1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stirfry999, Aug 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    True, if I was in charge we'd have made all our signings by now - it's not like we don't have the money. Every year we go into these qualifiers without a settled team when it's difficult as it is even if we had our best XI available from the start for all games.

seanm and jocksteinupper like this.
  2. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I forgot to add mate, i don't even believe we needed the KT sale either. Makes it even worse.

seanm likes this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    No. I wasnt making a direct comparison. The original poster had stated that the Lennon appointment has come back to bite us.

The point i was making was that we were put out at the same stage the previous season against a similarly mediocre side.

The poster then began to state Rodgers achievements and a previous CL performance, which i didnt think was relevant to the fact that we were still just as bad in europe the season before.

No i didnt want Lennon as manager and no i dont think he is a better coach than Rodgers, but once he was appointed id back him and id still far rather Lennon to Moyes.

I did think we might fair better in europe and i did think that we might make better signings under Lennon.

4. joemc

Our whole ethos is our downfall ,buy young ,develop they leave in 3 years max, there always has to be profit and buying at the right age ,but it's the wrong age if we seriously have any ambitions,we need a few more experienced players alongside our young players ,but we wont buy them or cant afford good enough ones .
    Forrest has reached a good cl level ,Christie was very good in midfield, cham was decent edouard was decent ,that's it the rest were average or below average ,tonight reminded me of Tony mowbray era ,a team full of forwards and no defence ,that was complete panic and I like Lennon,I cant believe like most he played cal mac in defence,or I should say at the back because it's not a defence,it was a joke .
    Mikey johnston although a good player is not quite ready for a game like tonight ,neither is Morgan ,ajer needs a steady partner alongside him ,to many changes is doing him no favours . Finally the club has fuckd us again leaving things to late to fix ,defence has needed strengthening for years now and we have never got it covered ,we lost Tierney and boyata,our defence is much weaker than last year ,we got found out and the only blessing is ,its at the start of the season ,this has show the club how bad we are at the back something we as fans have been screaming about for years .

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree with that. When you look at characters of the past, Sutton, Larsson, Hartson, Petrov, Thompson, Mjalby.. these guys were winners and with big character and heart. Even McGeady, McDonald, greetin face moaners but winners.

Strachan seems to be really highly rated as a coach by anyone who has played under him. And he combined the flair of Naka and McGeady with steel and drive like Brown and Robson. He cherry picked the best of the SPL too and took them to the champions league.

I do agree we need more characters/leaders/winners

NyköpingCelt likes this.
  6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    We should have beaten both. We have a far higher standard of player and that is not being unfair or ignorant.

Both our tactics and coaching has let us down in both ties as well as recruiting in priority positions

7. Victor Wanyama

We got knocked out by utter * tonight.
    Slavia will sweep them aside easily and show how embarrassing this result really was,
    Conceding four goals at home to cluj is a new low. Sick & tired of the board, the * don’t deserve 50k+ season tickets & we deserve 100x better.

8. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

undoubtedly we have a higher standard of player in an attacking sense but the players aren't good managers of the game or very streetwise on how to be cute and buy time when we need to slow things down, the defenders get all the stick at celtic but i dont think the rest of the team do anywhere near enough to help them

in a sentence when we play these tough champions league qualifiers we dont handle the games or the pressure well

were great when we are all loose and free flowing attacking and winning with no fear but ask us to be a bit conservative or keep things tight on the park and we just cant do it, it allows a fear to permeate in some of the players minds

anyway we should be used to this * by now

Eazey, jimbobers and RI Bhoy like this.
  9. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Completely agree. The defence at Celtic has been getting pelters for years regardless of personnel.

You could have the best defence in the world but if you’ve not got a midfield that is positionally aware and can cut off passing lanes when necessary then we’re going to get found out by decent teams.

That’s all they were. Decent. But they were wise enough to identify weaknesses and manage the game better than we did. An all too familiar story as with AEK, Malmo, Maribor etc.

We absolutely don’t deserve to be there. A team that can manage to concede 4 goals at home against anyone, let alone Cluj, is lucky to be in contention for any sort of European football.

MagicBallBhoy and seanm like this.
  10. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    6 goals conceded in our last 2 games is a frightening statistic. Fair enough if it was * barca and bayern, but motherwell and cluj?

seanm likes this.
  11. TheHappyLoss

Still can’t believe that happened, shocking. They should be paying us to go to the europa play off game

12. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Having now slept and the dust has settled, the reality of that defeat has sunk in...………..Im still fecking fuming !!!

13. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Yeah it just hits you five minutes after you wake up and you boil the kettle. Lennon got it wrong last night . Brown past it. Dont care if hes the fittest at the bleep test . Mcgregor has to take up his position now. He will drop nctham now who will be made a scapegoat .pity the team selection for games doesnt go to a public vote because loads of people on here put up great formations last night that wouldve killed the tie . Ah well onwards and upwards ..HH

TonyTim, Eazey and seanm like this.
  14. StevieBhoooy!

Don’t worry... the KT money is still in the vault and just earned a days more interest!

15. Foley26

Couldn’t agree more with this when you look at the goals we conceded last night the first the defence can be blamed, Brown failed to prevent the cross (covering midfielder) but the guy who headed it was completely free on the edge of our six yard box fairly centrally.

The second though is two moments of stupidity to concede the corner then the penalty.

We then get ourselves back in front and look like going on to kill the game but let a guy waltz forward unchallenged and hit a fairly tame shot on goal which is pushed back out to there attacker who has stole ahead of the right back.

I believe so much of our defensives woes come from a lack of protection from a defensive midfielder who is switched on and tracks midfield runners or breaks up the play. Both Cluj games and Motherwell (for the first half an hour) they were just running past our midfield or simply passing it around them because they were positionally all over the place. It doesn’t help that members of our defence (current and previous all have tendencies to completely switch off and allow players to drift away from them at crucial moments or fail to read the game. This may be down to the lack of experience we have and have had in the team recently. Lustig being an exception but his legs wouldn’t get him where he needed to be for the last 18 months.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Eh ? * you slabbering on about pal ?

bagforlife likes this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    You were "shot down" as it was * pish and when you were asked to justify it you couldn't. Hope this helps.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yeah, however if we had appointed Benitez with Mourinho as his number 2 we would have already won the CL this season.

19. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Aye the same Rodgers that got knocked out at the same stage last season which was your original point was it not ?

20. Sydneysider