1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions league exit will hamper the squad building - Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Blochairnbhoy, Aug 13, 2019.

Discuss Champions league exit will hamper the squad building - Neil Lennon in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Exactly wouldn’t have been that embarrassing.

2. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I done it last season mate never took the Europa package, we are getting the * taken out us plus the money we have spent on players looks iffy at best. This all stems from the top, but Lennon tonight made a complete * of it and cannot be defended.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I've never not bought the package myself but for a guy that only understands cold, hard cash I don't know what else we can do.

20,000 empty seats at Parkhead under Deila didn't make him change his policy, 2 embarrassing non-qualifications to the UCL under Deila (3 if you include the Legia reprieve didn't do it either.

Everything is about squeezing as much money out of us as possible through games, corporate, merchandise, DVDs, Festivals while doing the minimum we can go stay ahead of the huns. We've had an 8 year run at titles where we've been seeded for the UCL and should be so far ahead of them because of that, it's as clear as day we're not.

The buck stops with one man. Last summer I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the way the rat was behaving but to sneakily appoint Lennon right after the Treble Treble knowing he was an unpopular appointment, then boasting that he never even bothered to do due diligence and check any other applications and then fail to back Lennon by bringing in players in a timely manner to allow him the best chance to hit the ground running. Disgusting.

We've punted Tierney and he will make sure that we make a profit whatever happens, as we have done in 4 of the last 6 seasons we've failed to qualify. Callum McGregor and Édouard will be the next 2 to go within the next 12 months, to be replaced by whoever we can source for the cheapest price.

I'm positive that part of Édouard signing would've been the chance for exposure to Champions League in the same way as Dembele, I think he'll be having a rethink given that hasn't happened the last 2 years.

Lawwell's ego is so out of control that there's no part of him that will accept any responsibility for this failure, he'll put it down to bad tactics on the night by Lennon, supporters will get on board with that and he'll get to continue his swindle with the next manager in the hotseat...and the next...and the next.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    We scored 3 at home which should be enough to win any game of football. We lost 4 because we lost our whole back line from last season. We have replaced them with sub standard players.

Do you remember Lawwell saying Lennon had a great eye for a player? I'm seeing no evidence of that in this team.

* the Europa. I'd rather not be playing Thursday and then see us struggle against SPL teams on a Sunday.

Raging is an understatement

5. jambo_cfc

Is it true that celtic get 5million for going out at this stage?

SCOTTYBHOY_67 likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

'Had they held on, then edged past Slavia Prague in the play-off round to reach the Champions League group stage, Celtic would have been guaranteed 15.25m euros (£14.13m). Instead, should they progress past AIK of Sweden or Sherrif Tiraspol of Moldova in the Europa League play-offs, they will pick up a comparatively paltry 2.92m euros (£2.71m).

That is the thick end of £12m gone already. But the haemorrhaging does not stop there. As the table below shows, the difference in money received for picking up points in the respective competitions is stark. So, too, is the bounty on offer for reaching the knockout stages.

Then there is Celtic's share of the coefficent ranking pot. That would have been at least another 1.1m euros (£1m), based on where the Scottish champions would have ranked among the 32 teams in the groups. In the Europa League, that payment would range from 71,430 euros (£66,000) to 3.42m euros (£3.17m) - but the latter would only be claimed if Celtic were the highest-ranked team in the competition.'

7. LyleDavidson

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson & Sutton - KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    COYBG
    The club have once again let the supporters and itself down by its lack of activity in the transfer window. We are in the best financial position we have ever been in and the club still play roulette with qualification by not investing in the team early enough. We seem to want to compare ourselves with clubs of a similar size like Ajax, Benfica who buy and sell there talent for big values. Well if we want to run with this model we need to fully commit to it and start acting like a big club, Everyone knew KT was going to leave and there should have been a replacement in at least 6 months ago, Lennon claims their was a contingency plan in place for Lennon going and if that is any names mentioned (eg. Bolingoli, Meiling Taylor Lowe) no one would convince me that they wouldn’t have come in and played a bit part role until he moved on, the club are totally reactive and not proactive.

We entered the window in a position where we should have been putting in the foundations to secure CL football and put 9 out of question but instead we are now hopeful of Europa League qualification and giving them confidence by our lack of activity when we know the squad has not been invested in properly.

When will we ever strengthen from a point of strength??

Foley26 likes this.
  8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Its fine we sold our best player.

Murph-E likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We wouldnt have scored 3 either.

10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

There's a headline you want to read when you've just crashed out of the CL.

Just * off.

jimbobers and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  11. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

That's a bullshit statement. When was the last time qualifying for the UCL affected our ability to recruit players un a positive way?
    It's just being held up as a convenient, ready made excuse.

After his reasons for leaving his last stint in charge I can't believe he's this much of a puppet.

James, Murph-E and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  12. Pearse67*

* heres an idea, as mad as it seems why not strengthen in advance? Our transfers are always * reactionary, absolute tinpot shambles.
    Offering lennon the job in the showers, haggling over couple hundred grand for players, then lennon leaving 10 * million with the defensive signings on the bench and shoe horns our best centre mid in at left back!
    Anyone could see brown was having a * nightmare and this team was throwin constant balls into the box, why not bring on biton and that 6”5 centre * half ya paid 7m for???

Wish to * lawwell would * of and take lennon with him.

Disgusted!!!

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Tactics lost us that game. * bulshit. Pay peanuts get monkeys. Thanks lawel.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

His statements to the public both in Interviews and Press Conferences are getting * ridiculous.

Contradictory, depressing, negative and completely the opposite of the Lenny we had first time round that would fight our corner to the death.

Why would you come away with that after instigating that pish last night? Inexcusable.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't give a * about going out of Europe, we have £25m in first team funds as far as I'm concerned.

Two full backs, a centre mid, and a goalkeeper. Get it * done.

Tommy25 and Sydneysider like this.
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    If not qualifying for the CL this year hampers us building a proper team on the park, then rest assured we won’t qualify next year either.

It’s utterly ridiculous to think you can wing it at this level.

Play your best midfielder - who happens to be short, not especially quick, not great in the air etc - at left back and teams will exploit you at this level.

Bring in replacement defenders, don’t give them adequate time to gel, and teams will exploit you at this level.

Honestly, there’s something endemically wrong with the club just now, that’s probably been in place over the last 18 months or so. We can talk about how difficult it is to attract players here all we like, but the reality is others with significantly less resources do manage it. The Cluj side that was assembled for a fraction of the cost of our own looked more structured, coherent, and with more hunger than our own.

I know people don’t like hearing it, but the business we do in the next two weeks will have a major impact on our league season this year. This feels like a ‘rebuilding’ year which is just so unnecessary. The players that have departed haven’t just left out of the blue, in most cases we’ve known exactly when they would be departing. It feels as though we don’t even look at potential replacements until a few weeks after they’ve gone.

Maestro 08 likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Puffs cheeks..

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

The one hope I had when Lennon was appointed was that he wouldn't be yes man or a puppet solely based on the way he left the club first time round. It appears I couldn't have been more wrong

19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Or pay £7m and £3m and get duds and pay peanuts and get decent RB.

Sydneysider likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Or pay £7m and no play them so you dont find out. Comper mk2

Sydneysider likes this.