1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    “Thief” with James Caan.

Really enjoyed it, was thinking it was very similar to Heat and it only clicked with me about halfway through it was a Michael Mann film. :giggle1:

KRS-1888, Taz and Valhalla like this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Another iconic Diner scene.

Reminded me of Drive as well.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  3. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Off to see 'Maradona' on Monday, anyone caught it yet?

Callum McGregor likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Airplane

First time watching it and it still holds up. Absolutely love that type of comedy. Leslie Nielsen was just phenomenal as that type of character.

Doogs., Jo-Jo-Buffon and Taz like this.
  5. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    [​IMG]

Still one of the funniest movies ever made. Go check out the sequel as well.

Jo-Jo-Buffon likes this.
  6. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The house that jack built.8.Its on amazon

Good movie,its an american psycho type movie.Great perfotmance by matt dillon.

7. Bonobhoy

Capricorn 1

Classic from the late 70's.

A bunch of astronauts are pulled out of the cockpit before takeoff on their way to Mars,only to be taken to a soundstage to fool the world that it happened. Attempting to esacpe the auhorities to get chased and killed before they tell the nation.

Conspiracy people will like this.

8. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    One of my all time favs , love the big basketball player playing himself lol

9. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

'Shaft' (2019) - pish,really nothing like the originals or the 2000 film.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Went to the flicks to see Rocketman.

Really good, liked it.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    'Yesterday'

Jack Malik is a struggling singer-songwriter in an English seaside town whose dreams of fame are rapidly fading, despite the fierce devotion and support of his childhood best friend, Ellie. After a freak bus accident during a mysterious global blackout, Jack wakes up to discover that The Beatles have never existed. Performing songs by the greatest band in history to a world that has never heard them, Jack becomes on overnight sensation with a little help from his agent.

The soundtrack is a lot better than the film.

--

Spiderman - Far From Home

I'm a bit bored of superhero films just now, especially Spiderman films. This is the second new Spiderman film I've seen in the last year ffs :56:. Anyway, it's still a good watch. Post credits scene is pretty good.

12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Yesterday

The Beatles songs are the main star here. The film itslf though is lacklustre and underwhelming. Especially disappointing to see a script with such immens flaws and big unexplained plotholes, which is a big problem when asking the audience in taking the leap to suspend disbelief for what is actually a super easy premise. Not one of Danny Boyle's better films. Can find better films that have relied upon Beatles songs such as Across the Universe or I Am Sam, that are both vastly better and more satisfying films.

Robert the Bruce

Even though it is a non sequal, at times this felt like it was aiming to be exactly that, and be a more aptly titled "Braveheart II", in that it does take liberties with historic fact and interweaves it's own fiction. That this extends beyond the central portrayal of titular character by Angus Macfadyen is undeniable (and is well brought to life in revisiting the character here) and it is also better than the recent Netflix film, Outlaw King. Worth sitting through though.

Blinded By the Light

Went to an Unlimited Unseen Screening this evening of this film - one where you go and have no idea what the film is you are going to see literally until after the trailers finish and the title card appears. There were a couple of walkouts in the first couple of minutes (this happens literally every time they do this... the couple beside me left barely a minute into the film, as they had been hoping was going to be Lion King and as soon as it wasnt could hear them quickly deciding they were going to go) but those that left missed a real gem of a film.

Based on a true story of a Pakistani family in 1980's Luton, centering on the teenage son, Javed, as the main protagonist, struggling with family, tradition and pride clashing, set to the backdrop of Thatcherite Britain, of mass lay-offs and unemploymentm struggling to make ends meet along with both the casual and overt racism that they live with, all the while counterbalanced Javed's own ambitions as a student and promising writer to escape, throughout inspired largely by the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen - which on the surface would seem odd but it works and there is a logic there. This was touching at times, funny, sad and life affirming at others, all set to a killer soundtrack of the Boss's classics from the 70's & 80's. Easily, one of the best movies of this year so far!

13. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Midsommar. Same director as Hereditary.

What an incredible movie this was. If you liked his last one then you’ll love this. Very creepy film the whole way through. A few laughs in there too. 10/10

Callum McGregor and Valhalla like this.
  14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Blindspotting

Class film. About two young men from the streets trying to come to terms with the gentrification in Oakland. A bit on the nose at times but canny believe there wasn’t more hype about this. Was funny as *.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Agree with this. Really enjoyed it.

Saw the new Lion King, today. I thought it was good. Was great to see a modern version of it while still maintaining the spirit of the original. It was a big nostalgia trip.

16. clonbhoy

I might be wrong here, but I read an enjoyable book a while back called ‘Greetings from Bury Park’, which was the memoirs of a young Pakistani boy who grew up in Luton in the ‘80s and how he used the music of The Boss to get through it. I assume there must be some connection? I will certainly check this out anyway.

Taz likes this.
  17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Misery - Great film.

When Harry Met Sally - also a great film

Taz and Mr Shelby like this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Lion King 2019

The original is arguably my favourite film of all time so nothing was ever going to top it but I liked it a lot. The production is ridiculously good.

Seen it at that Everyman Cinema and I’d had a few Drygate IPA’s right enough!

MacEwan and Callum McGregor like this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

Would never have guessed that.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Original Lion King has become more than a film. The stage shows off the back of it and the soundtrack are iconic.