1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. kramer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sammy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I really hope so. It's a massive year for use, and a fit Leigh Griffiths would be a huge boost.

3. celtic warrior

Sorry in advance for bringing up here.

Assuming he or eddie goes on to have a storming season, we should wind up the huns and hijack going for 55 for leigh or Eddie to score that many goals in a season.

That would wind them up something rotten.

Fully expecting pelters about this now.

4. TheHappyLoss

Everything winds them up they are in a state of constant anger

The IRA likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LG: "It’s going to be difficult. We need to make the home advantage count. We need to play positively, play on the front foot and try to take a sizable lead

LG: "First and foremost, we need to try and get through this tie. Not a lot of people have heard of the Estonian side but I’m sure they’ll be well drilled and will think they can come here and get a big result."

LG: "The boys in the dressing room have more than enough quality in the dressing room to get through, and if we do that then we have another difficult tie.

LG: "Pre-season is tough but it’s great to be back on the pitch with the boys and in amongst it. It was very tough being away. Without the support of the club, friends and family I wouldn’t be sitting here now."

LG: "It was a slow drip that was building up. Brendan seen that and stepped in. I owe a thank you to him. I’m trying to look forward now, be positive and get more games under my belt."

LG on Neil Lennon: "When he got the job it was a big relief for me because he was someone who’s been through it himself. He said this season was a clean slate, to go and show everyone that I can still be a top player and that’s what I intend to do."

LG on the reception he received against Sarajevo: "The reception was incredible. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. It was a moment I’ve waited on for a long time. It’s done with now and I look forward to future."

LG on
    @Oedouard22
    : "He’s playing out his skin and is doing so well. For a guy so young to play so many consecutive games has been brilliant. Hopefully as the season goes on we can strike up a partnership to play two up front."

LG: "I want to help get the club to
    The @ChampionsLeague
    . I have good record of scoring goals in these big games. Hopefully I get the chance to do that and then play as many minutes as possible

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    celtic#1 and Lilac Wine like this.
  7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Interesting interview. Sounds more thoughtful and mature than most of the interviews I've heard/read with him. Great to have him back.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He sounds like a changed man.

Rydo1888* and Lilac Wine like this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LEIGH Griffiths described the reception from Celtic fans for his competitive return as ‘incredible’ and vowed to build on the special moment with goals.

The 28-year-old striker marked his competitive return to action in last Wednesday’s 2-1 UEFA Champions League qualifying win over FK Sarajevo. His second-half substitute appearance was his first game at Paradise since Celtic’s 5-1 victory over Kilmarnock on December 8 last year.

Griffiths came on for Odsonne Edouard in the 79th minute and was greeted with a wonderful reception from the Celtic fans in the stadium. He admitted the standing evation and applause from the fans was moving, and said he hoped to thank them with goals as Celtic prepare for the first leg of their second qualifying round tie against Nomme Kalju this Wednesday night.

“The reception was incredible,” said Griffiths today (Monday). “I was talking to one of the kit men and he said it was one of the best receptions he’s ever heard. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. It was a moment I’ve waited in for a long time. It’s done with now and we look forward.

“I was a little bit nervous. The manage said beforehand that I’ve worked hard, I deserved to be here and to go and do what you do. Hopefully that’s just the first of many appearances this season.

“Just to get on a football park and start kicking a ball about again has driven me on. It’ll be even better when I start scoring goals in competitive matches.”

Griffiths replaced Edouard up front but the Hoops striker also discussed the prospect of working with the Frenchman as a pair for the season ahead.

“The manager knows what I can do and it’s just about getting those opportunities,” he said. “I can’t really shift Odsonne just now because he’s playing out his skin and is doing so well. For a guy so young to play so many consecutive games has been brilliant. Hopefully, as the season goes on, we can strike up a partnership to play two up front.

“The big man likes to come and get the ball to feet, turn and run at people. I like to go in-behind and stretch defences. It works but you can’t just through us in straight away. We need to work on that in training.”

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    That's a thoughtful interview. I know he's a grown man but I think his recent experience has matured him.

The IRA likes this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Liking him mentioning two up top, sounds like it's something they've talked about. I can't envisage anything but resounding success with him and Eddy teaming up.

Rydo1888* and tarboltontim like this.
  14. Bonobhoy

"After the darkness,there will be light"

Love that.

Well Done Wee Man.....Now go slay some orcs and have fun

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a good sort, Griff. Always has been.

Just a wee down to earth guy that’s * hot at scoring goals. I hope this is his best season in football coming up, for him and us.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Leigh Griffiths has revealed he feared Celtic would bin him rather than back him after he took time out to fight major depression

The Hoops striker was granted an indefinite leave of absence to battle his demons last season just three months after penning a four-year contract to keep him at Parkhead until 2022

But Griffiths, who returned to competitive action for the first time in seven months last week, was worried his Celtic career might have been over despite that long term deal.

And the 28-year-old insists the way bosses Brendan Rodgers and Neil Lennon stood by him along with Hoops chiefs is a mark of the club.

