1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Absolutely adore this guy :49:

“I’ve been lucky to be at a fantastic club for so long. There’s also the the opportunity to go in at the start of a new club, build it up from nothing and go as far as you could. You look at that as well.

“At the end of the day I went with my heart more than anything.

“I’ve got so many friends at the club and it’s part of my every day life. If I went somewhere else I could be sitting in six months and thinking, ‘what have I done?’

“Yeah, it sounds lovely. The weather’s nice, there’s a golf course... actually, what was I thinking?!

Ask me again in December if I’ve made the right decision!

“But honestly, with everything going on here, winning eight in a row, going for nine, the place is buzzing. We’ll find out in a year if I’ve made the right choice but I believe I was right to go with my heart.

“It’s a special place to play football. You look at all the changes around the ground since I first came here.

“It’s incredible what the club’s done in the area, the foundation has done really well, there is Billy McNeill and Jimmy Johnstone statues out there. It all means so much to the fans to come up the Celtic way and see the legends on the flags.

“I don’t know about a Scott Brown statue – could you imagine what it would look like?!”

Bring on a 4th Treble Broony and you will get your statue :100: Sevco are definitely forever in our shadow :84:
    They will never know what all this feels like. They will never have the modern day legends that we will have. The best of the best lining the Celtic Way :100:

2. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Am I right in saying this LEGEND is currently on 529 games leveling with Jinky at number 10 in the all-time appearances. Next games would put him into top 10....Some company up there

EDIT:
    Billy McNeill 1957–1975 - 822
    Alec McNair 1904–1925 - 684
    Paul McStay 1981–1997 - 683
    Roy Aitken 1976–1990 - 682
    Danny McGrain 1970–1987 - 681
    Patrick Bonner 1978–1995 - 646
    Bobby Lennox 1961–1978 - 599
    Bobby Evans 1944–1960 - 580
    Jimmy McMenemy 1902–1920 - 558
    Jimmy Johnstone 1962–1975 & SCOTT BROWN 2007 - Present - 529

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think with the whole thing regarding KT, it has highlighted how much of a true legend this man is.

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Before my time but Roy Aitken must have never been out injured if he clocked up that many games in 14 years.

5. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You can see his body is slowing down but his game intelligence has increased tenfold in the last few seasons.

We really need someone similar in style in the next season or two who can take over his role.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Wow, Cesar 822 games :notworthy

Random Review and Lilac Wine like this.
  7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Nobody ever offered to treble Browns wages. Love Brown but I won't be using it as a stick to beat KT with.

Murph-E and Lilac Wine like this.
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

Brown could have earned significantly more money elsewhere, without question; loyalty has kept him at Celtic.

Random Review likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Maybe not treble but wasn't he offered nearly £50k a week with that been Australian team? And it may have came across as a dig at KT but I didn't mean it to. I genuinely just meant that with KT wanting to leave, it really puts this man into perspective within the history books of our club.

Slaw and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  11. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This is the first year since the skipper signed I've had doubts. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and has an outstanding season. Nothing would please me more than to see him lift the trophy for the ten!

Again, the amount of crap others and myself have went through over the years defending his qualities as a player and a leader on this forum has been shocking. I'm glad he proved all the doubters wrong but even I am worrying we could bring in better for this campaign!

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic captain Scott Brown says it will be “brilliant” when football welcomes its first openly gay player.

The 34-year-old added he would “love to see a player comfortable enough to come out at Celtic” and added that the club would be “accepting, no matter what”.

Brown said it would be “incredibly tough” for the first professional to come out but believes it would “great” for the game.

The veteran midfielder hopes any gay player would choose to confide in him and he would “help in any way, shape or form I can”.

Homophobia remains a blight in Scottish football and elsewhere.

Brown also launched an attack on racism against his fellow players and internet trolls who target those in the sport.

He spoke out as he prepares for another season with the Parkhead outfit, 12 years after his £4.4million move from Hibs.

The Celtic skipper has won a reputation for toughness on the field but opened his heart about the plight of gay footballers.

He said: “Being gay or bisexual shouldn’t matter in football. As soon as you put that strip on, you’re one of us – no matter who you are. It must be hard being a gay footballer. They say there’s one in every dressing room and to hide it must be tough.

“I hope that someone does feel comfortable enough to come out because I can’t imagine having to hide who you are.

