1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UCL Campaign 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Blochairnbhoy, May 12, 2019.

Discuss UCL Campaign 2019/2020 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I know. Read my reply to Vertie.

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    One of the reasons I don't mind Rangers getting to the group stages. In the long run it benefits us.

3. Jeremie Frimpong

The fact that you said it:

Keano88 likes this.
  4. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'm far too small-minded for that mate!! Any Scotiish team yeah but them.....i just can't!! Actually would struggle with Hearts too.

PS-you could argue that them not getting there would help us with regards to Euro tv money, them not getting Euro money etc. It would leave us even stronger than them financially speaking albeit making it harder to qualify ourselves.

Lilac Wine and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If any of the others were likely to even get to the groups I would love for rangers to go out! They are not so I just keep a grin when they do go out.
    As long as we qualify for the champions league it is fine. I also think the more games they have the harder for them. We played over 180 competitive games with regular international players over the last 3 seasons. They have played 30 odd less than us and barely any international call ups. I think it made a difference last season as it took its toll over 3 years, and the seasons before that. It will happen to them to.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  6. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'll give you that too mate as i'd thought of it but couldn't be arsed updating my post!!!:67:

Weighing it all up.....i'd rather them out!!...just wish they'd hurry up and snuff it again.

7. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Em... Because that's exactly what you said? :giggle1:

"we would be in Pot 3 as long as ALL seeded teams win through from 2nd rd onwards."

Keano88 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  8. StevieBhoooy!

They’ll be up at about 80 games this season if you count all the ‘friendlies’ slotted in all over the place...

Even if they go out of Europe early they’ll line up ‘glamour matches’ to try and feel important and of course to bring in £15 a head.

(Btw. They’re NOT Rangers)

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Read the 2nd part of the sentence.

10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Given who we could play in the 3rd round, i really wish we could play a few extra competitive games, i.e a league cup game or two.

I had a look at AIK, Maccabi tel aviv and PAOK and i dont think they look anything too special on paper, but obviously are strong sides. Especially PAOK who had an invincible season and id imagine the atmosphere over ther would be mental.

We looked a bit slack against Sarajevo, understandable, but i trust Lennon will have us ready for the next few games.

11. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Talking of competitive games I would prefer any of our domestic threats to get as few games as possible at a higher level because that's practise for them. I know the other side of the argument is less games means more stamina but I'd rather risk that.

Why is everyone wanting Maribor? They've put us out recently so does that mean all the other teams will be dangerous or the Maribor game was such an anomaly it shouldn't be regarded?

jocksteinupper likes this.
  12. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Not really sure who I would want, dunno much about them. Not really expecting to get to UCL groups this year, but would be a magic bonus if we pulled it off.

13. Jeremie Frimpong

I have: it is still wrong.

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    There's only one possible threat for the title and that's the orcs. Like you, I want them out of Europe pronto. That's not to say the sheep getting to the groups wouldn't be handy for the ranking

With respect to Maribor I would treat that result as an anomaly that night. Ronnie was * clueless.... almost as if we were happy with a 0-0 that night. Harder sides than them in that draw and would be decent imo if them and us qualify

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. Jeremie Frimpong

Read the second part of the sentence (the part that emphasises that we need ALL seeded teams to progress from the second round onwards). :giggle1:

Colin Robinson likes this.
  16. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Mate you could have put a full stop after the number 3 in your original post. No need for anything else. To quote 'as long as' suggests conditions for it to happen .If we qualify we're pot 3 regardless of anything else that happens.

Ps- unless you mean change of pot. They can't happen either. We can't go to either pot 2 or 4. Impossible.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Don't think azebajian are... We not 20 th

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

What time is the draw?

19. scomur1888

A big hour coming up for us.

This draw, if it goes in our favour, would hopefully see us progress into the playoff round and would therefore guarantee European football regardless of the result in this round, lose and we go directly into the europa groups.

Reading last week that beaten champions league playoff teams will pocked £5mil each, on top of that you would be looking at around 15mil all in, including gate receipts etc,not bad in the grand scheme if things.

Looking at the 6 possible opponents for today's draw PAOK are the dreaded draw, only lost 2 games on the way to become Greek champions and would be an even greater task than what AEK Athens where last season. Red star, i think we are slight favourites.

The other 4 are very winnable, personally if like the winners of Maribor or Aik + Fenervacios Valletta.

In order of preference

1.Fernervacios/Valleta
    2.Maribor/AIK
    3. Qarabaq or Dundalk
    4.Tela/viv or Cluj
    5.Red Star
    6. PAOK

dec666 likes this.
  20. Keano88

Eleven.