1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stirfry999, Aug 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NyköpingCelt

It's a valid point, but that treble treble was mostly achieved with Rodgers at the wheel and we've also lost so many important players that contributed to it. We dominated against teams that were below us, and even in Europe we usually came out on top against teams that we should have - Anderlecht, Rosenborg, Astana, Be'er Sheva to name a few.

We were second best against Salzburg, but what really bothered me was his 'it's difficult to compete' mantra before playing against average teams from big leagues - Monchengladbach for example. I think it was a dig at our board, but it ultimately rubbed off on the players.

2. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

we have to be patient when we play these european games we went gung ho for years and years and were constantly picked off on the counter attack and it happened last night again

still think wed have won the game if neil hadnt * the lineup though

i think rodgers 1st and 2nd season team would have beaten cluj no problem

and yeah he was obviously meaning the budgets from tv money these teams but in saying that thats where you have to show your nouse as a manager and get the most out of your players with game management and tactics, i dont think these average sides form the big leagues are a million miles away from us so hes kind of saying hes a cheque book manager istn he ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. CountyDownFaithful

We are GK, LB, CB, CDM and LW off being a champions league team.

4. StevieBhoooy!

About £2000 a day ...

Straight into the ‘vault’

5. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Was gutted last night but if we had scored the 4th goal when they did it would have been a euphoric European night, everybody buzzing , “ sign off champions , playing to the end, Lenny s got us believing, we don’t know when we are beat “ mwould’ve pApered over a lotta cracks, like mcgregor left back, broony s whole performance and fact we had shipped 3 goals to an average team at home so easily

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely gutted after that last night. We absolutely threw that away. We were dreadful for the whole first half and they deserved to be ahead. Then the team I expected to show up from kick off showed up from kick off in the second half and we were brilliant. Once we went 2-1 we had numerous chances to get a third goal which would have IMHO killed the game at that point. Then what happen was just surreal. Brown makes a terrible error for their pk we show great character to go right down the field and get back in front. At that point we lost the plot mentality. We did not tighten up and see the game out but even after they made it 3-3 we still had plenty of time. Plus amazingly I was thinking as I was watching it they still looked very open at 3-3 yet we started to just lump the ball into the box from the half most of which were crap balls anyway instead of passing the ball and opening them up as we had been doing for most of the second half. It is was like watching a Celtic game in Europe from the 1980's at times.

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Griff was right but too late; Bayo was pure panic and a massive mistake. I knew we weren't scoring a winner in that moment. And why Ntcham came off for Griff instead of Brown, I just can't fathom.

I'm not getting into slagging Lenny, because I know he is better than this: for example in his first stint, let alone now; but this tie he had a mare... from not resting Brown even once so far to the tactics and the wrong substitutions on the night.

It's his first * up in so many years at Celtic as a player and manager, so it's a bit silly to turn on him like some have. He's our manager, anyone who has watched him the first time knows he's better than he showed in this tie and we move on and back him for the future; but without pretending this wasn't a really big * up on his part, because it was.

8. john2061

Lennon * up last night and when we went 3-2 up he should made a sub to see out the game .
    But no more * ups Lenny and no more McGregor at left back and get our 7 million centre half * up and running and not sitting on his * on the bench .
    We need a settled back four before we go to castle greyskull and get these players up for that .

9. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Aye he * up all right now he has to win back fans............silence doubters

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agree on all fronts there. A fair assessment of last night and Lennon's poor night. Very very disappointing to put it mildly. But some of the reactions have for me been over the top and we have to move on from last night. The start to the season until last night has been good and for the most part fun to watch so we will just have to see how things go from here.

StPauli1916 and Random Review like this.
  11. dmac

The game was there to win and we have it away lots of poor decisions from manager as players there is a problem when teams bring the game to us and press high too many times when we are playing around the edge of the opposition's box and one pass has them away and beating down on our goal the defending needs to improve

12. kinglenny

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Still feel sick as * probably will for a while yet.

=(

Random Review and jay62 like this.
  13. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Pathetic.
    Lucky if we get a loan player in now .

14. john26

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Lennon needs to take the blame for poor tactics... Morgan should never have been near the pitch... To play McGregor at left back was madness when we had Boli albeit he is not showing much yet... At 3- 2 we should have went defensive....I also think the ref was shocking, Rondon should have walked and their number 37 consistently fouled with no booking. Yet Elhamed was booked for what I seen as first foul... They kicked us all over the park... But no making excuses we should have seen this out at 3-2

15. shaun.f

what a effing mess they made o that last night.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Who is "they" ?

Rydo1888* and bagforlife like this.
  17. shaun.f

the team the manager.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    So when you say "they" you mean Celtic. That's grand. Just clarifying it.

19. shaun.f

i could have said we but i wasnae playing.

20. strike twice

What a massive let down last night . I didn't see the game , but as soon as I heard the line up ( Cal Mac at left back ) I was concerned . I only hope that we get things right for the next few games , start playing our best team available and learn a few lessons from our shambolic failure in this tie . I could say lots more , but I need to go to bed . I didn't enjoy a settled sleep last night .