1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ajer might be worth a try at DM.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye that's why I said a DM is a must.. But in the meantime I'd go with that.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Criminal mistake last night. The striker was readying to try something that was by no means easy to do. You only give penalties if your keeper is excellent at saving those. We haven't had that in ages. Rregardless of things, he can't play every game. Just can't take the strain.

4. CarmunnockBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I agree that Brown should be used a bit part player now but in reality that'll not happen as there's and old pals act inforce here between NL and SB.

Browns name will be the first on the teamsheet every game until the end of the season and probably next year aswell !

5. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s admirable that people try and use age and physical strain as an excuse.

He’s a poor footballer and not worth the wages we pay him. His energy has disguised that at times over the years.

No doubt he will be ‘back’ again, when we play Ross County and Hamilton, but we need more than that.

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    There we go, the same rewriting of history that happened with Lustig. Right on schedule.

Dannybhoy81, Belgian_lad and clonbhoy like this.
  7. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, you’re not really helping your own argument there. Lustig was dog * for almost three years. The guy could barely turn at one stage.

We need a lot more than what Brown offers. Constantly putting our players under immediate pressure in big games with his inaccurate passing, and can’t track runners. That’s not a physical problem, just concentration and game awareness.

It’s part of the problem that fans like yourself settle for that in the most important area on the pitch.

8. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I don't think I could disagree more. A poor footballer?

Random Review and clonbhoy like this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Great idea - our defence is a shambles so remove the 1 shining light at centre half for a guinea pig experiment.

Gyp Rosetti and Callum McGregor like this.
  10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

What’s he good at? What does he contribute?

11. clonbhoy

One mistake or bad game and you become useless...

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Excellent at taking possession from a tackle, accurate in both short and long passes, fights tenaciously for every ball... Need I go on? @PaddyMcCourt20

Seán Mac D likes this.
  13. clonbhoy

Yeah, there hasn’t been a single game over the past decade that he helped us win. Not a single one, but a howler last night and a bad game at Ibrox means he is absolutely brutal and the worst player ever.

I don’t care if this makes me a ‘Celtic da’ are any of that bullshit, but this overreaction to everything, good and bad, is part of what makes modern football unbearable.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

clonbhoy likes this.
  15. murphy88

It's no surprise that the best football we played last year was when McGregor played in the deep role in Brown's absence. The problem we have is that the person who plays deep starts almost all our attacks. If that is Brown, he doesn't receive the ball as well as McGregor. Brown will often take it in facing his own goal and it slows us down, whereas McGregor takes it on the half turn and already knows who he is giving it to next. Brown reads the game and his positioning is good from a defensive point of view in my opinion, which was all down to Lennon in his first spell, but we lose a lot in an attacking sense having Brown over McGregor.

16. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

He’s good at 50/50s. Fighting tenaciously for every ball is sort of a prerequisite when you’re the captain or midfielder of any club, be that Celtic, Chievo, or The Blantyre Vics.

He is absolutely not accurate with short and long passes. Half of the short passes he is accurate with are over or under hit, meaning that although it goes to a Celtic player they are under immediate pressure from pressing players and usually have more work to do than necessary. That’s when he’s not passing it out for a shy under no pressure at all.

For a defensive midfielder he is poor at marking, doesn’t cover the defence well enough, should be cutting passing lanes and tracking their midfield runners better, no where near positionally aware enough. He’s a massive part of why we get picked apart when we come up against any half decent side.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not true, he's not even dog * now. He gradually got worse over about 2 years until he reached the point last season where he was no longer good enough for Celtic. But he isn't dog * and in his prime he was absolutely brilliant.

I don't know what you see when you watch a football game, but if you think all Broony ever brought was physicality and tenacity, then you are missing a lot and frankly missing out on a lot of what makes football special.

18. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Two quotes and not one response to the question.

What does he contribute? I couldn’t give a * if he played like Makelele three years ago. What does he bring to the team right now?

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Scored the winning goal at Rugby Park in the last minute, set up Edouard's last minute winner v Hearts. 2 pivotal moments in the League last season.

You're aff your heid if you think he brings nothing to the team.

20. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    As I said before, I couldn't disagree with you more. I've seen him over hit a ball and I've seen passes go astray. I've criticized him for the occasions when he's been caught out of position (usually when helping out a team mate, but not always).
    The simple fact that he has played such an big part in everything we have done for the past 9 years and that different managers have found him indispensable to several different teams and formations all argue against your assertion that he's a "poor footballer."