“Not coming out to the lads around you must be so hard but I know that at Celtic Park, we would be accepting

I’d love to see a player comfortable enough to come out at Celtic.

“I think everyone down in England thinks Scotland is a much harder place but we’re very soft-hearted beneath it all sometimes.”

Brown spoke to Paddy Power’s Pitch Invader magazine, which Record readers will get free and exclusively inside Monday’s paper.

The bookmaker is sponsoring Brighton Pride 2019 as part of its drive against homophobia in football, in partnership with Gay Times.

Former Scotland star Brown said he would back gay players and would be unconcerned about being targeted by homophobes because of his support.

He added: “I’d like people to know that I’m there. I’d never judge someone for their sexuality, or have a problem with it and I’d be happy to sit down and chat to someone about it.

I know what a huge step it must be and if someone wanted to speak to me confidentially, I would be there for them.

“Some people might want to quietly tell their family, friends and teammates and I’d be there to support them. I know it’s always going to be hard but I will be there to help someone in any way, shape or form that I can.

“Being captain of Celtic and a captain of Scotland for many years, I know it’s always going to be so hard for somebody to come out.

“No matter who does it, or when it is that someone comes out, it’ll be brilliant for football as a whole.

“It’s going to be incredibly tough for that first person but I believe it’ll be great for football to become more accepting.

“Whoever does come out in football will get a lot of respect and they deserve that.”

Dunfermline-born Brown, who has 55 caps for Scotland, married wife Lisa in 2009 and the couple have three sons.

He added that racism is still a problem at Scottish grounds and also among sick online trolls.

Brown said: “I tweet and use Instagram but talk about Celtic stuff. If people want to give me a bit of grief on social media, I don’t mind that.

“I don’t bite back at anyone but it’s getting harder and harder. I’ve had teammates that have been racially abused through social media, as well as the terraces, and it’s really hard to take.

I’ve seen racism towards my teammates and the impact that can have on them and the team.

“They’re my mates and are getting bullied and racially abused. It’s not nice to see that. The lads in the team stick together, so we find it tough to take when we see that level of abuse.”

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    jimbobers, Rydo1888*, Montero and 4 others like this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just to add to what Jeannie said, why we love Broony.

"It looks hot, ask me again in December."

Every pic that Notorious posts of us training, no matter what season, Broony is always smiling and so are the players around him. He's such a force of nature Captain his smile melts ice.

Really need to be careful comparing Celtic players to other Celtic players. We're never going to have another Cesar or Jinky, not unless Messi signs and even then if my old Bhoy was alive that would be a heated debate.

KT is a young Celtic fan playing for Celtic. If he leaves good luck to him, if he stays that's good luck for us.

Broony's legendary status has * all to do with anyone else apart from Broony \o/

14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Read it last night when I was putting the magazines out in shop for today really good interview

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

15. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't think I could love Broony anymore than I already do, my * hero :notworthy:notworthy

Lilac Wine and Avatar Daizen like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCORING goals became a problem, of sorts, for a team last season which won its third Treble in a row.

It’s ridiculous, of course, to criticise but Celtic for a good part of yet another hugely successful season won a lot of games 1-0 and even when things clicked, the goals did not flow. Things have changed.

Neil Lennon was determined to make his team exciting, one which could find the net from anywhere on the field and no matter how a game was going. So far, so excellent.

Scott Brown believes a limited number of goalscorers was a problem. That and the fact teams had worked out the 4-2-3-1 Brendan Rodgers favours, a system Lennon didn’t dare tinker with.

With a tricky away tie at Cluj coming up, the Scottish champions head to Romania confident of getting an away goal, something which wasn’t the case in previous season. Indeed, after their 7-0 win over St Johnstone and five away goals in total collected from the previous two qualifiers, it would be a surprise if one of Celtic’s many threats failed to find the target.

Brown said: “We relied a lot on Odsonne (Edouard) to score our goals, although Scott Sinclair and James Forrest also chipped in. It was all about the wingers and the lone striker but now that Griff is back and Bayo is also on the mend we have three strikers we can use and that helps us play in a more attacking formation.

“The gaffer likes us getting the ball into the penalty area nice and early and, to be fair, there’s no-one better in the business to have there than Leigh and Odsonne.

