1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Time to settle - how long

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 16, 2019.

Discuss Time to settle - how long in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I notice people saying about Bolingoli-Mbombo and Jullien taking time to settle in and Boli being classed as a dud.

But realistically I know we all want them to hit the ground running with some it doesn’t happen.

How long should they be given to get upto full fitness, speed of game and their game play being at an acceptable level before we are categorising them?

Stubbs took 2 year to settle.
    Petrov took a year
    Petta took a year.
    Brown took about 8 months

Larsson took a few months
    Hartson took a few months.
    Kelvin Wilson took a while.

Whereas others have hit their stride right away

Lubo, nakamura, big Jan, Sutton, Thompson

Are we too quick to judge nowadays?

Lilac Wine and Metrobhoy like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think the problem is that when you have players particularly in defensive positions it can be difficult, the mistakes are highlighted even more, this in turn adds more pressure, especially at a club like ours.

Jax Teller and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair comment and this is where successive planning comes in.

With our back-up left back last season not even being deemed worthy of a game when Tierney was out injured or carrying an injury it meant we had no continuity this season.

Ideally we would have had a competent LB to play in the qualifiers while Boli bedded in but unfortunately we didn't have that luxury and we've had to fling in both him and Elhamed straight in at the deep end. One has sank and one has swam.

It's not like this qualification schedule has become a new thing for us though, we should be far better prepared for it given the experience (and disasters) we've had playing in them.

The guy might come good, he has a good engine and can get up and down the wing but so far his passing is erratic, his positional sense seems poor and his man goes by him too easily. If we can bring in a back-up LB, it'd be better to take him out the firing line til he can settle in as you say.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Got to Agree. The thing we also knew with tierney is even if he did stay he wasn’t going to be fit until end September at earliest. Perraud claims we where talking to his team and his agent then we stopped returning their calls.

Say what you want about the huns and other teams a vast majority of them had their business done by 3rd week of July.

Now we look like we did try. Turnbull failed medical. Smith chose stoke. Sawyers we didn’t want to go above £2m for.

But when you come to this country I always say 12-18 games gives you a fair idea from a summer signing. With a winter window one I always think your firefighting if they aren’t upto speed or season ended in November as Bayo, Compper and Toljan showed

5. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    The problem is, we have seen it all before in recent times.
    A lot of our new signings start * and never get much better to be honest.
    You have mentioned a few who started poorly and eventually came good but they are in the minority.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  7. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Much easier as a defender to slot into a confident backline also in front of a good goal keeper. Throw them all in at once and it takes longer to settle.

8. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    It depends on the player, sure some players are * to begin with that end up becoming fantastic but some you can tell are * immediately and they never get any better.

9. wulliebad

some players are judged on here by what they cost.
    Every one is different but some times we forget how hard it can be to settle in a new team/club and country.

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It'll usually be a little over a quarter way through the season (12 - 14 games) before i properly judge whether a player can still be good for us. With Bolingoli, once he's settled here i think he'll become a good attacking fullback, but his defending will always be fairly erratic. You can get away with this however, just look at Tavernier at the huns, he can't defend yet he's their best player.

The opposite applies too, fans can big up a player too fast. Best example is with the huns last year, that Coulibaly was their best player before our game, they were lapping him up saying they can't wait to sign him, how he'll crunch brown etc etc. Little over a month later he wasn't first choice anymore and nearer the end he wasn't even back-up. Aribo is very similar to Coulibaly in that regard, he's had a good start with the huns but to big him up as much as they have is just setting him for a dramatic fall.

We actually done it with Edouard during last years qualifiers. He was excellent with Dembele and we all thought he was an absolute steal for 9 million. Now fast forward to the present and he was 100% worth it, but during the period of, say, October to February, a lot of folk either felt like he wasn't worth 9 million/wasn't a striker/would be better out wide. We hyped him up so much when he went through a small rough patch we got worried he wasn't good enough.

Of course, sometimes you can tell when a player won't make it here. You could tell a couple of games into Hendry's Celtic career that he wasn't and wouldn't be good enough for us. You could tell Musonda wasn't going to work out for us too.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  11. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Rogic took maybe 2 years and armstrong took over a year.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    During a vital part of our season, the CL qualifiers, the magnifying glass in on the players burning holes right through them.

With new players and a new manager, so early in the season with that intensity, it can place too much pressure on a player that may need time to settle.

Adapting to a new country, style of working, learning about your new colleagues and how the team functions and what your role is within it can be a whirlwind no matter what your job is.

Different strokes for different folks couldn’t be a better saying for this. Everyone settles, learns and adapts differently. Now if someone comes in that is taking some time to do that and you compound it with the very early and intense pressure of what’s at stake, it’s easy for people to instantly dismiss that players ability.

The poll doesn’t really take this in to consideration, it simply asks how many games. Well we’ve played an obscene amount of games so far in a very short space of time.

Time is the key for a players settling period not simply games, as I said, everyone learns and adapts in different ways and some take longer than others. Take away the footballing factor and consider the human factor as well.

I think players can be too quickly judged, especially coming from another country. It could take at least 6 months for someone to feel settled and at home. When someone gets to that point, if they actually do get to that point, only then will you see them be able to fully concentrate on the game.

Think about the person. Do they have family coming with them. Are they at a point in their life where they are looking to settle and start a family of their own. Do they see their future in this country for their family.

It’s funny sometimes when you hear people say, they’re on x amount per week, on that money you expect results instantly. LOL

13. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I'm an old man now (56 next month), and I've had (I think) 8 different employees, and within that dozens of different job titles/roles, and never once, in all that time, has my boss said, "Don't worry if you're crap for the first 6 months, just settle in, and we'll overlook all your *-ups." In any job, you're expected to be at least functional from day one, and performing well within weeks. Why should the job of a footballer be different?

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Depends on the player..

15. Crilly

How long have shved and bayo been signed to the club without playing two games in a row?

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Did any of those jobs involve you packing up you and your family to go to a foreign country where you don't speak the language and none of your new colleagues speak yours, knowing if you don't make it you will probably be sold to the highest bidder and shipped off somewhere else at the earliest opportunity? Obviously that isn't the case for every signing, and is an extreme example, but it's just to illustrate how, in many ways, it isn't like a normal work environment.

Personally I think it takes a season before you will start to see the best of a player, which is why I keep harping on about why we should be doing our recruitment proactively aimed at the following season, and not just the reactionary signings we have been seeing year on year.

Headbhoy and clonbhoy like this.
  17. Maestro 08

If the outcome of adjusting to life in a new environment for a professional footballer means they struggle to control a ball rolling at them and pass it 5 yards to a team mate then they need more than just adjusting. I'm not trying to underplay it but Boli should be capable of doing that at the very least imo.

18. TheHappyLoss

At a pinch

19. Bonobhoy

I actually though Boli came flying out the traps in his first couple of games as well albeit againt nobody we played were strong,but he looked ok,confident.

Then His * Collapsed....Shame

20. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    No, but 3 of the jobs required me to pack up my stuff, leave my family behind, and go and live a few hundred miles away. In one job, I was working and living in Swansea, and was rung on a Friday afternoon to tell me, I had the weekend to pack, and was starting a job in Kings Lynn at 9am on Monday. 7 months later, a similar phone call, told me to pack my *, and move to Blackpool. 5 months later, it was Oxford. All the while my wife was living in Southport, and I wasn't being paid £100k per week.