1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rating our transfer business.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2019.

Discuss Rating our transfer business. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We’re definitely stronger..

GK - Three quality GK and if Forster can recapture his form, he’s an upgrade, his mere presence makes us more solid.

RB - We have went from having no viable RBs, to the excellent Elhamed and a buy option with Bauer. With young Frimpong able to play either RB or LB.

LB - Mbombo is going to be an excellent acquisition, after a shaky start really think there’s a player there. Taylor young and talented and has a bit of dig about him, so it will be interesting to see how he develops. Considering KT didn’t play that much last season, we’ve improved our options in that position.

CB - Jullien looked absolutely immense v The Hun, composed yet aggressive when needed and can pass, an upgrade on Boyata. Him and Ajer could be some partnership. Then we have brought in the highly rated O’Connor captain of Man U reserves, who is a CB firstly, we must have promised him some first team action, exciting.

Midfield - Turnbull was agreed and will probably still arrive in the Jan window, it’s our strongest part of the the side and holding on to McGregor, Ntcham and Christie was just as important as adding a CM. Kouassi should be given a shot, as DM is an issue in Europe and it’s the only thing that doesn’t makes this window a 9/10 (that and the amount of time it took to do our business). Don’t forget Rogic, a fully firing Rogic is unstoppable domestically. Not to forget Connell really like the way this lad comes across, looked well away from the first team v Rennes tho, so will be interesting to see how he develops.

Wingers - Extremely excited about Elyounoussi with him and MJ sharing the left and even Sinclair as an option we are very very strong. Forrest has had incredible early season form on the right, want to see more of Shved and less of Morgan,
    Morgan can play either wing but Lenny tends to sub Forrest and move MJ to the right.(imo Morgan who should have been loaned, Lenny obviously rates him and I guess we need to trust him). Then we we have Hayes, Dembele and Arzani too... so many quality wide options.

Forwards - Edouard he’s going to we World Class, simple as.. Griffiths needs game time to get up to speed and Bayo looks like a great option. An area we didn’t need to strengthen, with Okoflex looking ready to make the step up when required and Alofabi looking to make an impact too with his relatively short term contract..

We are stronger, especially defensively and didn’t lose Ntcham or McGregor which is massive too.

An 8/10 window and Hammond looks like he knows what he’s doing, hope we make his position permanent.

2. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Going by the last transfer fees of the individuals we brought in by purchase or loan I reckon they are worth a combined £47m +

That is a lot of dosh for talent

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    I went for 8/10. We've signed:

- A quality keeper who is better than what we already had. Hopefully he'll be made permanent next summer.
    - Two RBs, one of whom has shown himself to be good enough already, another who has decent pedigree and if he proves himself to be good enough, we make it permanent next summer.
    - A CB who looks the part so far. Really think we'll be rock solid with him, Ajer and Elhamed as top picks in there.
    - Two LBs, one of whom is starting to settle in but is perhaps defensively suspect, another who has done well in our league already. Both an obvious step down from KT, but they give us different options which is important.
    - Elyounoussi I know very little about, but it seems like something of a coup and I'm excited to see how it turns out.
    - Bayo is essentially a new signing and the early signs are promising. Hopefully Shved gets a chance soon.

The youth signings I'm very happy with. Some on here are very impatient and think we need to sign a quality XI every window. That's not how football works, and we are down the pecking order in terms of money in football. We need a certain business model to function, and building for the future is wise. As an added bonus, really happy to see young Irish players at Celtic.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    charlietully and Whoflungdung like this.
  4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The most pleasing thing is that we have shored up the defence, middle tae front i think we look awesome, Lenny really looks to have installed a lot of passion into the players, this was evident on Sunday.

5. horseshoe

The only position I'd say we're weaker going forward is first choice LB, but really that was always going to be the case when KT left. The amount of deadwood shipped out and replaced with decent to high rated young guys is encouraging, even if only 1 or 2 of them make the step up in future it's better than having a load of squad filler you know won't ever make the bench.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  6. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

6/10. A few signings too late to bed in and make an impact when it really mattered, Tierney dragged out to *, still no player to rotate with Brown, botched Sinclair renewal, more loans.

If FF finds his form, Julien lives up to his price tag and Boli improves then our deals on a whole drastically improve. I'm confident big mad Elhamed is the business and would think Elyounoussi will grab a few goals.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  7. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Been impressed with this transfer window I feel we have more depth in the squad this season and we brought in some very exciting young players.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  8. Crilly

Best transfer window in a very very long time I think. Rodgers first season we got a few really good signings but needed a Gk and rb desperately for 3 * years. Lennon fairplay, he's come in got us 3 rb's, 2 looking good so far, 1 potential. 2/3 cb's including elhamed. 2 good one potential. A keeper who we know is quality, 2 Lb's. One looking good and the other I've never really seen but seems rated well. Young cdm in Connell, Lw, development st. We're looking
    Good here good strength in depth and playing well. Delighted with it tbh. Only bad thing was no wanyama but that was a pipe dream

JC Anton likes this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Us securing the best deal for KT shouldn’t be a slight on the window..

