patient.

He said: “It’s difficult when you come in and fill big shoes.

“Angelo had huge shoes to fill, in terms of what Steve Clarke did.

“Now he is seeing results. This guy has a good pedigree.”

17. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Many more tests to come but the game against the huns and that performance last night has restored my faith in lenny. My only worry in the second half was the referee, we looked so assured. Absolute textbook away European performance, got the players going forward to hurt teams and composure at the back not to panic.

18. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :43: I wasn't talking about Lenny, I was talking about folk pulling others up in an almost point scoring fashion.

19. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's great see Lenny sticking it to the doubters. Heard plenty of * when he first got the job. He isnt the man, it's going backwards, it's the cheap option, it's lawells mate etc etc. But fairplay alot of those fans are also giving him his rightful credit now too.

For me the defence has improved no end since the rat departed, that's despite the fact we sold Tierney. Re-signing FF as really sured up the backline too.

I just hope the board can now see what happens when you back Lennon, he knows his football, he knows how to setup to the task.

As for getting it tactically wrong against cluj, hmm maybe but maybe they are just a better team than we had them down for. They beaten Lazio, didn't shame themselves against slavia Prague either. It has to be said cluj are not a bad team at all. With Julien, hartem, boli and Fraser we will be far stronger than the backline that faced them last time

20. shaw1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone / Let the people sing
    I was 100% against lennon returning... I was 100% sure itt was a massive step back and that we would regress massively... I'm also 100% delighted I'm not in charge as Im being shown to be wrong.... Apart from Cluj he hasn't really put a foot wrong this season... I did think and still do he was fortunate to get the results he got at the end of last season, however this season he has out his mark on the team and is winning me over... (still not convinced by bolingoli tho) as I have always said I loved the guy just never thought he should be back after how he left hibs... Never been happier to be proved wrong... (being a married man that happens on a daily basis)... Delighted is going so well for him.