1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawwell isnt the problem...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Aug 19, 2019.

Discuss Lawwell isnt the problem... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. davidhannah

"Who sanctioned the signing of signed Marvin commper?"

"No comment, I think we need to discuss more pressing matters such as our need to confescate that green brigade drum".

Statement to the fans: We're cashing in now on Kieran Tierney. We're going to under invest in our defence yet again. Here's a couple of lumps of wood. Hand over the 36 quid for the qualifiers, sit down, and shut the * up, and don't get your hopes up too much. We're downsizing to pay for our second homes and the villa in tuscany."

I'm scunnered with them.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    freitassen likes this.
  2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Finally the penny drops on what Petes role is.

Yea you'd be either 5 million over or 10 million short ... :39: :giggle1:

I doubt the Club would go for such a low figure anyway.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. SuperZidane

He's part of the problem but DD has to equally be blamed. PL is a very good chief executive - he has been considered (I think approached in 1 case) by Arsenal and Liverpool during his tenure with us. The problem IMO is that he thinks that he's a football guy as well as a finance guy and DD indulges him.

For what it's worth - I think the following needs to happen.

1. Appoint a proper DOF and a decent manager who can work together.
    2. DD makes it clear to PL that he manages the business side of the club and not the football side.

However, I think, as usual with our club, nothing will happen until its too late.

Lennon should not have got the job - IMO, the Cluj game and his comments afterwards showed that he hasn't changed. Absolutely clueless tactically (as has happened in quite a few games since he came back) and then a press conference claiming that none of it was his fault. He never could accept criticism and that certainly hasn't changed. It was pretty clear on Saturday that, not only was it a completely * performance with no apparent tactical plan, there is a level of unhappiness in the squad. Lennon's ploy of having the huddle after the game was frankly pitiful.

I don't rate Gerard as a manger but his backroom team is better (JK is a waste of time and its too soon for Duff). I certainly think they are a match for us this season as much as it pains me to say that. If we play at Ibrox like we did in the last 2 games - we'll get tanked.

Based on past experience, DD only steps in when its too late - after the John Barnes disaster and after Deila lost to the Huns in the 2016 Cup SF.

I think we'll stumble along this season until the board/DD are forced to take action. Lennon is PL's man and PL won't want to admit that he made a mistake.

I fear for 9IAR - I also think this will end badly for Lennon and, given his service and devotion to our club, that would be very sad indeed.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

TL :dr

You could have summed that up in 3 words.

You're starting to believe your own hype.

5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    :lenny1:

6. jambo_cfc

Said it earlier gerrard is inexperienced in management but has brought in a experienced back room staff that can work with him and will give there views. Lennon IS an experienced manager with an inexperienced back room so basically they will follow lennys lead even when it may be wron, along with kennedy , mcmanus and duff lennon should have had mjallby and parker and kennedy should no be assistant.

7. Goggzy60

I think it's pretty clear the teams grooming JK to be our manager someday. I honestly could see Lenny as D.O.F and JK manager with McManus as Assistant.

8. jambo_cfc

Really hope not

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We are slowly morphing into the Huns with * patter like this.

10. Goggzy60

Same like just can see it happening maybe 5 years away.

11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    You calling my patter *? I'm the king of skelpy * mountain so you better watch out.

12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I really disagree with this. Lawell isnt the whole problem, but he is a huge contributing factor and has been a common denominator.

There are a few instances where Lawell has come under fire from the chairmen and owners from other football clubs due to the way he conducts his business.
    In some cases individuals have point blank refused to deal with him.

There are also various cases where Lawell has failed to secure talent that is available and who wanted to sign for us, with PL playing hardball over a few hundred thousand pounds, and this talent has went on to prove to be worth a lot more and cost us from a playing perspective.

His stubborn way of controlling the purse strings has caused managers to leave and has led to us appointing a manager who was far down our wish list. This set us back years and we failed to capitalise from a position where we had a huge and undeniable advantage.
    That appointment alone was financially damaging to our revenue, prize money and gate receipts and eventually was corrected by the appointment of Brendan Rodgers.

Our books look as if we are performing financially, but we have sold key players who have asked to leave the club due to on the park failures, which has offset the losses of the lucrative riches the champions league brings. This is directly harms our playing squad and stems back as far as selling Mcgeady after a trophyless campaign.

Further to this he has now been culpable for a failure to obtain £8m for Boyata, who left for nothing, and has now made Scott Sinclair one of the highest earners at the club, banking on an offer being made for him, when he now looks to be out of favour and will also leave for nothing.

He oversaw a decision to spend £4m on unnecessary lights when the playing squad required investment in the way of defenders and we subsequently lost out on another £30m.

He has too much influence in decisions which directly affect footballing matters, despite having no background in football at a playing or managing level and has often been shown to be out of his depth and field of expertise.

Somehow, however, he continues to unaccountable for his failures and continues to earn a premium wage and bonuses.

Tommy25 likes this.
  13. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    If rumours are to be believed, he stepped in to react and appoint Rodgers after two seasons of stagnation/regression.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Wow.

Doogs. likes this.
  15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    I thought he only stepped in cause the hun directors celebrating when they beat us in the cup semi wound him up to the point that he decided to go get a manager like Rodgers, his ego took a hit and he reacted not exactly the best way to run a football club.

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    The straw that broke the camels back.

17. angusceltic67

Be some coup if PL could get us to miss a few CL qualifiers every year.

But Celtic - who had chief executive Peter Lawwell appointed as one of four men by the European Club Association to sit on UEFA's Professional Football Strategy Council last week - are leading the way to change the shape of the competition.

FC Copenhagen's head of international cooperation, Daniel Rommedahl, explained: "We have been working for three years with Celtic and Ajax to deliver these proposals.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/spor...ajax-pitch-new-champions-league-format-plans/

martin_d and ChrisMoh like this.
  18. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various

Good IDEA the DOF having control of the Football side of the business. The elephant in the room unfortunately is PL's EPL sized salary. To afford and recruit a quality DOF, we would need for PL to go and a cheaper replacement to come in. Basically his salary would be divided between the new CEO and DOF.

Tommy25 and Whoflungdung like this.
  19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes definitely not the whole problem.

We have a billionaire majority shareholder on board who once in a blue moon puts his hand in his pocket and only when things are going seriously * up does he react.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  20. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    That for me is the problem in a nutshell we have a board who are completely reactionary, there's no concrete long term vision and there's no contingency plans whatsoever for when completely foreseeable things just happen.

Mr Shelby likes this.