Griffiths admitted chief executive Peter Lawwell and the club’s hierarchy and backroom team were more concerned about his welfare than losing the services of a key player.

The frontman confessed he isn’t fully over his issues but is on the right road and would love to repay the club on the park - starting by helping them reach the Champions League group stage

Celtic face Nomme Kalju in the first leg of their second round qualifier tomorrow night and will meet Romanians CFR Cluj or Israeli side Maccabi Tel-Aviv in the next round if they overcome the Estonians

And as Griffiths continues his comeback, he opened up on his fears that his four-and-a-half year spell with the champions was over.

He said: “Taking time off it could have been easy for the club to cut ties altogether and say ‘look we’ll give you time off but in the summer it’s best if we go our separate ways’.

“It was a worry for me. I’m not going to lie. But it shows what this club is all about. It’s not just about looking out for itself.

“It’s about looking out for the players. They don’t want me to just play for Celtic. They want me to be okay after I finish my football career.

“I’m not fully over my problems but I have made giant strides to overcome it. It is not fully away yet, but the more I speak out and the more I speak to people who are helping me and have helped me along the way I won’t be too far away.

“It is a long-term thing. You can’t get fully rid of it. Something might trigger you and set you back a couple of paces.

But I have got a clearer mindset now. If something does happen I am not going to do certain things. I can’t thank the club enough to be honest.

“Peter Lawwell, the gaffer, Brendan Rodgers and Tom Dickson, as well as John Currie, Scott Brady, who have helped me during my time off to get match fit.

“They know what I can do, they know I can be a big success, and most importantly that I can score goals.

“They’ve had players in the past who might have been a bit of a problem but couldn’t score goals or do their job. I can.

“It’s just about getting my mindset right and getting focused on playing well, training well but, most importantly, feeling well off the park.

“This feels like a family, 100 per cent. Everywhere you go there’s always someone coming up to you and saying it’s great to have you back or it’s great to see you looking so well. I didn’t think I looked bad to be honest!

“These guys have played important roles as well as friends and family who have helped me along the way. I want to do it for those guys, show I am mentally strong enough to come through the other side.

“I want to prove to my kids so that when they get older they can see that I took time off and managed to come back and be a bigger star than I was before.

The club told me to take the time off and to come back and start again. That’s what I’m trying to do.

“The manager came to me and said that it’s a clean slate this season and to show everyone what I’m all about and to get to many best.

“The more minutes I get under my belt the more match sharp I will become. Training wise it has been very good. The games are going to come thick and fast if we get through this tie.

“We will be back to playing three games a week. The match sharpness will come, definitely.”

Griffiths is also keen to get his Scotland career back on track but hasn’t spoken to new boss Steve Clarke yet. He said: “My ‘phone is open if he wants to speak to me and, if not, then I’ll try and work my way back into the Scotland squad by grafting away and scoring goals.

“I can only be involved in them if I’m training and playing well here. If Steve wants to call the gaffer to find out how I’m doing then by all means do that. Hopefully, though, I’ll have had enough game time by the time the squad’s announce at the end of next month.”

17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Love Griff. Ballsy as * for anyone to discuss their own mental health issues, especially with a public profile in a ruthless sport.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LEIGH Griffiths has thanked Celtic for helping him through his mental health struggles, and he urged others facing similar challenges to speak up and seek help.

The Hoops striker marked his return to competitive football last week in Celtic’s 2-1 win against FK Sarajevo as Neil Lennon’s side progressed into the second qualifying round of the Champions League.

Griffiths’ second half substitute appearance was his first competitive involvement since December 8, 2018 and he received a moving welcome from the fans inside Paradise.

Speaking to the media at Lennoxtown this week, the Celtic striker touched on his journey back to playing and the help he has received to reach that point.

“It was very hard being away, and very lonely at times,” he said. “Without the help of the club and support of friends and family I wouldn’t be sitting here now. It’s a massive thank you to them. It’s been a long and difficult road but thankfully there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

“It was a slow drip that was building up. Brendan Rodgers saw that and that’s when he stepped in. I owe a thank you to him. If he never stepped in, who knows where I’d have been. I’m trying to look forward now, be positive and get more games under my belt.

“When Neil Lennon got the job it was a big relief for me, because here was someone who’s been through it himself. If I had to turn to someone for advice, ask questions or just talk to someone, he’d be the man I’d go to.

“I needed to speak to someone and he was the one to do it. He said this season was a clean slate, and to go and show everyone that I could still be a top player, and that’s what I intend to so.”

Now that he is back playing, maintaining good mental health remains a focus for Griffiths, and the 28-year-old urged others to also seek help in times of need.

“Going forward I need to be a bit more open, not keep stuff in and just speak to people, regardless of who it is, team-mates, coaches, PR people," he said. "If I’ve got something on my mind say it because, ultimately, I could be back in the same place and I don’t want to be there.

“Anyone who’s suffering and they want to speak to someone then they should open up because there are people out there who can help.”

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Literally, like a new Signing.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member