1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate fans conundrum

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Gioventu, Aug 21, 2019.

Discuss Ultimate fans conundrum in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

For fans that go to the games - Interested to hear what everyone views are.

After repeatedly being short changed by the board, lack of reinvestment and a team that has regressed in quality season by season recently...at what point do you decide (if any) that you put your foot down and stop spending your own money on the club.

Really difficult call as on one hand it breaks your heart not to go to the games etc but on the other, is there any other way the board would take heid?

2. joemc

Yeh stop buying food and merchandise at games ,or celtic products anytime until it gets a reaction ., green brigade banner ,not buying ! neither are we .

Moore and Marie like this.
  3. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    I like this idea :50: But not as much as I love pies...But for the cause and all that!

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

If we throw away the 9 this season I’m out when it comes to my season ticket. There’s a difference between competing and losing the league, then just throwing it away. Our recruitment suggests the latter this year if it’s lost.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Moore and Gioventu like this.
  5. oh bhoy

i stopped going when Strahan was in charge due to the lack of investment I never dreamed of would as bad as it is now

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think it's a route that many supporters want to go down but when you are being treated in the contempt that we are treated with, when 20,000 empty seats didn't lead to change, when banners in the stands after various European/Domestic disasters don't lead to change then people will naturally look at withdrawing financial support to instigate change.

In response to a question in 2014 about how Celtic supporters felt they weren't getting value for money, Lawwell said:

"We still have just under 40,000 season-ticket holders. Number one, a Celtic supporter supports the club through thick and thin."

That is the issue. They bank on that loyalty and support, irrespective of what they do and believe it gives them carts blanche to do as they please without considering us, the paying customers. Their whole plan goes up in smoke if people make a stand against a CEO's basic salary rising by 692% over a 15 year period while the salaries of the football side remain static.

I've had a season ticket for over 20 years and I'm on the HCTS, which I'm going to maintain but the buying of merchandise, food & drink on matchday, hospitality, speakers nights etc. are all on hold until we stop being taken for a ride.

7. Paradise88

My seat went up £80 in two seasons. We were giving Man City a run for there money, now Romanian farmers are pumping us.

8. freitassen

I already did. I could easily subscribe to Celtic TV instead of pirating, travelling to Scotland for matches a few times more in a year, buying a new jersey, but at this point not just it is not worth it but also I dont want my hard earned money contributing to Lawwell's bonus. If they run the club the way tories run a council I have no reason to emotionally sink money at them as if it was a charity

9. scootz

Think it's quite amusing hearing all the suggestions of hitting the club in the pocket - particularly when many of the loudest are the same cheap * who are in here every match day greetin' about the quality of their pirate streams! Effectively stealing from the club!

:56:

Working class hero's! They're something to be!

:56:

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    It’s a very difficult one. I think merchandise, food and that need to stop being purchased. That’s first port of call. But the board need to know the fans are doing it. Secondly, banners every weekend against the board. Green Brigade have many flaws but they know how to display fan unrest to the board. Then stop buying cup tickets and European tickets. Many people are * in that sense because they are on HCTS. So I think people cancelling that subscription, it it was done in the proper way. As a support, say 10k worth of cancelled subscriptions all at once. The board would start to take serious notes. The not turning up to games? I struggle with that. I pay big money for my season ticket. Have done for nearly 11 years. I want value for money and I pay to see Celtic. Granted, I’m being shafted but I think there is other more effective ways of voicing our displeasure

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I really don't understand this obsession with withholding money to get the club to spend.

If anything it will have the opposite effect.

Counter productive.

Hoops(thereitis) likes this.
  12. cfc_kenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think it's unlikely attendances will drop much this season, the board know how important the 10 is to the fans. Unfortunately some of us might overestimate how important it is to the board.

Besides, the team on the pitch still need our support, it isn't the players fault we're in this situation.

Boycotting the pitiful kiosks would do your body the world of good, but I don't think it would put much of a dent in the fat cats pockets.

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I’ve not had my ticket in years now but I still contribute to the club in other ways. Haven’t spent a penny on Celtic merchandise this year though and why should I/we?

14. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I used to think that mate. But why should * be out bursting their arses to pay these people a belter of a wage and get nothing but contempt in return?

I’ll never stop loving Celtic but there’s a time when fans need to make a stand when things aren’t adding up.

We’re spoiled to a degree but that’s what happens when the board set expectations so high and don’t maintain them.

Seán Mac D and Sean Daleer like this.
  15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Profitability and maintaining share price are the 2 main aims of the PLC, both are impacted by a sustained decrease in the various income streams that we have.

A business can't be successful if it continues to ignore it's customer base.

Random Review and Sean Daleer like this.
  16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I agree something needs done mate. I just don't think boycotts or suspending buying merchandise will have the desired effect.

I'm one to talk though, my spend on Celtic these days is a strip or two for my kids, some DVDs and books etc..

Doogs. likes this.
  17. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I won’t have an affect alone mate, that’s true. But small things like this can make the suits sit up and take notice.

I’m the same man, few strips for myself and the wee man and a few games a season. It’s a lot of money for * like us though.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. scootz

But we're not just talking about 'business' and 'customer' here though are we.

It's Celtic - a love of our lives! Normal rules don't apply!

It's not some faceless corporation that we turn out backs on when * we don't like happens.

... and if someone feels that they can, then * 'em - they're not a true fan!

Mickmac likes this.
  19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Not a true fan :giggle1:

Nocunt is turning their back on the club. WE ARE THE * CLUB!!!!

Not * Tory * in a board room that continuously make scandalous business decisions that go against everything we as fans stand for.

* them. We are Celtic, not * them!

20. James Gold Member Gold Member

I'd miss it too much if I gave my season book up had it pretty much all my life. I'm never one to cast up about prices of tickets for cup games or anything like that because it's never really a surprise but my over riding feeling just now is sheer can't be arsedness :giggle1:. Last Tuesday has absolutely sickened me