“Everyone used to know that we’d play with two wide men, a lone striker and either one or two No.10s but we’ve tried to chop and change so that we’re not one-dimensional all the time – not that I think we were before.

A lot of other teams would try the low block against us and try to counter-attack us but we had enough in defence to deal with most of them. That wasn’t the problem, though; the goals had just dried up, although we still managed to win the title and the Scottish Cup.

Odsonne is still only 21 but he’s been brilliant for us and he’s also good in the dressing room. On the pitch he works at closing people down, his hold-up play is important and he’s a natural finisher as well.

“With Leigh available again and Ryan Christie making those runs in behind and creating space for others, that’s also helped him.”

The return of Griffiths has been huge for Celtic. As a starter of substitute, this is one striker who always gets chances, and usually takes them.

Brown is both fan and friend of is fellow east coaster. The skipper is delighted to see his pal looking, feeling and playing well.

The Celtic captain said: “Leigh has been great since he’s come back in. He’s been working hard and he needs to keep pushing because he’s not getting any younger – he just told me he’s going to be 29 next month!

“Leigh’s one of the good guys in the dressing room; everyone can have a bit of banter with him because he has that in his locker as well but the main thing is to have him back on the pitch and scoring goals, which is what he loves and does best.

“We’ve tickled our formation a little so that we can have both Leigh and Odsonne up front because we know how deadly they can be in the box. For us, it’s about their work-rate – they need to show that they can function as a partnership and they’ve done that so far but they have to keep that ticking over.

It’s given us the option to play with two up front, domestically and in Europe.”

Nobody has played more games in Europe for Celtic than Brown and he’s desperate to add to his many memories, good and bad, by beating Cluj at the stage when last season, AEK Athens ended the club’s Champions League hopes.

Brown said: “Getting to the Champions League is like winning a trophy for us. The manager calls it the fourth trophy of the season. Everyone knows how hard it is, you are up against top quality sides in the qualifiers.

“We have terrific home advantage and our 60,000 fans make this a very intimidating place. The away leg first is always best. I always prefer home advantage in the second game. If you go there and come back with a result, you know you are coming back to your own fans.

“But you need to go away from home as well. We’ve had two good results so far but we need to keep improving. We’ve got the Champions League, the league starting and the Betfed Cup as well. The games as going to be coming thick and fast.”

17. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Broony on that wonderful decision to join the Bhoys & reject 'them' (Express)

Brown began his footballing career at Scottish club Hibernian where he joined the Edinburgh club’s academy at the age of 13.

In 2002 the midfielder made his debut for Hibs and during his time at the club, he helped them win the Scottish League cup in the 2006/07 season.

His performances for the Hibees caught the attention of Celtic and Rangers and both clubs were interested in seeing the midfielder swap Edinburgh for Glasgow.

However, Brown admits that after speaking to managers and staff from both clubs, it was the Celtic manager and staff’s “love for football” that swayed him in joining the Parkhead club.

“When Hibs accepted an offer from Celtic, Rangers matched it,” Brown told Paddy Power.

“So I went down to London and met Celtic, Gordan Strachan and Peter Lawwell, and I spoke to David Murray, Walter Smith and Ally McCoist at the same time.

“I chatted to all of them, but honestly, it was Strachan and Tommy Burns that swayed me, the love for football they had.

“Getting to work under them was a dream cometrue for me.

“Then after my first year, when we won the league, I had an offer to go down to England, but I wanted to say and keep winning.

“I love being part of Celtic history and seeing that success.”

During Brown’s time with the Hoops he has won nine Scottish Premiership titles, five Scottish Cups and five Scottish League Cups.

Celtic completed the domestic treble for the third straight year last season, but Brown admits he isn’t resting on his laurels.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1162219/Celtic-transfer-news-Scott-Brown-Rangers

Random Review likes this.
  18. Nicole

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Their banner after we signed Broony and they signed Thomson still makes me roll aboot the floor laughing ...
    Kevin Thomson - half the price , double the player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random Review, Moore and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He was decent last night, but not his usual dominant self. We really cant expect him to play 3 games in 7 days anymore and I think it showed TBH. Please, Celtic, rest him this weekend. The Cluj game is too important and we need him at 100%.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Thought he was good. Proper battler and what we needed to the hard tackles. As always brown plays best the more he plays, resting him hampers him.