1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lee O'Connor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Sep 2, 2019.

Discuss Lee O'Connor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CFC.1

I’m just playing Ketch-up with all these puns this morning

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Boys ya canny just recycle all the page 2+3 puns

3. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

Any ideas on the transfer fees for him and Frimpong?

4. angusceltic67

Both undisclosed fees I think.

Maybe buyback or sell on clauses involved?

5. s88 Gold Member Gold Member

Great peice of business. What position does he play? Looks like LB & RB from his highlights video.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Thought he had a great Catholic sounding name, then found out he's actually a jus...

Lupis likes this.
  7. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    What sort of fee is he costing cause he was highly rated

8. Cringer67

9. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    He played cm for the 19s and has played there for the 21s moving forward I would like to see him there as a 6...

10. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He's a full back that has the all round ability and attitude to fill in at cb or cm.. it's one thing being a full back that can play outta position underage, another thing entirely being able to do it at senior level.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

11. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Welcome lad

12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This is what I got from his YouTube. That solo run was very impressive plus a great endorsement from MON putting him in the National squad.

13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
  14. shieldsybhoy

Not condemning the boy but Man U fans were also waxing lyrical about Saidy Janko.

Tommy25 and thailandceltic like this.
  15. The Don

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Looks a real prospect fast and likes a tackle, very good passer of the ball as well. I really like that the club is looking at the future with the recent signings, exciting times ahead for us Hoops.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AS a young kid from Waterford at Manchester United, it was inevitable that Lee O'Connor would be compared with John O'Shea.

The fact that he was a versatile defender that could play at centre half or in either full back position meant that the statement went far beyond geography.

O'Connor is also a popular and well adjusted teenager who has been regarded as captain material by both club and country on his move through the ranks

But he will not be following in O'Shea's footsteps by making the breakthrough into senior football at Old Trafford.

Instead, he has relocated north to Celtic after an unexpected move was completed ahead of the close of the Scottish transfer deadline last night.

O'Connor is the latest Irish prospect to make the move north of the border, following in the footsteps of Luca Connell and Jonathan Afolabi - two of his team-mates from his underage international career.

Connell left Bolton this summer after training with Mick McCarthy's senior side, while Afolabi earned a three-year contract after his impressive displays in the European U19 Championships - in a side captained by O'Connor.

Both players suffered a gut-wrenching end to that competition when suspension ruled them out of the semi final loss to Portugal.

It was a boost for Tom Mohan that United allowed O'Connor to travel for that tournament.

But it possibly also told the player that his future lay elsewhere. He had gone through the visa requirements to travel with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team for their tour of China. However, they decided to go with other options and have now allowed O'Connor to depart on a permanent basis.

He was registered for United's Champions League panel ahead of their showdown with Barcelona in April, and was around the first team on a number of occasions without ever making the bench.

O'Shea and Darron Gibson did make the breakthrough this century, but O'Connor has arrived at the same crossroads that led Paul McShane and Robbie Brady to go in a different career direction - after outlasting other United hopefuls that fell by the wayside earlier.

In the name of development, it's probably a percentage call to go elsewhere in search of first team football although it will be far from straightforward at Celtic where there are a number of young prospects seeking to break into Neil Lennon's plans.

Indeed, his arrival was announced just after Celtic confirmed the capture of Dutch teen Jeremie Frimpong from Manchester City, another recruit from a big academy that can play in a number of positons.

Lennon could speak to his old boss Martin O'Neill if he wanted a recommendation. Ten months ago, O'Connor was brought to Denmark to train with the Ireland seniors in what proved to be O'Neill's final game in charge.

"He's a very impressive young man," said O'Neill at the time. "He's a quiet lad, as Nicky * said to Roy [Keane] about him. I've been very impressed with him — as a person and as a player. I don't think he's one of those lads who will get carried away with it."

O'Connor has since graduated into Stephen Kenny's U21 squad, nailing down a place as the first choice right back.

Yet he has also gained a lot of experience in the centre of defence for Manchester United's U-23 team.

He's short of six foot, which means that some managers will harbour concerns about his physicality when it comes to trusting him in a central defensive position at senior level.

O'Connor is a technically assured performer, however, and has time on his side in an attempt to figure out his future.

The news that United had opted to let him go did surprise fans that had closely followed his progress across his three years in England.

His challenge now is to prove that Solskjaer and his staff have made a big mistake.

18. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

Lee O'Connor has revealed his reasons for leaving Manchester United on European transfer deadline day.

The 19-year-old defender signed for Celtic on Monday after agreeing a four-year deal with the Scottish champions for an undisclosed fee.

O'Connor impressed during his three years at United and made 21 appearances for the club's Under-23s side last season, but will now be plying his trade in Scotland following his move.

“It feels surreal at the moment but I’m just looking forward to getting the international break over with and then starting with Celtic," O'Connor told the Celtic website.

“I found out last weekend about Celtic’s interest, and it went from there.

"Today was a bit hectic but I’m just glad to get it through before the window shuts."

Irish players have a proud history at the Scottish club, with reserves duo Jonathan Afolabi and Barry Coffey two fellow youth internationals who are forging a reputation at Celtic Park.

O'Connor revealed that he spoke to Afolabi prior to his move and had no hesitation to head to Glasgow after his friend had endorsed the club so well.

The youngster added: “I spoke to Johnny and he told me how everyone made him feel welcome, how well he’s settled in and how much he likes it, so that really helped me too. I’m good friends with Johnny and Barry, so it’ll definitely help me settle in.

“I just want to get started, work hard and give it my all, and hopefully the manager and all the staff will see why they’ve brought me here and I can make an impact.”

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Number did he get?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

:fear: