1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons to be cheerful

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Spring Time, Jun 7, 2019.

Discuss Reasons to be cheerful in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Well despite the treble treble we’re in a much less positive state as a club now than in 2012. We’ve since seen the board * it multiple times by; hamstringing and thus chasing Lenny, hiring Ronny as his successor, getting it massively right but then also * Rodgers by pursuing muppets like Marvin but not McGinn, and now the latest debacles with offering Lenny the gig in the showers and having important documents being leaked.

In 2012 I thought we were one of the best ran clubs in Europe, pound for pound, with an excellent young team and manager. Now it kinda looks like we’ve been very lucky with our domestic situation and the board scramble from one day to the next with no serious long term plan.

Gully Sands, DoTheBroony and The IRA like this.
  2. Murph-E

Dembele and Okoflex. Really hopeful one or both will break through this season.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with some of that but Marvin was Congerton's recommendation and Rodgers put him in place. Compper wasn't foisted upon him against his will. He thanked the board after that January window and said he "got everything he wanted".

4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Br wanted marvellous marv.

You think we have been very lucky with our domestic situation????
    You need to lay off whatever * you’re on.

5. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    At the risk of downplaying our domestic success, yes we clearly have been fortunate that our biggest historical rivals committed suicide, thus giving us free access to the country’s sole Champions League place and meaning we have literally 70+ million pounds more than every other club in our division. We are in a globally unparalleled position of utter dominance, a good deal of which is down to luck and it’s churlish to state otherwise.

Rodgers was an utter donkey defensively, both in tactics and signings/scouting. However I feel if the board had bothered to sign a defender last summer (or before) when we were a) desperate, b) knew Boyata was going and c) flush with cash we wouldn’t have had to scramble last second to Congerton’s flop list. I simply fail to believe Compper could have been Brendan’s first choice centre back target, even accounting for his lack of intelligence with the defence.

Rodgers most certainly did not get everything he wanted, McGinn just for starters, but he could hardly come out and publically say ‘Lawwell failed me’.

6. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

You obviously didn't take heed of my fourth line.

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Compper was signed in the January window prior to last summer. He was Congerton and Rodgers choice for mitigating against Boyata leaving. He then proceeded to play 83 minutes of football.

I'm critical of the board but that's not on them. Rodgers is just hopeless at spotting a defender.as evidenced by the other CB he signed that window, Jack Hendry.

JML67 and Spring Time like this.
  8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rodgers was/is terrible when it comes to defence and that 2012 season was pretty amazing but I can't help thinking it must be mostly the same board so if we were well run then what could they possibly have done to change this?

Hate to keep referring to him but Rodgers wasn't perfect in the transfer market so maybe the board don't want to open the cheque book so freely? Like Moyes when he went to Utd a massive club with massive overdraft, he signed some *.

We don't have the luxury of an overdraft that allows us to write off signings.

Definitely agree with you when it comes to the shambles that ended up with the board panicking and giving Ronny the job although he did do what we expected of a rookie manager.

On the flip side (ffs have to keep coming back to him) Rodgers took over basically the same squad and we became Invincible. I'm trying to say we were well equipped so that can't mean the board are negligent in the extreme.

Also, said this in another thread, the new modern training facilities beside us, that's long term planning from the board so it shows they do have our best interests at heart.

Are they perfect, not a chance but I dunno who would be on our budget, near enough every team that is successful in Europe has a load of funds.

Still can't see why you think we have been lucky in our recent dominance. 8iar and a Treble Treble, no team can be that lucky.

The thing is, our current squad is already miles ahead of everyone in the SPFL, how ambitious the board are when it comes to Europe must be a difficult thing to judge considering our budget.

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Drake doesnt support us.

Blochairnbhoy and Gully Sands like this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Who would have thought, having to make a thread to say positives as though we have just lost the league or something. Never would you have thought people would be so negative after a treble treble :56: * when the day finally comes and we loose a league, its inevitable, the reaction will crash this site for weeks.

MON THE QAUDTREBLE

11. leeso-ardoyne

Ya took the words from my mouth! Swear to *, some Celtic men are off their * heads! Just won the treble treble, 8IAR! And here we have our supporters moaning like spoilt *! Leave that * for another day ffs. Just sit back and enjoy every minute of these times because once there gone, we won't be having it so good again.

12. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Quadratreble rolls off the tongue & sounds better. :34:

bagforlife likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Sounds like a bad guy from batman :56:

Spring Time likes this.
  14. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Does sound good though

15. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Its mostly borne out of sheer frustration.

Frustration that we are in the greatest period of domestic domination in half a century and rather than building on it, or at least striving to maintain it, our board seems determined to play russian roulette with it.

We have been criminally underepresrnted in the transfer market for 2 seasons, neglected key areas of the squad, underfunded successive managers and all while stockpiled millions in player sales and invested profits in club infastructure instead of on field personel.

When supporters (like myself) gripe, its usually because we are fully aware that this is the greatest opportunity that WILL EVER be afforded to us to complete not only an historic 10, but well beyond that.

Yes I agree, we will lose the league. But that should be because a team rose to challenge us, not because we stooped low to show them our chin.

Treble trebles are all fine and dandy (i personally dont give a * about cups tbh) but 10 in a row will not only go down in the annals of footballing history, it will mean the utter and complete destruction of sevco.

Given what we are trying to accomplish, the next title is more important than last. Its time ALL of our supporters started to see that.

martin_d, freitassen, Peej and 2 others like this.
  16. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Precisely this x10000. Older fans seem to think we're acting spoiled - we are spoiled of course by the sheer amount of trophies but we're the only club in a one team league and need to strengthen while ahead.

The board seem desperate to level the playing field. Best position we'll arguably ever be in yet the leaders of the club show a brutal lack of ambition.

martin_d likes this.
  17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

1) Jimmy Bell's signing on in the morning

That's all I got right now

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

So we’re right then.

19. AwesomeCaz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    So, as self confessed old fogie, you're happy with the club? Simple answer please, no wriggling.

20. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

I’m happy that our club have won the last 9 domestic trophies on the spin.

I expect a simple answer from you.
    Aren’t you?

I was replying to the contradiction in your post regarding being spoiled.

There’s always room for improvement & investment imho.