1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That pun's so bad it made me smile.

JML67 likes this.
  2. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    From the youtube videos he looks a great passata of the ball

3. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Record interview with Richard Jack from the Manchester Evening News

What type of player is he – including strengths/weaknesses?

A versatile defender who is best suited to playing as a central defender, but was mainly utilised as a full back due to defensive shortages last season.

Better suited to playing in a central role and has a good work rate which has helped him to impress coaches.

How highly regarded was he within the academy?

O'Connor was rated as one of the hottest talents in the current youth set-up at the club and was tipped to make his first-team debut had he stayed at United this season.

Any notable achievements?

Despite having no match experience in senior football O'Connor received international recognition last year when was named as part of Martin O'Neil's senior Ireland side for the Nations League encounter vs Denmark.

He was also added to United's Champions League squad ahead of facing Barcelona last year, but never made a match day squad.

Why has he been allowed to leave?

There was real surprise once the deal was announced, and O'Connor was highly rated by fans at Old Trafford.

An academy restructure in the summer might have reduced his playing opportunities going forward, but his pathway to men's football looks to be clearer playing in Scotland.

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Stephen Kenny believes new Celtic recruit Lee O’Connor is best suited to playing at right-back.

The versatile Waterford lad, 19, left Manchester United to sign a four-year deal with the Bhoys late on Monday night.

But he was on the first plane home yesterday morning and trained with the Ireland Under-21s ahead of Friday’s crunch European qualifier against Armenia.

O’Connor, who has played at fullback, centre back and central midfield, has already featured in a senior Irish squad.

He was invited in for training purposes only in what proved to be Martin O’Neill’s last game in charge away to Denmark last November.

But he was then added to the travelling party proper for that Aarhus clash but remains uncapped at senior level.

Yet he is a key figure in Kenny’s Under-21s having played all five games at the recent Toulon Tournament and also featured for the Under-19s at the Euro finals in July.

Kenny said of the Celtic move: “The first I knew about it was Saturday night. He rang me and said he'd keep me informed, the possibility of needing permission to miss training.

“It's not a bad reason to miss training, to sign for Celtic for four years. It's hard to know what's a good move and isn't for players but he feels it's a good move for him.”

O’Connor knows it won’t be easy to break into Neil Lennon’s first-team but felt it was the right time to take his chance away from Old Trafford.

The teenager was set to travel to China with the Red Devils in pre-season and even had his visa sorted.

But with Aaron Wan-Bissaka signed and Diogo Dalot still in the mix, he was down the pecking order and went to the Euros in Armenia instead with Tom Mohan’s Under-19s.

Kenny said: “Going to Celtic is a challenge. It’ll be very difficult to get into the first-team and I’m sure he’s going with his eyes wide open.

“They’re in the Europa group stages and are constantly wanting to get into the Champions League.

“That’s the bar they’re trying to set so it’s not easy to get into the team there. But for his age, he has very good characteristics and an excellent attitude.

“But I think he’s definitely a right back. He can play centre back but he’s a raider, a good defender who also raids.”

Of his move to the Scottish champions, O’Connor said: "It feels surreal at the moment.”

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

More of a right back. Strange one with him and Frimpong both playing the same position.

9. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Watching his highlights and so far he looks incredible defensively,

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Dublin Celt and Crilly like this.
  10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I seen somewhere that Frimpong can play both LB and RB equally, perhaps we've brought him in for our youth LB and O'Connor for our RB?

11. Jeremie Frimpong

I think that he'll mainly play at centre-half for us.

12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He looked very good playing as a sitting cm at the euros during the summer. Seems very comfortable at rb or lb.. played a fair bit at cb for United. Seems he fills in where needed and just gets on with it.. that's his key to a breakthrough, his versatility until he makes a position his own

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Type of player we can have on the bench, can come in and play CB, RB, LB and CM..

What an asset.

14. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome to Celtic young man

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think he’ll be put in as a sitting mid, too short for a centre back and we’ve plenty options at full back now even in the youth team. McInroy still injured as well? Plus Henderson out on loan so there’s a gap there to fill.

Tommy25 and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  16. Maestro 08

Quite possibly. We're crying out for another CDM with a bit of bite so maybe he's been brought in to be moulded into that position. He certainly looks to have good battling qualities and appears to be an excellent reader of the game. Few have also mentioned he has played there quite a bit for Ireland as well. So not a bad shout.

Tommy25 and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  17. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Seems a cracking player this felly, covers all areas at the back aswell :50:
    Aswell as the first team needing cover, Morrison leaving to Bayern also has something to do with this purchase

18. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Said myself a few pages back he looks to have all the qualities of a good DM. Didn't realise he has played there for Ireland!
    I think if we are smart here he could be our replacement for Broony and have him phased in over this season and next.

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Watching his videos he reads the game very well and has that bit of tenacity about him. Could very well be a successor to the man himself.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Man united fans rated James Wilson. I'll wit til I see him.

Tommy25 likes this.