1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Defensive Coaching

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Avatar Daizen, Aug 14, 2019.

Discuss Defensive Coaching in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    What's the script with defensive coaching at Lennoxtown? Do we even do it? We've been horrific defensively for as long as I can remember, particularly in Europe. Even Virgil Van Dijk couldn't prevent us from taking pumpings off the likes of Molde and Legia Warsaw.

It's something that's always noticeable when we're playing against these teams in Europe as well. Teams from so-called footballing backwaters, such as Romania and Kazakhstan, with budgets just a fraction of ours and 30-something journeymen in their defence always organise their back-line so much better than ours, and its causes us all sorts of problems.

I know there is always an onus on Celtic to play attractive, attacking football - and that can lead to gaps in defence and opportunities to get caught out on the counter, but there just doesn't seem to be any sort of shape or organisation in our defending at all.

I know results such as last night's no longer come as a surprise to many of us, but losing 4 goals at home to such a low-ranked team is a new low even by the standards of our previous European failures. There needs to be a full enquiry into why that was allowed to happen, and that needs to start with a close examination of how our defenders are being coached - and possibly a complete reevaluation of our defensive coaching set-up.

2. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don't need a Defensive Coach if you don't have a defence ;-)

3. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is there really any need to pick another Topic to start a thread on, this is all based on fans realising How bad things are being operated at the club regrettably it’s took a bad defeat for us to realise this, Look at the bigger picture this has being Rumbling behind the scenes for quite a while now.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    That's how forums work mate.

MacEwan likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Something I’ve often wondered the past few seasons too. It’s hard to guess how much of it is to do with Kennedy but he’s the constant, across the past three managers that have had defensively weak teams.

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  6. RI Bhoy

Or, "situational coaching"... hey, if we get up by a goal late in the 2nd half, let's really slow things down and be VERY careful out there...maybe even bring in some defensive-minded subs...

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

7. jambo_cfc

Im sorry but this has to be said but is john kennedy our go to guy on defending ? A guy who looked a good PROSPECT in the game who got injured and his career amounted to zero ? Harsh to say but in reality he could have been good for one season and then flopped and been moved on! Is he justified to be in the position he is in ? I know mcmanus is there and yes he had a decent career but he will be good for cbs not full backs , its the full back areas we are struggling in.

Think we need to bring in a couple of coaches who were seasoned pros, ask tom boyd and johan mjallby or people of that ilk to get involved in the coaching aspects , tom boyd played across the back 4 in his career so could help fullbacks as well as cbs , mjallby was also a top player and as far as i can rember think he was a good coach.

8. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Tom Boyd can hardly string a sentence together commentating on Celtic TV never mind coach a defence.

9. jambo_cfc

Tom boyd was used as an example , there are other people who could come in , he was used because he played all positions to a decent standard across the back 4 , someone who has had a good career and played at a good level ,even joos valgaeren someone who has played full back as we are severely lacking in that area

10. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

It's possible that I'm being unfair to him and I genuinely think he loves the club, but John Kennedy is the constant across multiple regimes of poor defending. I'm not sure of exactly what they're doing defensively in training, if anything.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    :giggle1:

12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    What we saw defensively was shocking the other night. in the 20 domestic cup and league games we played from the winter break till now we have conceeded 5 goals. in the 10 competitive Europe games we have conceeded 10 goals in 8 games (Valencia , Sarajevo , nomme, cluj).. two managers and different back lines in that time obviously.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

But playing a position well doesn’t make you a good coach.

FranceCelt likes this.
  14. jambo_cfc

Is having someone that has never played that position a good idea to coach someone on that position ?

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure Larsson could explain to defenders what would stop him better than brown could explain why punching a ball in the box is not the best idea.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Talking of John Kennedy, he was here the last time CalMac was played at LB, and we know how that turned oot, he's watching the same mistake being made again, does the guy not even talk with Lenny ffs ?

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  17. Onefootwonder

We can never manage to close out a game, or keep things tight to start with. Other teams manage to shut up shop, but we always leave ourselves open.

It's not a new thing either. A few different managers and we are still the same.

John Bhoy79 likes this.
  18. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We actually get away with a fair bit domestically. It's because the teams we face are of an abysmal standard. Anytime one of them occasionally gets in our faces and presses us hard we go to pieces. See the 2 games at snake mountain last season or the 4-0 at swinecastle, the games vs hibs at Easter road when they were under Lennon or even the first half with Motherwell on Sat.

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

By all accounts John Kennedy has studied the game ever since he got injured.

Was Jose Mourinho a world renowned player before he became a world renowned manager?

20. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I've been saying similar for a while now. Our organisation and work-rate off the ball isn't even close to what it should be. Add into that the seemingly never-ending supply of individual mistakes and the nervousness that comes from us faffing about trying to play out from the back and you have a recipe for failure. We must learn that we CANNOT play in Europe the way we play in the SPL, especially away from home.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.