1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

work issue

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by St Patrick, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss work issue in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy McCourt, Paddy Roberts, Sammy, Edouard
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    Can someone give me advice on a work problem I'm having?

Was on the sick for a while and started volunteering at a place to get experience. Unfortunately, been getting harassed there and my confidentiality was breached on a couple of issues regarding my health.

As I haven't worked for a while, I need the reference, so don't know whether or not to complain or just leave and hopefully secure a good one for jobs I'm interested in. I know if I leave, the matter would be swept under the carpet whereas if I complain it would be at least addressed but likely unsuccessful as it's the staff doing it and I have no real allies.

I have been meaning to do something for a while but I'm torn between the two. Can anyone help?

2. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Take them to the task. Cant let * get away with harassment in the work place...plus confidentiality breaches are a serious no no.

I feel for you mate.

I've been off on the sick for long periods due to health but I've been lucky and never had problems with my employer now and previous charities help

Hope it works out for you

Johniebhoy. and St Patrick like this.
  3. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Sounds like that place is full of snakes.

You know what to do.

4. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    If I did I wouldn't be posting this mate.

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If you're struggling for a reference just make one up. Say you worked odd shifts for someone you know and get a friend or family member to act as the reference. That's what we all used to do.

6. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Does the work place have a set of grievance procedures in place? If so try and obtain a copy. Keep a record of any harassment and if possible proof. ie record it on your phone.

I'm not sure how your health confidentiality has been breached but that certainly shouldn't be happening.

If you can record and obtain proof you've a much stronger case if you can go the work Human Resources Department.

If you'd prefer not to go into details here feel free to PM me. I've a brother who was a Union Rep and he has a far better understanding of this kind of thing.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    ^

References are only a confirmation that you worked somewhere these days.

Blochairnbhoy and Marie like this.
  8. ddub11

Hope im understanding you proper,
    Your doing volunteer work and staying so ye can get a reference?

If thats the case you can volunteer loads of places and get a reference form any of them,so ye can leave anytime no problem.

Now regarding the harassment,report it to management/HR/union rep,if its a case you feel you cant you only have two options,Leave(no big deal as a said volunteer work is easy to find)and forget it,or approach who ever it is doing the harassment and invite them outside to sort it out and give them a few smacks.

9. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    The volunteering gives me good experience for a job I'm soon applying for, hence why I'm wnd torried about the reference.

Plus I've been there over a year, so worried it wouldn't look good if I got no proper reference.

But they might not give me one anyway. I'm not confident the complaint would be acted upon, as they are staff in every day and I'm just in once a week and most of the people I got on with have left.

And they're all * huns ofc.

10. StevieBhoooy!

Firstly.... it’s fkn outrageous that people should get treated poorly when they are volunteering somewhere that probably desperately needs them... but isn’t that just UK in 2019??? Zero hours contracts and ‘interns’ etc (fkn stupid American term for desperate * numpty) .

Secondly. Volunteering somewhere for a year should be more than enough time to deserve a decent reference.... if not why should they have kept you?

Just get the appropriate union involved or citizens advice, even your gp (if relevant) involved... it’s no skin off their noses to give you a decent reference if deserved and might be worth their while to do so if they’d rather get rid of you.

Charities or any company you may volunteer for still have a duty of care and conditions they have to meet. The moment they think they might be in legal hot water... they will be doing whatever is needed.

I work for myself at present but a previous employer tried to shaft me .. I was on a decent contract , so after a takeover when new management went on a cost-cutting drive ... they went after me fairly early on...

I wanted to leave anyway but made sure I went on my terms by ‘playing the game’ they started. In addition to a decent payoff (despite having another job lined up anyway) i basically wrote my own reference (with union involvement) and which the company obligingly signed off.

Just sticking up for yourself and talking to the right people is the first and best step.

bagforlife and TheHappyLoss like this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If it is a charity with a head office go directly to them and explain that you don't feel you can make a complaint locally as you don't feel it would be acted upon. If you are doing anything by phone make sure you note the name of the person you speak to the date and time. If you email keep copies. Ask for a timeframe as to when some action will be taken and make sure to follow it up if nothing has happened by the agreed time. Let's face it, if it has happened to you it will likely have happened before, and will continue happening, unless someone speaks up about it. Good luck with it if you do go ahead with an official complaint.

12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

That’s the minimum they have to confirm.

A good, fair employer can give you far more than that.

13. horseshoe

Speak to citizens advice, a breach of confidentiality on anything especially health issues is really serious. I've been off work for the best part of the last six months because of long term health issues, I know if I was a random that was just taking too many days off work I'd have been binned ages ago, but because I have something recorded and sick notes from the doctor they're accomodating, is there anythign we can do to help you get to work etc... but it's all within HR, nobody else should hear about it, a breach can really * them, most employers are hyper aware of this. don't even bother raising it internally, find a higher company outlet to make your complaint.

14. Mr Cleansheets

Sounds like you're torn between the need for a decent reference (to help with the paid job application) and the need for justice. Putting aside the need for the reference (can't judge that) the question I ask is this:

If you walked away and did nothing, how much would it gnaw your guts out that * got away with it?

Side issue, what the * is this volunteering for a year *? You do work, you got to be paid. This really * me off this stuff.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. M 67

Firstly, the likelihood is they won’t actually chase up your references (think it’s happened to me once).

Secondly, they can only ask certain questions (eg did XYZ work here from A to B, etc). I’m pretty sure they can’t legally mention any grievances you’ve had against them, etc. I don’t know though!

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Not the case in my experience, I got asked to provide references for ex employees fairly regularly.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

My parents run a business and they got phoned up about a reference for a woman who was sacked for stealing :56: I'm guessing she never got that job either... why the * put her down as a reference. Mental.

18. Nasser

Both those are serious and against the law.

I wouldn't rely on in-house to complain because like you said they could cover it up.

I would go much higher than that. These people can't get away this behavior, if it's not you then it could be someone else and that someone may be a lot mentally weaker than you and it could push them over the edge.

I would write down all that happened to you, the dates of each occasion even if it's just something you feel is little it will still be important in a report to show a periods of harassment, and then take them to task about it and go above them with the complaint and if that doesn't work look into getting them done.

Johniebhoy. likes this.
  19. St Patrick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Roamin' in the Gloamin'
    This * ended up ruining me because I self medicated seroquel which i hadnt touched in eight years and it * castrated me.

I want to get murderous revenge onnthese * fuckung dirty iranj bastardsaxe them to death