1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by stirfry999, Aug 10, 2019.

Discuss Celtic v CFR Cluj Tues 13th Aug KO 7:45pm Live on Celtic TV including the UK and Ireland. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Well given that we have won all of our league games so far, i think it can be safely inferred that the issue you have is with losing tonights game, and at this stage of the qualifiers?!

2. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Who says we needed that tonight? There’s not a single Cluj player that would get into our squad, all we needed to do was outplay them and we’d win the tie. A midfield three of McGregor, Christie and Ntcham would’ve dominated them.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think every squad needs balance and I think a midfield of Christie, Mcgregor and Ntcham doesnt have balance. Its just my opinion, people have wanted that three in midfield but im a big fan of having a Wanyama type in there.
    Id have loved to have seen Wanyama and Van dijk in the same line up.

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

It's the 14th of August we have played 2 league games :giggle1:

Obviously I have issue with tonights game not the stage of the qualifier but the manner of performance. I'm genuinely struggling as to what your point is here ? It's fine because we've won both league games ?

5. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Don’t disagree with that when I said our midfield to front was good I meant our attacking side has been good - when Im talking defending being poor it is partly because we don’t have a great defensive midfielder according to the snake that’s what Kouassi was bought for - though for one reason or another he doesn’t get near the squad

G_portillo likes this.
  6. NyköpingCelt

We fancy our chances against the likes of Man City, Leipzig and Zenit, but we get nervous against the likes of Astana and Cluj. This is what it means to be Celtic.

Lennon mentioned something about us being passive in the first half today. How can professional footballers be passive on a football pitch? They’ve only been playing since they were 4 years old. It’s the same story every year in Europe. We need to start buying players with something about them.

Sydneysider likes this.
  7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Well im stating about the league games because you have made your judgement based on tonights result. Yet when you mention Rodgers previous past european performance, you dont mention Lennons? Its double standards.

Exactly, so all you are judging Lennon on is tonights game, yet you are ignorant of the fact that we got put out of last seasons qualifiers, at the very same stage, by AEK who were a very mediocre side who went on to qualify and then didnt achieve a single win (and maybe point?).

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    How can they not get fired up to reach the champions league? Its essentially the biggest stage of club football.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

We've done this. I did mention Lennons if you read back i mentioned Barca and the last 16

Do you think Lennon is as good a manager as Rodgers ?
    Did you want Lennon appointed at the end of last season ?

10. Paradise88

We can blame the board for going cheap with Lennon. We can blame Lennon for resting £10m worth of defence, dodgy tactics... But we just just need to look at our level and see that 4 rounds of qualifiers is just too much for us to handle.

Slavia Praha would have humped us.

Fully87 and seanm like this.
  11. oh bhoy

exactly right all we had to do is play the way we have done for the past 3 years (and start the right * team)

12. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Don’t think cluj were much better than rosenborg decent well drilled side with no great stars in their team we didn’t play well against Rosenberg but in the group stages we looked solid in defence and kept them quiet tonight our defending was calamitous

Fully87 likes this.
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Exciting game but terribly poor handling of the game I though, the two times we went 2-1 and 3-2 up we never slowed the game down.

We need to be dirtier and sneakier as we get outdone in the time wasting and fouling stakes all the time off these wee teams. Both times we went ahead we shoud have fouled them every time they crossed the half way line and any time we were touched we should have been down taking a breather instead we just plod away like nothings happening. Everytime we play these Cluj, AEK, Astana, Hapoel, Malmo etc teams they all have the beating of us mentally by not caring about blatntly fouling and disrupting games and running the clock down something we've never got near doing right.

Few blunders cost us I think, Ajer weak at their 3rd goal, Bain also should have made a better save and McGregor was a weak link at the back and should either have been moved into midfield and Boli brought on or Morgan should have come on sooner to help double up as Johnston doesnt have much defensive nous.

They were targetting McGregor blatantly and for a long time and we never corrected it. Everytime they got the ball in any position they launched a hight ball out to that number 10 who got it down every time and beat McGregor and got a ball in or layed it off for the ball to be put in, far too simple.

Attacking play was pretty good, Elhamed, Forrest, Christie and Edouard all very effective not much from Ntcham, Johnston did beat players well but never had any sight on goal or played a final ball.

Shocking to be knocked out by them I think, over the games the only guy who looked a player in their team was their number 10.

Fully87 and Dalbeth3 like this.
  14. James Gold Member Gold Member

The thing that gets me is we all know what we should have down so how can the manager not see it.

Mcgregor should never have been in at LB
    Then at 2-1 get Bitton or Jullien on to close it out

It is genuinely the basics. We needlessly made it look like a basketball game

Gyp Rosetti and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  15. oh bhoy

Right before their 3rd they brought on an attacker and Lennon did nothing to counter it

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Losing 4 goals at home is alarming, especially to a team that were decent but by no means top quality.

We left it too late to get the defence sorted and it has cost us yet again, it's like a re-run of the same old movie......

joemc and StPauli1916 like this.
  17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Have you taken both managers European performances over the full piece? Including Lennon’s first tenure as manager?

In 5 campaigns, Lennon had one great season among several awful campaigns. Rodgers gave us 2 CL group stage appearances along with 2 European campaigns after Xmas.

Is is also probable to conclude that Rodgers had harder qualifying campaigns compared to Lennon’s first tenure and this campaign. You seriously cannot suggest AEK Athens (champions of Greece ahead of Olympiacos, PAOK and Panathanikos) as a comparable opponent to Cluj even if we should have beat them.

aliceinsound likes this.
  18. NyköpingCelt

Too many snowflakes in the team, we’re too essily bullied these days. The slightest bit of negativity in the press totally impacts the players as well.

Strachan took us to the last 16 two years in a row with a really average team. I don’t exactly think of Telfer, Hartley, Naylor, Robson, Mcmanus, McDonald and Caldwell when I think of the champions league, but at least they were up for a battle and got stuck in.

Cluj kicked us up and down the park tonight and we allowed them to.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    To be fair Cluj aren't mugs either, the Romanian League is probably a higher standard than our League so to win that you can't be too bad.

They were a clever and sneaky team, experienced at grinding out results. Footballing wise they didn't have a lot about them but really neither did AEK last season, AEK were very defensive and a countering team themselves. We should really have beat both, we're a better team than both and outplayed them over the ties but it is fine margins.

Fully87 and FrankMcCallum like this.
  20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Fair points but we knew this at the start of the window mate and yet again we gamble on a CL that would lift the place till Xmas, never the mind the cash, from a position of real financial strength compared to other times in our history. And we * it yet again. I just can't for the life of me get their rationale for this, year after year. Utterly bewildering!! To me anyway.

seanm likes this.