1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Jun 8, 2019.

Discuss Kieran Tierney v Andy Robertson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MattD

Until Tierney does it against the likes of Barcelona, Bayern, Man City, etc then it has to go to Robertson.

Completely irrelevant where both players were a couple of years ago (Tierney being the better player), but the rapid rise of Robertson is just unprecedented. Genuine world class performances against the world best teams - until Tierney gets that chance, there’s no point in comparing.

2. celtic warrior

Peak KT adds an entirely new attacking dimension to Liverpool.

He's been off the boil this season due to injuries but he has an underrated skill on the ball that would make Liverpool even more threatening and by Robertson age would be heralded as a world class left back

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Robertson at the moment, he’s had an amazing season KT has been great but injuries and not being fully fit.

I think if KT get fully fit he will be a great player but he is not playing in massive champions league games ext.

Both are incredible.

4. SkyeCelt

If Robertson had developed a bit earlier then he might not have been released and could potentially have been our left back now
    ...it's a sliding doors moment.

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

After this season I’d say Robertson, especially in the final 3rd, his crossing is sensational. KT is definitely by far a better defender and quicker but Robertson is a level above on the ball.

6. freitassen

Considering how good Robertson is, and how bad O'Donnell is, perhaps Gordon Strachan wasn't that wrong in experimenting with Tierney in the right.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I hate KT at right back. He doesn't have a right foot. Looks so awkward at right back.....even though he can do a competent job, moreso than even the natural right backs in the squad..

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The answer to fitting both them in is playing them both on the left. They have to at least try it. Means there’s natural cover when overlapping and Fraser can either switch wing or play behind a striker.

9. Damnati

I think it's changed days even from when Henrik was playing. We get less credit than ever. Also, Henrik did move on and proved he could do it at two big clubs. I don't think he'd have the same recognition if he hadn't done that.

It grates on me a little that Robertson is so lauded when really I don't think there's a big gap between them. Obviously I don't want Tierney to leave, hope he's a one club man. It would annoy me to ever have EPL fan boys deny his talents but ultimately, * them.

celtic warrior likes this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I find it incredible we are coming in to our third era managerial wise and we still haven't at the very least given this a try..

It's mental..

11. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I dont think theres a solution with KT on the left.

The KT LCB and Robbo LWB has been tried and didnt work. They just ended up running into the same spaces. Maybe with Clarke in now KT could be better in the LCB role though.

KT left back with Robbo Left wing and putting Fraser into the middle is a non starter. It puts 2 of the most effective players out of position. Moving a world class left back out position isn't an option. Fraser deserves his left wing spot too. Having a left side that dangerous benefits Forrest too with attention being taken away from him.

A disciplined LCB role in a 5 or back to RB are the options when he returns it seems.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Left centre half isn't anything like having the two on the left flank..

I reckon Clarke will put KT centre half some game's though..

He put Greg Taylor centre mid and he's a left back at time's and also played Dicker centre half when he's a centre mid so he does mix some up sometime..

PaulM1888 likes this.
  13. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, KT at LB and Robertson at left mid, with them overlapping is what i hve been expecting to see at some stage. I think injuries have played a part in it not happening earlier though.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    There's been loadsa time's it could've been used though..

Fraser at left wing has missed so many Scotland game's through injury and call offs it's unreal and KT has been thrown in at centre half and right back..

KT is the better defender but I'd go KT at left wing and Robertson left back purely because KT can beat a man from a standing position and has the strength to cope. Robertson is much better from a deeper position and crossing from deep..

Could have Fraser in the 10 position and Forrest right in that side..

15. celtic warrior

Robertson was deemed not good enough for us.

Case closed:fear:

16. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Nah Robertson is more dangerous around the box and KT is more solid defensively, so I would stick with my original plan.

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye on the overlap. So he'd still very overlapping KT and swinging them on around the box..

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Henrik was world class at Celtic, whilst Barca and United confirmed what we all knew his peak years were as a world class Celtic striker.

I completely disagree that we get less credit now, we’re actually only in the last decade getting the value from our players that we always should have; Aiden, Stan, Wanyama, VVD, Forster. If anything the likes of VVD going on and becoming the best defender in world football has shone a greater light on our players.

Nothing to stop KT proving himself in Europe with Celtic, a harder proving ground than anything in England.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That view is heavily skewed, Robertson is playing with world class players.

StPauli1916 and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. Damnati

I agree that we all knew it mate. Same with Van Dijk and to a lesser extent, Wanyama/Dembele. Also agree that clubs are starting to notice we're producing good players. I'm really just referring to your average EPL fan and even then it's probably more so just idiots on the internet. Best to be ignored.