Spring Time likes this.
  10. Murph-E

Still think we undersold Tierney. £25mil is a massive bargain for Arsenal, and he'll be sorely missed.

Pleased with who we have brought in. Jullien will be top quality, and bringing in Forster and Elyounoussi makes us so much stronger. Not a big Taylor fan, would have much preferred Meling, so up to him to prove me wrong now.

The depth we now have is fantastic. Very impressive.

Those youth team signings and a different direction and very exciting as well.

Pleased overall. We were very slow and lagged badly for a long period of the window, but the end result is positive.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Whoflungdung likes this.
  11. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The only downside for me is the late business. If we had done stuff earlier or Lenny had the confidence in his early signings, we could have made CL group stages. As soon as the English window closed we should have been immediately active

12. david100825

Happy with the business. Would have liked a long term replacement for Brown, I can see that being the next pain point but otherwise our depth is great.

Surprised not to see a few more leave but I’m sure that’ll happen in January. Insane number of wide midfielders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    No sure where to put this but seeing how happy the camp visibly is.....I can't help but praise our business..

We've clearly got rid of a lot of deadwood and one or two bad apple's the least (Mulumbu for example)..

We've clearly wanted to bring in quality but character's with a bit of experience, pace and energy, and a drive to improve or point to prove..

Elhamed. Jullien. Bauer. These three are just some examples of guy's who have instantly got it and integrated well, as well as showing their quality also. Boli and Taylor you can see are also of the same ilk..

Then we've got younger boy's where we clearly saw a change in our recruitment and really focused on bringing some top class kid's in who were and are first team or almost ready right now. As we've heard from Lenny regarding Frimpong and heard the likes of Afolabi.....who are both infectious and all want to be here and do well..

Then we've the likes of Forster and Elyounoussi who are quality loan's that have slotted in really easily..

So so different to last season and the harmony, which just wasn't there for a number of reason's..

Our recruitment has been excellent quality wise for on and off the park..

We don't look soft anymore and have added some character's that won't be bullied and have made us a better side..

A big summer job in and out which has gone well. Only a few to shift and look forward to January where I think we'll strengthen again..

Happy day's..

14. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Our players have really intergrated well, Bolingoli offers us some different against teams that completely sit back and once he's up to speed, hopefully Taylor will offer us the opposite, genuinely think they'll be interest in Elhamed come the January window, fantastic acquistion.

Best thing about it is it leaves us only needs 2/3 players next window. A CDM to properly rotate with Brown, a young CB to rotate with Ajer and Jullien and perhaps a CM/CAM depending if Rogic/Ntcham leaves, better than last window where we needed multiple players and only got loans.

15. jj81

Where are those suspicious eyes for @barry1916 :101:

16. jj81

8 for me

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye it was impossible to fix it all in one window...but instead of it looking dauntingly like many....it now looks like we can look almost a complete side over the next two..

We've got leaders like Jullien in and Ajer emerging. Takes that emphasis off of Broony..

It's really been testament to Lenny, Hammond and co working away to shape is up to what we're seeing now....which is a pretty good side, defensively improving by the game, can score at will, with plenty of quality depth for the first time in year's..

18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Considering the state of the squad, through many transfer windows of pure neglect, I consider it a success, would go 8 out of 10.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Acquisition of player registrations of £6.2m

Thats interesting in the accounts. In that period we signed Bayo, Shved, Jullien and Connell yet they are saying we only spent £6.2million on them yet its speculated they were £2million Bayo, £2million Shved, £7million Jullien and £300k or whatever on Connell which isnt even close it's £5million of a difference :97:

Could be the reality is like

£1million Shved
    £1million Bayo
    £4million Jullien
    £200k Connell

Kind of makes sense as Jullien was in the last year of his contract. Connell I think only being 17 would only have been due like £80k compensation or something and Bolton said we gave them more. Shved's team contacted us to buy him it was said as they were going to lose him for free to Dynamo Kiev so rather than getting about £200k in compensation they might have been happy to get £1million and Bayo came from a nobody Slovakian team so probably did only cost about £1million.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  20. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Mad the depth we seem to have now. We've had a strong first 11 for years but a few injuries away from a mini crisis. Now we seem to be strong in reserve for nearly every position