1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

2. wulliebad

* sake we will have no numbers left.:40:

3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That sums it up for me. We won't half miss him, though.

I didn't know that. Mental.

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Should retire policemens hats.

5. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    That's mental eh!
    Im really missing him all ready...Great personality to have around the dressing room by the sound of things.

Rydo1888*, bagforlife and Liam Scales like this.
  6. y_n_w_a

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Paul McStay,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Y N W A
    If you could take all the good moments he has given to the fans and pour it into your favourite tumbler, you'd be happy for years! Legend does get thrown about sometimes but this man deserves the status. It's going to be very strange not seeing him around. I for one will sorely miss him. :74:

bagforlife likes this.
  7. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Should of kept him for back up . Cant understand getting rid of him ( unless we have a quality rb about to sign ) but keep the wage stealer Compper

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DEFENDER, Mikael Lustig is moving on to pastures new this close-season after eight silver-laden years with Celtic Football Club.

Fittingly, the 32-year-old’s last game in the Hoops was as a winner in the Scottish Cup final as he helped secure the Treble Treble in the final game of the 2018/19 season.

That was the last of the Swede’s 276 games in which he scored 21 goals – many of them crucial and memorable, such as the opener at Pittodrie at the start of May when Celtic clinched their eighth title in a row.

Those two final trophies closed the curtain on an amazing haul of medals won by Mika in the Hoops since he joined the club on a pre-contract in November 2011, before making his debut in March 2012.

Included in the right-back’s haul are three trebles and two doubles, delivered among eight league titles, four Scottish Cup medals and four League Cup wins for an amazing average of two medals per season.

He had also previously lifted two Norwegian titles and the Norwegian Super Cup with Rosenborg as well as 75 international caps with Sweden

Mika’s goal and victory celebrations in the Hoops were also the stuff of legend – the beach ball, the police hat, the hot water bottle, the keyboard player and the ripped Celtic top are truly iconic images in recent Celtic history.

Manager Neil Lennon, who brought Lustig to Celtic said: “I was delighted to bring Mika to Celtic and he has been phenomenal for me and the club.

“Mika has chosen to move elsewhere, but that is absolutely his right, these things happen, but it will not in any way take away from what he has achieved at Celtic.

“I wish Mika nothing but success for the future, he has been a brilliant servant to the club and has made a massive contribution to everything we have achieved across so many years. It has been a privilege to work with Mika. A top international player, he always gave everything for the team, he gave his heart and soul to every performance and I loved having him on my side.

“I am sure he will go on and continue to enjoy a really successful career, and myself and everyone at the club wish Mika and his family nothing but success for the future.”

The manager’s sentiments were echoed by Celtic Chief Executive, Peter Lawwell who said: “Mika has been a huge part of Celtic over so many years and I am sure all our fans, as well as thanking him, will wish him well in everything he does in the future.

“His appearances and trophy count at Celtic and the number of international caps he has achieved, demonstrate exactly the level of player Mika has been consistently over a long period of time.

“For Celtic he has been a real force, a highly-talented player who always fought for our cause. He has been crucial to so much of what we have achieved as a club.

“Everyone at the club sends their best wishes to both Mika and his family and we hope they enjoy a very successful future.

“As well as making a huge impression on the club over so many years since he joined, Mika leaves Celtic as a Treble Treble Champion, something he should always be immensely proud of.

“We thank Mika for everything.”

All at Celtic Football Club wish Mika and his family all the best in their future moves

Rydo1888*, bagforlife and Liam Scales like this.
  10. Momo Sylla

I'd say they're the complete opposite atm. Both declined rapidly due to holding onto players too long.

Spring Time and Liam Scales like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bayern? Maybe a while ago but not now.

They barely won the league this season and a massive part of that was because of how old and done their squad was.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Leaves as a treble treble winner, he'll always be loved by us

14. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Good to see him go out on a high instead of staying on and watching his reputation crumble .
    Many thanks Mika .

trackebhoy and bagforlife like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's been pretty tough lately. We should move and it came a little like a shock. It has been so much harder and harder than I thought it would be. In this life it can swing fast. But we've been in Glasgow for 7.5 years so it feels very tough to have to leave. Didn't get that long to digest it either. I cried every day for a week after I found out. I feel completely exhausted. It has really taken on the forces.

Glasgow has given me so much. It really has been a trip. We were so young when we moved to Glasgow. I look forward to our new adventure as a little older, with more experience of life. I'm so grateful for everything that Glasgow has given us.

https://josefinlustig.com/2019/06/19/time-for-a-new-chapter-in-life/

16. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

His wife is not only beautiful on the outside but inside as well, they look like such a lovely family I love that :50:

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Heartfelt. I know sod all about his Mrs but it just further shows how much Lustig got it, as a Celt.

bagforlife likes this.
  18. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Players come and go that is the nature of the beast so to speak. But there are not many players who have come to Celtic especially from outside who so got what Celtic is as a club and who so completely bought into Celtic. Lustig will always be a Celt and will always and deservedly so be worthy of a standing ovation anytime he does come back to Celtic Park to visit.
    Thanks for all the memories a Celt for life. :62:

bagforlife likes this.
  20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

What an absolute icon. He's been a brilliant player for Celtic over the years and has been a key part of 8 in a row and the Treble Treble. Am I right in thinking that we've only one twice away from home in the Champions League (Spartak & Anderlecht), and that Lustig was a part of both of those?

A massive player who has given us so many iconic moments in a Celtic shirt. He had his critics in the last few years, but will go down as a terrific signing.

All the best, Mika :shamrock::shamrock::shamrock:

bagforlife likes this.