1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawwell isnt the problem...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Aug 19, 2019.

Discuss Lawwell isnt the problem... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik

After about 5 minutes in these guys talk about Cluj, Lennon and Lawell and for me they nail it.

In what other business would the CEO of a company get away with losing out in £100m in the last 6 years?

What has happened in the last 10 days isnt new and it is the product of a series of failings for years.

Tommy25 and jocksteinupper like this.
  2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    While I think Desmond’s lack of involvement is frustrating, I don’t think he should have to put his hands in his pocket. We should be able to finance our own signings with our turnover and major player sales/European money. Having £50m sitting in a bank is * insane considering what that money could be potentially turned into. Had we went out and spent £25m this season, the KT money, we would have been playing in the champions league play off tonight. Yes, a marquee signing like a Robbie Keane, Roy Keane or potentially someone like Wanyama? All for him financing the move but the issue with Desmond is he isn’t calling out the boards lack of investment while we are cash rich. He needs to be more involved.

Tommy25, martin_d and Liam Scales like this.
  3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Right...I have one share in the club...that I bought in 2006 for a rather pricey £31.. from a dodgy advert in the Daily Mirror...Hey, I'd had a couple...anyway..I'm on the next bus up to force him out and to implement a brand new £100m spending spree on...assorted snacks.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If hes not willing to put his hand in his pocket he shouldn't be there.

I dont believe in this we need CL qualification to buy and we need to sell to buy stuff. What's the point in him being there? And the rest of them in that case. Millionaires and billionaires who are just there to reap the rewards when they like it but not willing to invest on the park.

As someone posted above we are completely reactionary. Theres no proactive approach which is precisely what is required when you're a club in our position having to play these qualifiers every summer. Every summer we under prepare. We get away with it now and again but if he did actually spend a bit and speculate to accumulate so to speak, he may never have to again as these qualifiers would become a * of a lot more straight forward!

I'm really failing to see the point in him at the moment. For the most part hes * anonymous! Would be more than willing to take a punt on someone else who was willing to buy him out at this stage.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Is he allowed to put his hand in his pocket? I read somewhere, might be complete nonsense, that he can’t put money into the club unless he buys more shares and becomes the owner? Might be bullshit.

With regards to the European money or selling main assets. I’m not saying we HAVE to do it but the likelihood is, every year, one big player will want to leave. *, even arsenal were selling players to get their targets. We should remain the buy low, sell high model but we should absolutely have players lined up to fill these guys shoes. Edouard was an absolutely sensational loan to buy option. He replaced Dembele and we haven’t really missed him since. We need to be much shrewder in the transfer market than we are being. That’s where the issues of scouting need addressed and while it seems extremely slow, it sounds as if that is exactly what that Hammond fella is trying to do now. Revamp our scouting department.

Back to Desmond, I get pig sick of him never being around. Would I take someone who is far less wealthy and more involved? Absolutely. He’s not going anywhere unless he puts his shares up. Can someone no get on to Sir Rod? He could surely buy the * out.

But about the speculating to accumulate thing, agree but I think that should be done with our player strategy. If KT can’t stay around too long for Celtic, can’t see many others doing it. So that’s why players will be sold for big bucks. And that’s where we should be relaxing these guys with every single penny we make from transfers. If we spent that £25m from tierney this window, we would be playing tonight for a go at that champions league and that’s incredibly frustrating.

6. horseshoe

No, you're right about that, he's a shareholder not our owner he can't just throw money in he would have to buy mores shares, and I believe he's invested pretty much right up to the tipping point of where he would basically need to takeover if he was buying more. He's always rightly said Celtic has to function on it's own as a business and not rely on a sugar daddy throwing money at it, and he's not going to put himself or the club in that position.

Doesn't matter how many times it's pointed out though, people will always say he needs to just get his cheque book out and give us XXXmillion because he can afford it, or accuse Lawell or the board of hiding/pocketing money even though the accounts are published for all to see.

Senna s1979 and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    They are mismanaging the club. Absolutely no doubt about it. That £50m in the bank should be invested in the team and it’s absolutely not.

8. horseshoe

All I was saying is the money is there, there are people who have pretty much accused them of skimming, or just having big rants of WHERE HAS THE MONEY GONE as if it's disappeared, when it's in the accounts there to see.

