1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

Thing is we haven’t replaced assets that have been sold or left since Armstrong, Roberts and Moussa.

The board will use bare minimum to get buy and pay themselves massive wages with added bonus as well.

They would rather do that then spend on the team.

We have never ever been in better financial health but that will only last so long if we continue not upgrading the playing staff.

stubhoy07 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cannot disagree with that!

bhoy81 likes this.
  3. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    It really * boils my * that Lawwell has come out and said about agents have said they represent x, y and z and don’t know how true it is!!!!

Really ya * * then ask about it investigate it, find out if it is true! This to me shows he does not give a flying * and has gone for the cheap option once again.

Scunnered * scunnered!

Edit - i can now imagine him like that with * player agents as well! No wonder we miss out on players most of the * time!

I need a * drink!!!!!

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

PETER LAWWELL has vowed treble-Treble history makers Celtic are in no mood to surrender their supremacy of Scottish football.

Celts are the first club here to win nine major trophies in a row.

Hoops fans are dreaming of 10-in-a-row titles, with Neil Lennon expected to be confirmed as boss this week.

Supremo Lawwell insists Celtic’s dominance will continue despite a planned major overhaul of the playing squad.

He said: “We still have a core of a lot of good players and we WON’T stand still. We want to make Celtic as best as it possibly can be.

“That’s our desire, it’s our need, and that’s what we’re going to do.

I think people are maybe over-estimating what we need to do or over-stating it.

“But we understand we need to be better, we need to be stronger, and that will be our intention in the summer.”

In recent times there have been whispers over Lawwell’s own future.

But he took time out from the Hoops’ latest Treble party to state: “I love it. I just want to keep going.

“What refreshes me is another new chapter under Neil Lennon. I’m refreshed, I’m fresh, I’ve got passion, I’ve got desire — and I look forward to the new chapter with Neil.”

Lawwell was adamant the Celtic board spoke to no one else about the manager’s job, even though plenty were keen to succeed Brendan Rodgers.

Rafa Benitez, Andre Villas-Boas, David Moyes and even Jose Mourinho were consistently linked with Celts, following the controversial exit of Rodgers to Leicester.

Lawwell admitted they were aware of MANY big names being interested.

He added: “It’s a fantastic job, an unbelievable club, a historic, traditional club.

“We had approaches from many agents, and many representatives of managers across the board.

“We put them in the file, just left it, and kept our word to Neil Lennon, really.”

On the swift post-final move to allay Lennon of any worries about his prospects, Lawwell said: “We had a mini board meeting after the final.

“Dermot Desmond, myself, the chairman and Tom Allison decided what to do.

“We knew Lenny was getting the job. We decided we should kill the speculation on a high.

“It was in the dressing room afterwards.

“We just felt we’d take our time, get to know each other again, and then make the right decision.

“Neil knows the club inside out, he knows what’s required.

He’s got the strength of character. He’s a great coach, and has a great eye for a player.

“He’s more experienced, he’s a little calmer, less emotional, he’s an intelligent guy.

“We hope that Neil’s not going to say No.”

Lennon’s expected to agree personal terms on a three-year deal, and also be handed a substantial transfer budget.

SunSport also understands Lenny will now make a determined pitch to get former talent-spotter John Park to return to Parkhead.

5. TimFloyd Gold Member

6. Murph-E

John Park would be good, but already the noise coming out of Lawwell seems he doesn't want to invest very much of vast amount of money we have. Self-hindering.

I expect loans, frees and compensation deals only this summer tbh.

7. oh bhoy

Many by big names interested just put in a file left it

Westlondonscot likes this.
  8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    £3.7m in prize money for winning the treble!

£120k for Scottish cup
    £260k for league cup
    £3.35m for the spfl

* joke!

Got over £8m basic for the EL group stage!

Scottish football bigwigs need shot!

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye ye know why as I said in another thread weeks ago they have the season ticket money and an extensive waiting list people won’t renew or knock back a ST cause how close we are to 9 and 10!

oh bhoy likes this.
  10. Murph-E

Haha. "He get back to you about the job application yet?", "nah Jose, said he's stuck it in a file and not looking at it".

oh bhoy likes this.
  11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A lot of that is very concerning.

Only thing I agree with to a certain extent is that the talk of a rebuild being needed is exaggerated. The squad needs an injection of quality, in a similar way to what it did when Rodgers first took over, but we don’t need to be going out and spending 10’s of millions to get where we want to be.

As much as I would like to see us spend that amount.

Rydo1888* and Liam Scales like this.
  12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not as a net figure but the gross could and probably should end up in the 10s if millions of the likes of Ntcham and Rogic are sold and we receive a percentage of a Dembele transfer.

We made a £19 million transfer surplus from last summer's activities, just trousered £9 million from the exit of Rodgers and his backroom team and £3 million+ for renting our stadium for the Pro14. It's about time some of that was spent on a squad that is dead on its feet and requires quality reinforcements/replacements.

I hope these comments from Lawwell don't preempt another summer like 2018, that was an absolutely farcical way to run a football club. If his comments are true of locking away managerial applications and speaking to no-one, why the * are we paying him his huge salary and bonus?

Perhaps a club restructuring at this point would potentially cause too much upheaval and jeopardise 10 in a row but beyond that I think we need to have an honest & open conversation about whether the aims of club are aided or hindered by the aims of the PLC.

Keano88 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't think we need a rebuild but he surelt has to realise we are going to require at least 5 or 6 first team quality players this window.

His comments are worrying and kind of go hand in hand with the appointment of Lennon. "Substantial transfer budget". Believe it when I see it.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace

I can’t see Lenny accepting the job if he’s not happy with the terms. It’s glaring that we’ve came out and said Lenny’s been offered the job - not accepted.

He won’t be hung out to dry, he won’t allow it. Big, big summer ahead.

5 or 6 first team quality players is a rebuild I’d say.

Gyp Rosetti and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  15. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    we don't need a mjor rebuild?
    he put job applicants on file and basically ignored them?

* Lawell, how can you openlya dmit you didnt do your job and get paid stupid money in bonuses, * this guy.

16. saltire78

Lads, what does anyone actually expect him to say?

1) the teams falling apart and needs completely overhauled! - morale crashes, anyone doubtful rushes out the door
    2) we need to move loads of players out, to make space! - transfer frenzy all through our qualification
    3) we're going to spend a wedge of cash on only quality players! - prices for players and wages explode

It's frustrating, but there's nothing but sound bites until at least next week... and rightly so... the team, coaches and backroom folk all deserve a well earned break

17. saltire78

Firstly, it's Scottish media, so serious pinch of salt with the context. Secondly, if he said anything else he'd undermine Lenny. Thirdly, none of us was in the best state for complex answers on Saturday, so I'm inclined to cut him a little slack if he mumbled something without engaging full PC mode. Just this once... :62::62::62:

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Option 2 and 3 together. We need to reconstruct our defense, and some players don't have future at the club.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. jamiebhoy67

So ma da got a hire on saturdsy and it turned out to be stevie woods he said they did try for rafa but he used us to get better deals at Newcastle and asked him about Moyes n he said hes good mates with Moyes and that it's well known he couldn't handle the pressure of being Celtic manager hes not cut out for that job.

Also said Arzani got put in a taxi in front of him he was tht mwi hahaha