1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    This is the problem with celtic, we seem to think we should win every game with flair and a bucket load of goals, when the reality is, in games like last night a turgid drawn out 2-1 win is good enough.
    What other team in Europe would push forward to secure another goal and get caught on the counter when the sensible thing is to sit back and let the ones needing the goal to come onto us ?
    Celtic, that's who.
    Pish wee teams must be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of drawing us, cos they know they've got a good chance of getting something from us due to the way we play.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    No he won't.

3. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    True.
    Huns aren't good enough yet.
    But it's the "yet" which is the worrying thing.

4. Mince.Charming

I feel.the same.
    * the league cup too.
    Just play a team of fringe players, keep our first team fresh for the league.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Was ragin last night, woke up the very same this morning.

Lennon. What a * moron!

Rodgers was lambasted last season (and quite * rightly!) for playing our most creative midfielder at left back - right up there with the Mowbray-esque move of playing Brown at RB (or might have been LB actually) all those years ago - couldn't believe it when he said last night Calmac was going to LB. Still absoutely baffled by it, £3m signing HE made sitting on the bench........WHAT IN THE NAME A *????

£7m defender sitting on the bench anaw, seriously.....what the * is the point in signing the * if we're not going to play him? Don't even fall for the nonsense of him not being fit enough - he was fit enough for the bench, so he was fit enough to play. Simple as.

What happened to the direct fitba of the past two domestic games? Completely went out the window because Lennon shat it.

Of course the players must take blame for last night (woeful defence, Bain an absolute shambles, completely inept wingers, midfield that struggled to control the game *no surprise our best one was at LB*)

Then, to complete the absolute disaster that it was, and to show Lennon's shambolic tactical decisions last night, poor Bayo gets slung on with minutes to go - guy hasn't had a sniff all pre-season and he's sent on to be the saviour with a cupla minutes of lump-it-up-the-park-and-hope-for-the-best *? Nah.

The board will be gasping with relief that they sold Tierney, considering the £25m+ more or less covers the loss of being dumped out of the CL qualifiers for the 2nd year running, but us supporters will be feeling the real blow because any hopes of us signing one or two, possibly 3 players of any decent quality has went right out the window - we will end up with Greg Taylor, Stephen O'Donnell and a token loan player - most likely some 18 year old from Man City. This will be on top *imo* of some of our top players (McGregor, Edouard, Ntcham) all wanting to leave again at some point due to yet another lacklustre season without CL fitba.

Totally disgusted at the performance both on the pitch and off it. Was actually talking to two guys yesterday, one of them @Lion1961 and was saying I couldn't believe the statement Lennon made about putting out the call to Celtic supporters to "raise the roof" and support the team to the highest noise - eh, hold on a minute you * *? We are Celtic supporters mate, we know how to support Celtic, especially on a European day/night - bit of a contemptable comment imo.

Shocker of a night , but what do you expect when you've went from the levels of courting *on paper* one of the most saught after managers in world fitba with mega money, gold, jewels or whatever other lavish goodies we lured the RAT in with, to offering the job to an out-of-work caretaker the job whilst stood in a * shower!

I know I've over-reacted in the past after a result, but as far as I'm concerned if you can't beat THAT Cluj team on your own patch, then you're a * idiot (and that's no disrespect to the Romanians) - personally, I'd chase Lennon to * and try get someone with half a tactical brain, because that last night.....just wow!

6. celtic warrior

Nothing he can do will change what I think of him. Legend of this club always.

Given his experience with the board he should know what he got himself into with the board.

The board and Lawwell are walking the tightest of tight ropes right now more than anytime previously. * is about to sour real quick if we end this window with no other signings.

7. Celtic-Rovers

Lennon spent 10 million on 2 defenders who were on the bench ? Wheres the logic in that ?

He deservedly takes the blame, along with the board.

8. celtic warrior

Difficult to disagree, I think we could have done better than Lennon, but knowing the board it was impossible to see past him, they didn't care for going out and doing and work and looking for the best man for the job.

I would hope last night would be an isolated incident but I doubt it will the last time we see this. I just don't the need to change up a winning formula so drastically on eve of such an important game. Why do managers do it? Is it meant to be some crazy, mad unpredictable surprise? Do they think they've come up a genius tactic? What?. Because we are just fans and could tell Lennon or any manager that doing what he did last night was a risk not worth taking.

I dunno. Getting numb to this kind of * in all honesty

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    We had 14 million pound worth of talent on bench and not even in the squad... I like mj but this was too big a game sinclair should have started mcgregor in midfeild as well I'm surprised by lennon and sickened by his arrogance and incompetence that led to last night and the board for leaving it again

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

10. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    This ain't no one off with Neil Lennon....no way.
    Seen this countless times with him.
    The wheels of the bus came off last night and are still rolling down the road.

11. celtic warrior

Yes he does and ive given it to him in posts, before he was given the job i was one of those who said they prefer someone else to come in.

But Lennon is here, he gets my support as current manager.

But if Lennon is considered one of us, being offered the job again after getting sacked at hibs, he/we would be insane to turn it down.

The board hired him and for all intents and purposes appeared to have only ever considered him for the role.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

I'd have started Johnstone in all fairness, but * me - Morgan before Sinclair? Atrocious decision.

13. CountyDownFaithful

The ultimate blame lies at Lawwell's door but Lennon got it so wrong last night.

I said at the end of last season that Lennon wouldn't be my first choice but I'd get behind him. Last night's tactical decisions and failure to change it up when in a winning position (twice!) has brought all my doubts about him flooding back.

Despite the lack of investment, we had a far better squad than Cluj and should have qualified. If he is going to be Lawwell's puppet, then he isn't the man to take us forward.

littlekennie likes this.
  14. Sgt Neppers*

Hard to argue with that. Slept on it and still raging about his choices and post match comments. His.comments the past week have been back and forth to the point he seems a puppet to to Lawell who has far to much influence with the squad and football matters.

The next two years are crucial to everybody at the club with 9/10 on the horizon, the chance to be legendary, 1st time ever setting a new precedent and putting us out of reach of the parity of us and them with 9 in a row, instead of focusing on ourselves 100% and investing correctly and timeously, we seem to just do enough domestically, just doing enough ahead of others hoping they eventually falter.

Champions league plays a big part in that and he treated it with contempt in his choices last night. Everybody deserves chances and we were spolied at times with BR, but failure to get in to Europa, beat the scum on the 1st (against tactics similar to Cluj in ur face high press) and he's up against it no doubt.

That's not even taking it to account our change of plans now in the transfer market.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Martybhoy53 likes this.
  15. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Tactics dont play games...players do and we all know that some players are not up to it, so they should never have been played or in some cases signed. Yes Lennon has to be held to account and if Lennon wasnt backed by hard cash for signings Lawell as well...... but so do some players as they played and lost the game...............when was the last time the Celts shipped 4 at home too any side ????

16. The10iscominghome Upthera1888

I could’ve picked a better team selection last night.... Best midfielder playing LB. just signed boligoli says it all really and it must do the lads confidence the world of good?? Had 10m of signings sitting on the bench in one of the most important games of the season I don’t see what happens in training but if there not ready to play why the * they on the bench. Feel like Lennon was an easy target for the people in the backround to pull the strings and for him to be there puppet dud he not learn last time around after last night the Tierney money is gone. This time next year we will be talking about calmac and Ajer in the same way.... get it * sorted instead of going out and buying duds at 2/3 million a pop go buy someone that proven not a work in progress or someone that might do a job I’ve had enough of this tinpot mentality giving Lennon the job in first place again says it all.

Martybhoy53 likes this.
  17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Didn’t want him here in the first place.
    Unfortunately, that opinion is exactly why Lawwell hired him.

He knew he could get away with it because people like him.

18. Onefootwonder

I'm getting to the stage I think we will be in for a real fight. I fear that their improvement and our regression under Lennon is putting us far too close together.

We keep taking everything for granted and too lightly. The arrogance will end up costing us.

Even last night was taken too lightly. The players weren't up for the game and Lennon left proven back up in Sinclair out of the squad.

I feel a bit uneasy that more negativity is setting into our club by the week. We are losing our way.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It feels to me as if he's morphed into a Hibs Manager. He's lost the fire in his belly from first time around IMO. He painted it as maturing, I'm seeing it as a regression.

This is exactly how his time at Hibs went, high scoring games and big defeats followed by excuses and bizarre statements when he should be appeasing the fans he's let down.

We're not a club that is set up to accept defeat, particularly at home. Something has to change quickly, REALLY quickly when you look at the fixture list coming up.

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I don't blame Lenny, i blame the Board for giving him the job, in an effort to save money it will actually cost us big time.