9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Aye I agree with that. Money is fine there. * just don’t spend it

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye it always makes me laugh reading a post from someone saying this or that should happen, when it simply can't happen because we are a PLC, DD being a prime example. If folk don't get/understand that its difficult to take their advice seriously tbh.

11. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    I feel sick reading that! :sicksmile

12. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I've made this point many times on here. The biggest myth surrounding our club currently is DD puts his hand in his pocket to pay for anyone/anything. He doesn't, he never has done and never will.

He has shares in us for 2 reasons - he gets a return every year on his investment and when he sells them he will make a tidy profit. He doesn't have shares to lose money. This isn't a hobby or a passion or an ego trip. It is an investment. He is not going to lose money. His money.
    He is not Abramovic or Sheikh Mansour. People stupidly think he is.

Tim-Time 1888 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

One whose performance isn't measured against how well we do in Europe? Lawell himself has said we don't run our club based on European football as it isn't a guarantee so we can take from that his and any managers performance isn't measured against that - no matter how much it hurts for us fans.
    He may get a bonus, and i'm sure all the staff and players do too if we qualify as it is just that - a bonus.

14. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    All Directors should be on a low salary with huge bonus incentives

If their bonuses were % of European money then we could expect our team to have quality players signed before we get pumped oot before the group stage.

Same for scouting dept. their bonus should be % of sell on fees.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For everyone saying we need to splash the cash on our defence, i can tell you for a fact Lawell will be thinking 'forget it, ive already given you £12 million for Hamed, Boli and Jullien'. To be honest £12 million for us is a lot of money, the problem is our horrendous scouting of players. We are throwing away money on players that are not good enough. Its absolutely shocking and * infuriates me, and I blame Lawell for not putting in place a top class scouting team. We are not a club who can afford to waste £3 million on a LB who clearly cant defend. If we need to spend a few million in putting in place a good scouting network and recruitment team then * do it. It staggers me that Lawell (who is famous for his penny pinching) is overseeing millions being wasted in the transfer market. Absolutely crazy and this could yet cost us the Title.

G_portillo and aliceinsound like this.
  16. john2061

The board have not just cost the club a champions league place but they are putting our domestic success at risk now by not bringing in the players and backing Neil Lennon .
    I have said for years now there's need to be a change at the top and someone who can come in and care about the team more as alot on the board forget we are a football club first and money needs invested in it .

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die

18. Goggzy60

And I had to write it.

Moore likes this.
  19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Aye Senna I know that, use rodgers as an example his remuneration had to be funded by the Club. Tbf I don't have a problem with that or us being run within our means. Overall I would prefer someone like DD, who we know what he plans on doing, rather than run the risk of getting a Mike Ashley type who could look to strip as much out as possible. So those wishing he would * off etc should be careful in what they wish.

I think his return, on his investment has been fair enough as well tbh, I think last year he got a salary of 30k just, having someone like him linked to us is worth that alone tbf, and some dividend payment which wasn't eye watering at all. I don't know if I agree that its solely an investment otherwise I think he would take more. I think it is a bit of an ego trip/Supports Celtic but even if it is all ego so what, if I could afford to buy him out I would and enjoy the perks of having done so.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It's cause the danger of that it the massive downsizing that would need to take place later. If he gave us enough money like £40million, £20million for 4 players and then the extra £20million to cover their wages over the 4 years, then 4 years later we'd need to cut £100k a week off the wagebill, fans would go off their nut so it's a waste of time for him to use £40million which is only going to end up with us back where we were 4 years earlier.

It's actually what killed the huns.

The huns in the late 90s and early 2000s were used to spending £15-20million per season they couldn't afford and they done that for a good 10 years and in the end were unwilling to drop back down a couple of levels because they wouldn't be able to compete with us so they just kept going until they were *.

If you look at all the excess money they had put into them in the 200s, I think Dave King gave them £10million, Joe Lewis gave them £20million, Murray shifted £50million of their debt onto his other company. They had other people putting money in, they sold rights to JJB for money up front and sold rights to Ticketus for £23million was it upfront, they cheated the taxman out of like £40million + £3.5million was it in another tax bill and they stopped paying PAYE to save themselves another £6/7million before going into Admin to keep the lights on a few month longer. So then 10-12 years before they died they probably spend about £145-150million they couldn't afford and were too used to all that extra money they drove themselves off a cliff rather than sell 4/5 players and cut £100k a week off their wagebill.