1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Regardless of who anyone wanted as the next manager, Lennon has been given the job. I will back him fully and hope that he can bring home the 10 in a row we'd all love to see.

In his previous stint as manager he was very successful in bringing in good talent. This season will require a lot of purchases.

jj81 and Jeannie960 like this.
  2. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Even if he did go on to Rodgers like domestic success, coupled with progress in Europe, it wouldn't change the fact that as it stands right now, it's another backwards step.

Folk have every right to be disappointed in my opinion.

I'd have Lennon over a lot of the linked managers, Moyes being one, AVB probably another - Lennon is safer. But I really wanted another high end manager, a statement of intent.

3. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think the board will let him bring in quite a few. I think they know how important the 10 is to the fans.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Always say i want us to go backwards mate, back to a time where we didn’t get embarassed in Europe would be grand.

Folk can go * themselves as far as I’m concerned, Lenny’s a Celtic legend and the way some of our fans have been talking about him they can get themselves to *

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    “We were right to be snide at the time”

StPauli1916 likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    “Glad I was always one to back him up”

*checks post history*

bagforlife likes this.
  7. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He is mostly being judged on the end to the season but in reality the players were goosed and didn't have the energy to put in high tempo performances and really have been taking it easy domestically for about 18 months by this point after the excess and burnout from the Invincible season where they pushed themselves too hard.

A good thing about him is he does like a more solid player and it's defensively we need sorted the most.

Rodgers never really done the business defensively other than Benkovic. Compper lol, Izaguirre back, Hendry, Gamboa, Toljan also far too soft a player - he probably also thought Eboue and Ntcham were defensive when they're not which has left Brown to play too many games.

We need a new right-back and new centre-back or two and a defensive midfielder and Lennon has always been good in those positions, Lustig, Matthews, Wanyama, Van Dijk, K.Wilson, Ledley, Kayal etc

StPauli1916 and Saul Goodman like this.
  8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Agree with this, i trust Lenny to bring in players that will make a difference to the first team, not ones for the future or prospects, i also trust him to bring through and give a chance to more young players within our club.

Even the fact that young Dembele was on the bench for the cup final, i thought that was class and a nice gesture towards the wee man.

Zander likes this.
  9. HailHoopy

Was actually just thinking that hopefully the days of getting 12 goals past us over two games from PSG are gone. There was nothing worse than watching those games amd wondering just how many it would end up.

You're right it was embarrassing.

Liam Scales likes this.
  10. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Alot of wishful thinking on here about rebuilds.

Lennon was signed up to bring the wage bill down.

No new full backs will be bought, obviously as izzy has already iterated that lennon wants him to stay (which is * frightening) and the two american projects, gutman and perez will be wheeled out like new signings, with izzy and hayes for cover on the left and lustig getting an extention.

Likewise shev, bayo and griff will also be hailed as new arrivals.

Benkovic will return on another loan.

Maybe a loan striker and loan midfielder will be drafted in but it will still amount to * all.

This board have burned us far far too many times for me to have ANY hope that they will do anything other than * * the fans once again.

bhoy81 likes this.
  11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Thats always a difficult one though. I think if we play too defensive and 'rough' in Europe then we don't improve enough to be confident when playing teams around our own level.

So although Rodgers played more attacking football and took some big pumpings for it, overall we were probably better against smaller teams and teams around our own level than we were before.

To me the Rodgers way was the best, as most of the time we are going to get beat off the big teams anyway so you'd take more pumpings in exchange for being better at playing against lesser teams.

12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I didn’t want him, I was pretty vocal about it. But I did say if he got the job I’d back him. However I’m still * raging the way the board have gone about it.

bhoy81 likes this.
  13. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    People are going to back him, regardless if they wanted someone else.

I think some people are forgetting that, nothing wrong with wanting better for the club even if it means you didn’t want the man in charge as the manager.

It’s a massive summer of rebuilding ahead. Let’s see what happens with that and the coming season.

14. HailHoopy

I hear you mate. I was thinking and hoping that would be the case too, and then we got drawn with AEK Athens who were dire, and they knocked us out.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Pish.

Lennon was probably brought in because nobody of a better class was interested and it likely came down to guys like Moyes and Clark or Lennon.

We always spend about £8-12million per season as well so there will be enough money for 3/4 signings and we don't need to change the wage-bill, it's always kept managable.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    AEK Athens were a tricky one though, they were a very defensive team I think at the time when we played them they had only lost like 4 of their past 50 games and didn't concede a lot of goals.

They were a difficult team to break down but essentially they knocked us out because Lustig was done, they scored 3 very simple goals that Lustig could have stopped on his own.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They beat us cos we coodny * score against them mate

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Agree with this and i know it might not be what people want to hear or match their expectations but we have to be realistic about how we operate as a club, the League we play in and the financial constraints that dictate our spending ability.

I just hope we spend wisely and on the right areas of the team.

19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

The wages bill will go down considerably because of players being out of contract and also all of the money Rodgers brought in with his departure.

If anything we have more to spend on player wages including staff, as Lennon will be on next to nothing compared to what Rodgers was getting.

I expect us to spend around 10 million, there is no reason not to, but I expect us to sell and our next spend will be zero again.

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    True but Lustig badly * us, they should really never have scored against us. Lustig of 3/4 year ago would likely have stopped them even getting one goal.

I thought we outplayed them home and away but gifting them goals that one player could have stopped on his own put too much pressure on us. Obviously Boyata being out never helped us either.