1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mohammed Elyounoussi.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 30, 2019.

Discuss Mohammed Elyounoussi. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I was on a heavy session as me and the missus were away for the weekend, then Sunday more booze then celebrating like *.....I've actually just had a flashback there remembering we signed him. It's like a new deadline day signing to me :56::56:

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Seen the training video of him at Lennoxtown, looks tidy as *.

Good option to have.

Tommy25 and Artorias like this.
  3. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I am really excited(not sexually) about him after being educated on who he was that night we signed him.

bagforlife likes this.
  4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He said on his unveiling interview that lawwell refused to sanction the deal in January 2016 for £3.2m!!!!

5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Poor Ronny.

6. celtic warrior

Look forward to seeing him in action, wouldn't mind if didn't do too well but sits on that line were it's good enough for us but Southampton will consider letting him go for the right price.
    I'm sure we can get him for £8mill rising to £12mill with add ons like making it to CL, appearances etc...

paulie67 likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He was Basel's main man. If he recaptures that form here we are laughing.

paulie67, Tommy25, Rydo1888* and 2 others like this.
  8. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    This is my new favourite post :56::56:

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Glad you cleared that up! Ha ha

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

POLISHING rough diamonds into valuable gems is part of the job description as Celtic manager. Gone are the days when the top Scottish clubs could compete with those of similar size in England and further afield for the best talent.

Now, current Celtic boss Neil Lennon knows it is part of his remit, and also a necessity due to the relative financial limitations he is working under, that he often has to find a player young and develop him or he take on those whose careers have perhaps gone awry and helps them rediscover their spark.

In the cases of two of his summer signings, Mohamed Elyounoussi and Moritz Bauer, helping them find their mojo again is very much the task ahead of Lennon as he looks to get the best out of players who have recently lost their way a little.

In the case of Elyounoussi especially, he is excited by the talent that he could tap into if he can get the winger back to the form that persuaded Southampton to part with the best part of £16m to prise him from Swiss side Basel just a little over a year ago.

“I think all players who maybe don’t play, or it hasn’t worked out for them at a certain club, can go again,” Lennon said.

“This is a different environment obviously and you have to deal with the expectations, but he was playing for a big club in Switzerland, and in the Champions League, and he was a very, very good player for Basel. Maybe this change of scenery and environment might reignite him. That’s what we’re hoping anyway.

“He had a stellar career at Basel to the point where he was one of Norway’s best players and he went to Southampton for big money. It didn’t work out for him, that happens. But I don’t think you lose the ability.

“I think in him and Bauer we’ve got players with pedigree who are hungry to play and hungry to, if not prove a point then get back to playing at the level they know they are capable of. It’s up to me to tap into that.

I think technically he’s a good player, he’s smart, a very fit lad. The two of them are actually.

I think he will get goals at this level. I think there is experience there and he’ll be okay at Europa League level too.”

Elyounoussi failed to score in 16 appearances in the English Premier League last season, but Lennon was happy to explain what he feels he can bring to the Celtic side to fans whose only experience of the player lately may have been from fleeting glimpses on Match of the Day.

Although, those with longer memories may remember his virtuoso showing for Molde at Celtic Park four years ago, where he ran the show and found the net as the Norwegians inflicted defeat on Ronny Deila’s side.

“He can play right, he can play left and he can play off the striker,” said Lennon.

“He’s not blindingly quick but he’s smart and he’s a good mover, he’s quite lithe and he sees a pass and he’s a decent finisher as well.

“We’re hoping this will be an opportunity for him to get back to where he was maybe a year or two ago.”

Alas, should Celtic get the 25-year-old back in the groove, it is still likely to be a fleeting visit to Glasgow for Elyounoussi, with the Scottish champions having no option to buy when his loan deal expires at the end of the season.

“I’m not sure we could afford it,” Lennon said. “Though maybe he hasn’t lived up to the price tag. “He’s played a bit for Southampton in the Premier League but again there’s been a change of manager. It doesn’t look like he’s in Ralph Hasenhuttl’s plans.

But that doesn’t make him a bad player. Having Kris Ajer here is good for him as well, a compatriot who will help him settle.

“Hopefully we’ll get the best out of him again.”

The signing of Elyounoussi rounded off a satisfactory summer transfer window for Lennon,

Lilac Wine, Tommy25 and paulie67 like this.
  12. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Hope he plays. I've git him in my Ladbrokes fantasy team.

13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That’s good to know that he can play a few positions, had it in my head that he was a left sided player

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I have corrected your post for factual accuracy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Lilac Wine, Artorias and bagforlife like this.
  15. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Definitely tactically limited and perhaps also not the greatest at man management; but it was clear from the start he was a * good coach and with hindsight it has become clear he can definitely spot a player. It's hard not to feel sorry for him, because he was such a nice guy and he definitely deserved more backing than he got; but I can actually understand why Lawwell didn't really back him financially. Backing an unproven rookie manager, especially one like Ronny*, is really risky. I think Lawwell was just doing his job there.

However, given he already proved his ability to spot a player in his first stint, not backing Lenny heavily will be unforgivable.

* By "someone like Ronny", I mean that his limitations tactically and in terms of controlling big egos in the dressing room (especially looking at you here, Kris) were all too apparent quite quickly; whereas of his big strengths, great coaching takes a while to show and his ability to work with the scouting team and spot players is only really apparent in hindsight (it still irks me that many people give Rodgers the credit for spotting Dembele).

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Buzzing to see him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Another one who's Youtube highlights video makes him look unstoppable. I hope its true and that he tears the league apart.

But then again when you watch Daniel Arzani's video he too looks like he could tear the league apart and he's played like 10 minutes for us and done nothing else.

But here's hoping

paulie67 likes this.
  18. Crilly

That's because he is still not fully fit from an injury he sustained during that 10 minutes????

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And it was an excellent 10 minute cameo anaw :56:

Lilac Wine and Crilly like this.
  20. ArminCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley