1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Projected New Alabama Abortion Law

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by cidermaster, May 15, 2019.

Discuss The Projected New Alabama Abortion Law in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

That is incorrect.

2. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Just come in to say this. Well in. Yip, the good old south and it’s Ultra Christian values will see themselves as the moral Bastians of the US of A. States below the Mason Dixie line have never seen themselves as part of the American setup. Preferring to play things out their own way at their own darn pace. This is the perfect breeding ground for racists and religious zealots who as you rightly point out have a lot more in common with Isis than they would care to think. Backwards and corrupt from Virginia right down to Texas.

ChrisMoh and KRS-1888 like this.
  3. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I'm aware. Just pointing out the historical facts..
    Obviously, with the New Deal under Roosevelt and the eventual passage of the Civil Rights Act, under the Johnson admin, there was a great shift of support for both parties. Nixon openly sought the support of disaffected Dixiecrats, with his southern strategy.

4. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fair enough. So when, in your opinion, does a child become a child?

So there's no real relevance to the fact that the Democrats were the party of Jim Crow

5. clonbhoy

George Wallace was a Democrat. Strom Thurmond started off as a Democrat, before switching to the Republicans.He was a Democrat when he fathered a black child, something that only came to light after his death. Robert Byrd was in the KKK as a young man, Bill Clinton spoke at his funeral trying to justify it. His mentor was seen as William Fulbright, a Democratic senator and one of the signers of the 'Southern Manifesto' in 1966.
    Now, a lot of their dedication to segregation is open to debate, some argue that you had to be seen to be segregationist to get elected and get things done and use the fact that Thurmond, one of the best known segregationists in the senate, had a child with a black woman bears this out. I would be extremely sceptical of that, but one thing is for sure is that the Democrats were worse, not better than the Republicans on the issue. There is a history of both parties switching platforms making it a bit more complicated than it seems. It was only the Civil Rights Act in 1964 that changed how the South voted. Prior to that, the area was known as the Solid South for the consistency with which they voted Democrat.

6. clonbhoy

An awfully lot in Alabama, unless you are completely ignorant.

cidermaster likes this.
  7. Aidan O’Shea

Black babies are more at risk of abortion so this is helping them.

8. Aidan O’Shea

A heartbeat, for me.

trip2themoon likes this.
  9. clonbhoy

Which is why it is relevant. Rich, white men telling black women what to do. I am not sure I would have an abortion myself, but the odds of me getting pregnant are astronomical, but, as argumentative as I can be, I am not a fan of forcing my views on to people against their will.

10. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Won't allow abortions but it's ok to let kids shoot and kill other kids in school when they're a wee bit older?

Seriously though, it's a very dark move. To even have no exception for rape or incest is sickening. Imagine having to go through a whole pregnancy and birth after undergoing a seriously traumatic ordeal like that to begin with.

cidermaster likes this.
  11. angusceltic67

It's a sad reflection of today's society that calling for saving the lives of unborn children is seen a politically incorrect.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    So what about the tiny cells rights? This is a touchy subject, but what I will say is the late term abortions are horrendous imo. That is tantamount to murder of a human being.

13. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Yes I was having a similar discussion yesterday with a good friend. We agreed that late abortions are horrible,in fact evil unless it is a life or death situation.
    However nobody has the right to tell a woman not to have an abortion in what most decent people would consider a sensible timescale. Never mind victims of rape and sexual abuse ffs!
    All these do gooding goons saying that these women are murdering Humans,get to .uck. They want to murder a decent balance in human society and above all it is NOT your body or state of mind.
    We should all be concerned for the well being and welfare of the countless babies actually born.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As it stands, Roe v Wade essentially makes abortion legal until the end of the second trimester - roughly 24-25 weeks of 39 week full term. Which, whilst it is not perfect, does give the woman time to consider her options without it progressing to the latter stages of the pregnancy, as you've mentioned here.

It is this that, as I speculated in a previous post, these new laws are seeking to eventually be test cased in front of the Supreme Court. If that happens, even with all that has happened since that landmark judgement was passed in the early 70's, that the looming showdown could be the biggest battle for women's rights since the days of the suffragettes striving for the vote from a century ago.

Gyp Rosetti and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  15. Murph-E

Would you consider the pill to be murder? Maybe just assault?

16. angusceltic67

The pill prevents conception, nothing has been conceived to have an assault on, it's after conception I have a problem with, it's another life starting out and should have some sort of fundamental Human rights.

I would like to live in World where abortion was seen only as a last resort, where pregnant women are given support and proper advice on alternative options.

trip2themoon and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  17. Murph-E

I wasn't being serious :50:

It should 100% be legal. Ideally nobody would feelnthefneed to get one, but to tell somebody they have zero control over something growing inside their own body is ridiculous.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  18. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It should be set at 20 weeks as this is when the brain forms, up until then there is no consciousness. This law is just daft, to just completely ban abortion is insane. I read that an 11 year rape victim is now no longer able to have an abortion and is needing to go through with the pregnancy under this new law.

EDIT: I've just seen that the 11 year old case is in Ohio and not Alabama and they were using is as an example.

19. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's the thing about the vast majority of people who have the pro-life stance, they don't give a * once the baby is born. There is 0% aftercare and support by these people to the women, who most of the time can't support the baby. Once they're born the baby and the mother end up living in even worse poverty than before and negatively affecting society, or the baby just gets put up for adoption from birth and becomes another part of the system.

Valhalla likes this.
  20. angusceltic67

I think educating more women and giving them easy access to free medication for the prevention of conception would be the best way to go.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.