1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song

There's been just as many goals from the left or down the middle. It's just peoples bias against Lustig that makes the goals from the right stand out more.

Think we'll struggle to replace him tbh. The guy is top class, his record speaks for itself. That Toljan lasted 2 games or something before we realised what a downgrade he was on Mika.

2. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    This sums it up for me

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That's not true mate, certainly not when Tierney is in there. Teams target us when Lustig is in there. Bang average players have given him a torrid time over the last 2 or 3 seasons. Barrie McKay turned him inside out, Kent has roasted him a few times, he was heading for the advertising board while he was cutting it back to Jack...Barker at Hibs, Jordan Jones. All 3 of AEK's goals came down the right side.

The guy has been an outstanding servant to us and has certainly had his fair share of good performances in there too but we require better going forward.

Dazza, Keano88, Jeannie960 and 4 others like this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't agree mate..

It's clear as day he struggles defensively and for a long time now. People also talk about how he can play CB, his positional awareness his pish in that position.

He provided good balance and experience especially when we are dominating position, allowing KT to bomb down the right but a Celtic full back should be able to get up and down, Lustig hasn't been able to do that for a long time.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  5. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Best Right Back in my time for us! His best days are clearly behind him though so need a quality replacement. Would like to keep a hold of him for cover however!

eire4 likes this.
  6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Personally I think that's only been true for about a season and a half or perhaps two. I certainly don't agree with the 3 that I keep seeing quoted. I remember him being outstanding in Rodgers' first season, including in Europe.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Watch a rerun of the 2-1 game at Ibrox on the 31st December 2016. He was run ragged by McKay that day. It was painful to watch.

8. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Time for him to move on and for us to get a good replacement in. Hes been a great servant to the club. But hes too much a liability now, his legs are gone and we cant afford to carry passengers going into the next 2 seasons.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Stephen O’Donnell (Scottish international) :fear:
    Tony Ralston (mole)

Next season as our full backs.....

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ah, perhaps I was a bit overconfident about that. I certainly take your point on board.

Still, leaving aside my earlier overconfidence in my own opinion, I would still argue that it seems to me to be only a year and a half or so that he has been consistently a bit of a weak link (and only really this season he has been a really obvious weak link). I can't remember the circumstances surrounding the run up to that game you mention, but Lustig has always been one who needs to be 100% fit. At any rate I remember him in general having an excellent season that year, including an outstanding performance against Manchester City at CP.

If I can be allowed a comparison, Scott Brown has had some bad games in the past (when carrying an injury or whatever) and many times has been declared by some to be past it. The fact that these games are not now retrospectively seen as evidence he was done back then is purely down to the fact that he has always come back to prove the doubters wrong. One day in the next couple of seasons, the doubters will be right and I think we may well find the same doubters looking back to those bad games earlier this season as evidence that Broony was already done this season. They will be wrong.

I would genuinely caution against projecting the fact that Lustig is clearly not good enough to be our first choice RB anymore now onto a handful of bad performances 2 and a half years ago that might have had any number of underlying reasons.

Having said that, I'm just saying how it seems to me. I respect your opinion and I know I could be wrong. I realise my earlier post was a bit cocky.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  11. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Sad to see him go, but maybe the right time for him to leave. Would have kept him as back-up for a season, though.

I'll be interested to see what we do to replace him.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Now hes leaving everyones saying "I'd keep him as backup"

Well naw, cant change yer mind now. For the entire season this threads talked about how we need to ship him out, hes finished, so quit with the good memories back tracking, time to improve.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

He has been the life and soul of the Celtic party for the last eight years.

Now the Swede dream could be over.

Earlier this week Mikael Lustigrevealed his Celtic career could be at an end after claiming the Parkhead club could have handled his contract situation better.

The Swedish international defender has so far failed to agree new terms and hinted he could soon be on the move after he posted a ‘highlights’ video of his time at Celtic Park on social media.

He also admitted he is assessing his options as a free agent with both AIK and Malmo reputedly keen.

Former Hoops defender Erik Sviatchenko insists Lustig’s place in Celtic folklore is already assured having helped the club to eight titles – including the treble Treble – four Scottish Cups, four League Cups... as well as a policeman’s hat, beach ball and a hot water bottle!

The Dane played alongside his Scandinavian counterpart and the duo formed a good defensive pairing during the Invincibles season under Brendan Rodgers in 2016/17.

Sviatchenko says Lustig loved a wind-up and his goal celebrations will be remembered fondly by the Hoops faithful.

The 27 year-old Midtjylland defender said: “Mikael has had an amazing period of success at Celtic.

“To win eight titles in a row is incredible. I was privileged to play alongside him as he is my fellow Scandinavian and we were partners during Brendan Rodgers’ Invincible season which will live long in the memory of the players as well as the Celtic supporters.

Mikael has done well to stay at a club like Celtic for such a lengthy period of time and he kept his levels very high. He gave the club so much and captained the side many times.

“It is rare for any player to stay beyond five years with the same team in modern football.

“Mikael is one of many Scandinavians who have joined Celtic and just developed a love and affinity for the club.

“The likes of Henrik Larsson, Marc Rieper, Johan Mjallby, Thomas Gravesen, Mikael and myself have all loved our time at Celtic.

We all had a great time off the pitch as you thrive on the city and the club

People take care of you and the love and support you get from the fans in Glasgow, as well as the fact you are playing with a team that regularly wins trophies and competes at the highest level in Europe,
    is wonderful.

“What Mikael has achieved with Celtic is amazing. He won so many trophies but the Celtic fans will also remember Lustig fondly for his goal celebrations and sense of fun.

“He really was the life and soul of the party in the Celtic dressing room.

“He was a fun guy and did crazy things on a night out.

“Mikael was the guy who encouraged the players to enjoy themselves.

“The policeman’s hat celebration and when he wore the beach ball on his head after Celtic scored against Rangers was just typical of Mikael.

“People said putting the policeman’s hat on was a step too far but I never saw it that way.

“I saw the TV pictures and I couldn’t stop laughing as I thought it was amazing.

He also had me in a state when he was photographed with a hot water bottle on his head. Mikael just did these stupid things for a laugh.

“It was also a fantastic moment when Mikael scored the last goal against Rangers in the 5-1 game at Ibrox and lifted the shirt over his head and started clowning around with the Celtic supporters.

“If Mikael does call time on his Celtic career then he will do so with a heavy heart.

“Celtic is just a magical place to be and it is a great club to play football for.”

However, the Dane insists that despite his popularity in Paradise, Lustig will always have to settle for being ranked as the second best Swede to have ever graced the Hoops.

The man affectionately known as the ‘King of Kings’ holds that personal accolade.

Sviatchenko said: “For all he has achieved at the club Mikael will still be
    remembered as the second best ever Swede to have played for Celtic. We all know who the No.1 is.

Ironically even though we are both Scandinavian, I couldn’t make out a word of Mikael’s Swedish.

“I know some Swedish but Mikael’s dialect was different.”

Moore likes this.
  14. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    I liked the big Dane! Nice words there from him too

PC Lustig will be missed, sounds like he was great to have around in the dressing room!

15. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    You do realise he's Swedish right?

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think he means Erik.

Lupis likes this.
  17. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

He’s no Swedish!! He’s only 32...

Dusnae really work, that one...

Avatar Daizen, packybhoy and rkid like this.
  18. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Aye I was referring to Erik, would have made sense If I had actually quoted the previous post ha

Lilac Wine and Lupis like this.
  19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That does indeed make more sense now!

Moore likes this.
  20. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    When was it revealed his contract was handled badly?