1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don’t remember broony confirming he will retire at end of current deal! Anyway what a way to finish if that’s the case 10 in a row and a quintet of trebles!

2. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Those comments from Lennon make me a bit worried to be honest. No one should be guaranteed a game in the team.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hes going to have to be rested a bit more often.

I dont think theres a need to play him in home games against the poorer sides in the league, for instance.

As crucial as he is if anything it will stifle the growth of others.

I also dont think theres as much of a need for a holding midfielder in such games.

4. Diamond D

I trust Lennon's assessment , if Brown is fit enough and play 90 minutes then his reading of tha game can't be undervalued.

5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think Lenny's comments look out of context because he's talking about a fully fit Broony and for that to happen of course he'll need rest.

I would want Lenny to pick a fully fit Broony every game cause what he says everyone knows to be true, Broony is a naturally exceptional player, captain and leader.

It's already been mentioned but over the next two years we definitely have to get the team/new player ready for Broony's retirement cause that's going to affect us massively.

How incredible it would be if he led us to 10 before bowing out.

6. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

As much as his fitness etc is great to hear...

We seriously shouldn't need to be as reliant on our 34 year captain to dictate the tempo and how we conduct ourselves in games.

7. robbo1888

Brown has been a fantastic captain for us. He turned out to be a great signing, and whilst he's had his ups and downs with form, he's been as loyal to Celtic as they come. At 34, his experience means he still has a big part to play in the team - but not necessarily as a starter. In my opinion, he should be a bench player who can provide a bit of passion, or even a settling down influence when needed. I dont want to slate the guy, but he's far from being first name on the team sheet.

8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Of course Lenny hopes he can use him all season long; they'll be watching his numbers carefully, though. If later it turns out we need to rest him for some of the weaker SPL teams, I'm sure Lenny will do so.

Personally, I suspect that will end up being the case and he will be managed. Whatever his numbers say right now, our seasons are gruelling these days, he's 34 and it's too important he be available for the big games. Frankly speaking, I genuinely feel I can see him already managing himself in games. There are different kinds of fatigue. He can still run like a deer all day long, but it's the acceleration that's key (think Lustig here) and I think he is sprinting a lot less often than he used to.

I'm obviously no expert, but to me that looks like he is managing himself in games to ensure the acceleration is there at key moments when he needs it.

Lilac Wine and Diamond D like this.
  9. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I genuinely bet he's the second, though: right after McGregor.

10. oh bhoy

Lennon talks an awful lot of * the best football we played last season was when brown was out injured.McGregor and Christie were immense so I don't know what he's worried about,in fact He should starting that pairing a lot more this year.he s fond of sticking midfielders in defence should try brown at rb he done well there under deila

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's hardly surprising that our best football was played the only time all season that our two most important creative players (Rogic and Christie) were both fit. It doesn't mean we didn't miss Brown. In particular, I remember that LC final was starting to get away from us until Brown came on.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've said it for years now, even so last season to the point of Rodgers leaving, you could actually see when we dropped points and games by playing two DMs.

It's a complete waste of time in the domestic scene and too defensive for the qualifiers and whoever is the 3rd seeded team in the groups - Only against the big teams would I be okay with using two DMs, and even at that, it's depending on WHO we play in that position.

Brown+Bitton was a * disaster or a partnership under Deila. Brown and Ntcham barely worked as well with both sitting deep. Be that Ntcham is a lazy * or was told to play that role.

13. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Motm tonight, * up a cross in the 82nd minute with a high pass to Morgan, that was the one moment that curtailed a total 100% perfection match.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SB:It will be great for us to unveil the flag at Celtic Park again and for the families to come along."

SB on title defence: "That’s our aim. We’ve managed it the last eight seasons and it’s been fantastic so we need to push for this season the exact same as we have been doing all the way through.

SB: "We look forward to that challenge and the main aim for us is to start the league well and that to get into the
    @ChampionsLeague
    as well

SB on step up from pre-season: "I think we’ve shown in our games so far that we’ve started really well. We’re looking forward to starting this season with the new faces that have came in."

SB on CFR Cluj in #UCL: "It’s going to be a huge step up for us. Us going away for is certainly going to help. You never know what can happen in European games. We’ll understand how they’ll play and be ready for the test."

SB: "St. Johnstone have always been a hard team to break down and they’re always very organised with Tommy [Wright], he puts that into good use especially when they come to Celtic Park."

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Talk about bowing out on a high if that was the way he was to retire from playing.

Lilac Wine and Whoflungdung like this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT Brown admits he would have regretted missing chasing records with Celtic if he had moved his family to Australia.

The 34-year-old came close to joining Western Melbourne on a pre-contract in January but opted to stay at the Scottish champions for two more years in a bid to lead the club to what would be a historic ten league titles in a row.

Brown has 19 winners' medals from his 12 years at Celtic, and while life in the sun did appeal, he's delighted with his decision to add even more silverware to the collection.

Although he admitted: "It looks pretty warm down there. I’m not sure I would cope with the heat! You look at the pros and cons with these things. The pros at Celtic are winning trophies and being part of this team.

“I’ve been lucky to be at a fantastic club for so long. There’s also the the opportunity to go in at the start of a new club, build it up from nothing and go as far as you could. You look at that as well.

“At the end of the day I went with my heart more than anything.

“I’ve got so many friends at the club and it’s part of my every day life. If I went somewhere else I could be sitting in six months and thinking, ‘what have I done?’

“Yeah, it sounds lovely. The weather’s nice, there’s a golf course... actually, what was I thinking?!

Ask me again in December if I’ve made the right decision!

“But honestly, with everything going on here, winning eight in a row, going for nine, the place is buzzing. We’ll find out in a year if I’ve made the right choice but I believe I was right to go with my heart.

“It’s a special place to play football. You look at all the changes around the ground since I first came here.

“It’s incredible what the club’s done in the area, the foundation has done really well, there is Billy McNeill and Jimmy Johnstone statues out there. It all means so much to the fans to come up the Celtic way and see the legends on the flags.

“I don’t know about a Scott Brown stature – could you imagine what it would look like?!”

Celtic have eased through the first two Champions League qualifiers with far more ease than in recent seasons.

They scored 12 goals and conceded just once which has set them up for a more testing two games against Romanian champions Cluj.

Brown has been impressed with how new signing Christopher Jullien, Boli Bolingoli and Marian Shved have started and by how the team as a whole are playing.

He said: "We’ve started really well, we’ve had a good pre-season and the manager has had us pressing high up the park and got us as fit as possible in a short space of time so that we’re ready for the Champions League qualifiers and the start of the Premiership."

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Gotta laugh at the daily ranger.

"Scott Brown vows to silence Rangers title talk as Celtic skipper responds to Sheyi Ojo claim"

You could tell the scum journos were pushing for sensationalist patter. "Rangers Rangers Rangers, Ojo Ojo Ojo".
    Captain kept it cool. Responded to bullshit about sevco by only referencing OUR goals and what WE need to do this season.