1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    How is that?

I get that every manager makes a mistake. And * up. That's not what I was asking you about in the first instance.

The thing I find bizarre is you saying he hasn't * up more than once in 10 years. You obviously have your definitions and that's fine but it's still a bizarre statement because even if we do stick to your logic for one moment, that the other night definitely wasnt his first * up.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

:32:

It was a combination of a few factors. One being individual errors, aye. But let’s not ignore Lenny’s role in that * up. That’d be quite silly.

3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    When did I say I didn’t enjoy his first stint? Literally has nothing to do with anything. Answer my question, was losing in the Semi Final of a cup competition to a team in the league below a * up? Don’t even factor in money when Ross County wouldn’t have had anything close to what we have so it’s absolutely irrelevant.

4. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Up da boo Bhoys, happy clappers it’s time for a new era. Let’s single people out and hold them fully responsible, it’s not a team we support but individuals we ridicule. It was the snakes fault before him and Ronny too, Strachan sure he was * as well. The next manager through the door dare not loose a game. We know better, we know how to move the club forward. All the answers are to be found in the loud boos from the masses

5. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    Totally agree.

It’s a tough one, but if we can be rid of one or none I’d rather get half the job done.

Bring in someone like O’Neill as caretaker while searching for a replacement and then make MON the Director of Football, something like that.

Lawwell isn’t going to go unless forced out, Lennon is the same. They’ve both got the best gig they ever will, but how we get rid of Lawwell in particular is the real question

6. Jeremie Frimpong

Alternatively, we can all stay quiet while the club continues its season-on-season decline, which will inevitably result in avoidable failures. Or worse still, encourage it.

Xatraps, Mr Shelby, obafgkmlt and 2 others like this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There's a lot of anger here and it's understandable; but there's been this narrative floating about Lennon's appointment from the beginning that isn't quite coming entirely from us IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, by the time he found his feet, he showed himself more than competent in Europe the last 3 seasons. I don't feel it makes sense to see Tuesday as evidence for the argument that he isn't good enough. He was already good enough for that years ago, it would be odd to regress with experience.

For me, it seems more parsimonious just to say he screwed one up. We can start to talk about him not being good enough if he doesn't learn from it.

Let's see how it goes against AIK, who are probably a similar level to Cluj. We will have much more to go on then.

Put it this way, Broony got rested today (finally!) and my hunch is he'll play much, much better for it on Thursday. I'm also fairly confident we won't be seeing McGregor at LB either.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Orsenfelt

Bringing O'Neill in would just be making the same mistake twice.

Officer Doofy and Murph-E like this.
  9. Pogues

So not all Lennons fault, as some would have you believe on here, but enough to want him sacked.

10. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Or have a reality check and look at the bigger picture. While playing in the SPL it’s never gonna get to the standard that we want. A freak result to teams like Cluj will always happen while we are are feeding of the scraps of Europe. Look at the last 30 or 40 years. We’ve done * all in Europe. No way we can bring in the big mangers and big players while playing in this league. Shout all ya want about it on a forum, boo the managers and players in the stands. That’s not gonna change anything

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. Murph-E

He's not a manager to get the best out of Callum McGregor. Can see him joining up with Rodgers at Leicester in January.

Orsenfelt likes this.
  12. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He should have changed the formation after half an hour and took brown off at half time. We lost that game mostly because of Lennon.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I * knew Lenny would be hung out to dry, he should’ve told that * to shove the job up his *. From the minute he was offered it the whole thing has been a shambles. From the transfer policy through to the qualifying rounds. This isn’t working and Lennon doesn’t need it and neither do we, but the same mitigating circumstances arise because of a certain individual. This farce needs sorted and soon!

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's not irrelevant. Losing a SF with a team built up of players you found and developed on a realky tight budget as part of a season fighting on 4 fronts is not a massive * up IMO. These things have always happened.

With the money we have now, it probably would be, though the * up wouldn't necessarily be his (depending on how the rest of the window goes). With the money we have now, we should absolutely be back to the MON days of have having the players to blow any other team in Scotland (other than 'them') completely out of the water.

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Problem is mate, it’s not a freak result.

Cluj, AEK, Maribor, Braga, Sion, Utrecht, Legia and Malmo have all knocked us out of Europe since 2010. Thankfully in two of them we went through on a technicality.

We don’t qualify for the CL as often as we should. Mainly because we constantly gamble and don’t properly strengthen beforehand.

16. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Off the top of my head:

- Braga, Utrecht
    - Sion
    - Cup Semi Final v Ross County
    - Lost league first season
    - 13/14 we got pumped in the easiest CL group you could ask for
    - Cup v Morton
    - General cup record was poor

He done a lot of good as well, but to say that Lennon didn’t * up at points is inaccurate.

17. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

That’s my point and all those teams are on an equal standing. We have no right to be beating them every time we play them. In between those games we have went and got results to some of the biggest clubs in Europe, just as much a freak result as any loss to those teams some fans think we should be winning.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  18. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And some of the same can be said of Rodgers, ie Red Imps along with the worst start to a league campaign in 20 years. That’s before we start on the absolute pumpings in Europe, we can all pick holes in the managers here but one thing is consistent.

4A4B006B-0BBD-4F8C-A68C-38F26DF84D2C.jpeg

19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I know you weren't saying it was, but I think it's worth pointing out that the constant there was not Lenny. I just want to underline that, because I'm going to pretty much agree with you here.

I hope you don't think I'm being a * making that hyper clear, it's just that I've actually flip-flopped a lot on this issue (the board's transfer strategy) the last few months and at the monent I definitely see it your way; but I don't want my changing my mind so often to undermine the argument I'm trying to make in support of Lenny. My view on Lennon has been very consistent.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Most of those teams are teams we should be beating, particularly over two legs.

Our problem is that we rarely prepare for them correctly. That should be the bare minimum. It’s like we’re setting ourselves up to fail.

Orsenfelt likes this.