1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Europa League

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by DJ CJ, Aug 13, 2019.

Discuss The Europa League in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Yeh that was part of my point. Read the post I was replying to.

Drakhan likes this.
  2. ddub11

Im guessing the better we do in this then we would maybe improve our ranking in europe?and maybe help us seeding wise in future competitions.

If thats the case then that alone should be a good enough reason for fans to want us to do well in it regardless of whats gone on in the CL.

littlekennie likes this.
  3. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Ticket prices have not been confirmed yet. Do not post crappy rumours or fake twitter images. All it does is cause hassle.

4. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Whats the fekkin chances we get through ….. an get grouped wi arsenal

5. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Cheers , Heard a lot of noise regarding the price but as o yet I’ve not had an Email. Cheers for putting my mind at ease

Jo-Jo-Buffon likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic could face a Europa League decider in front of a closed home stand against AIK Stockholm.

Neil Lennon ’s team will discover their opponents in Europe’s second-tier competition Play-Off tonight when the Swedes face Moldovans Sheriff Tiraspol.

AIK are strong favourites to qualify having won the first leg 2-1 away from home seven days ago, but will not have the backing of their faithful from a usual area.

The Northern Stand is being closed to their fans after a dispute with police chiefs resulted in the club advising their punters to buy briefs for other sections of their 50,000-capacity Friends Arena.

However, AIK are also under investigation by UEFA for a separate situation after serious trouble marred their Champions League qualifier against Maribor last month.

Angry Stockholm supporters caused bother after the goal which put them out of the competition when visiting fans grabbed an AIK flag and crushed it sparking an attempt by home fans to get into the visiting section to confront them.

Coach Rikard Norling and team captain Henok Goitom had to plead for calm amongst the fans, but the matter was included in the UEFA Delegate’s Report and the Swedes are expecting punishment of some sort.

AIK chiefs launched a full investigation with marketing manager Fredrik Soderberg stating: “We go through all our internal security work to see where and how our match arrangement was broken.”

But UEFA are scheduled to make their judgements and deal with the matter at a Disciplinary Committee meeting a week today, Thursday, August 22, one week before the home leg of their Play-Off tie.

Sanctions are likely to include a hefty fine, but some form of stadium closure is possible in extreme circumstances.

In the event of such actions, Record Sport understands any closures would only affect the home area where the problems arose in the Maribor incident and NOT areas which would house travelling Celtic fans if the Swedes get through and the game takes place.

Tonight’s scenario is not connected to the UEFA investigation, but instead AIK are taking matters into their own hands.

Issues between police and supporters have caused problems for the club and they have acted by closing down the Northern Stand

Club Director Jens T Andersson explained: “Above all, it is a decision we have made against the police permit unit and their application of the conditional staircase, which we think is inconsistent.

“This is a reduction we have not seen before. In the past, there have been 500 people down or up. Now we went on 1250 people straight off. When we asked for a justification, we have got extremely weak writings back.

“Their reason is that pyrotechnics have burned in our stands.”

Asked if the police decision was connected to events at the Maribor game, he added: “It surely is. But there are new conditions for each match.

“I don’t know how they reason. It has gone from almost no reduction to the most powerful reduction in AIK’s history without any major motivation. We strongly oppose this.

“I hope and believe that all AIKs will show an understanding that we as a club must react.

“We believe that the inconsistent application of the conditional staircase is counterproductive in our security work. It presents us with enormous challenges in our events.”

Manager Norling is taking nothing for granted ahead of the tie against the Moldovans, however, and says it’s no formality that Lennon’s team will be going to Scandinavia with work still to be done by the hosts.

Norling said: “You want to think about it [Celtic], but we have a match that we must focus on. We take one thing at a time and try to do our job. It will be a tough match even though we have a good result behind us.”

7. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Here's hoping they have no fans. We need as much help as he can get and lawells already used all his "ineligible player" cards a while back. Personally they should just be booted out the competition for being right * and let us in, then geez an easy as * group, an easy as * last 16, 8, 4 and a team completely devastated by injuries for the final. Dont think that's much to ask tbh. Call it payback for champions having to play 8 games to get into the groups.

8. clonbhoy

Europe should always be Celtic’s bar, but this is a game I would rather lose. The league is far, far too important this season and our squad has proven itself to be nowhere near strong enough for both.

In an interesting twist, I hope they qualify! Leave their squad deal with both!

jude 67 and Sydneysider like this.
  9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

And you think our squad will keep together if we fail to reach the Europa? It struggles to stay together if we make the CL

10. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    I can honestly see us having no European football this season then major cost cutting swinging into operation .What a * state to get in The league is over according to every hun I work beside drpressing doesnt even begin to cover it

11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    We must,MUST get in the Europa League Group Stages,must.
    In any sport worth its salt you do the best you can and try and improve and keep on trying to improve.
    Our players will all be desperate to have a good run in Europe so hopefully we will take out our current frustrations on this overrated mob a week tonight.

12. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Cheers, checked an still nothing on the website the club dont overpriced it , so we get a decent crowd , think a good few will talk with their feet for this , the team still need us as weve got to get past AIK imo to get our momentum back up

13. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    How can the league be over after 2 games ????

14. Bonobhoy

Sad * days when I'd rather be knocked out next week so we can concentrate on beating a mediocre team in our league to finish first.

How high we have fallen to the others levels now...Thats what annoy's me the most that this is all our own downfall...other teams have been utter gash and only slightly got better but our downsizing and lack of board spirit has made it look even closer than it should be.

It's not only the orcs that taste blood but the others....so * playing teams like AEK on a Thurs night to then a Sunday to be either popped out in the group stage or the first game after Xmas.

15. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Think they mean because we are so bad its theirs for the taking

16. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Feeling pessimistic about our chances in this one.

17. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    After 1 * up ?

18. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Surely a chance for Lennon and team to redeem themselves ???

19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would those who were around at the time swap the Seville run and all those amazing nights in 2003 for no Europe that year if it meant winning the title? I wouldn't.

The obsession with 10 in a row is making us look at things in a peculiar way, myself included before anyone starts.

Such a weird one. Personally I'm choking to get to the EL groups. Not that it has to be one or the other, but not winning the league is not worth thinking about.

20. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Need to go as far as we can in european football every season .

cidermaster and Marty McFly like this.