1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic’s next permanent manager

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 26, 2019.

Discuss Celtic’s next permanent manager in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Pretty sure Leeds had spent the 8th most in the league (and were the bookies 5th favourite to win before the season kicked off), so them finishing 3rd was still a good achievement even if they did choke at the end. Also if you think being a 'journeyman' is a downfall then you will also have to say Benitez is one considering they've both managed the same amount of clubs.

Apart from Benitez and AVB, who is a better option that Biesla? please don't say Moyes

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. jamiebhoy67

I'm a big fan of Eddie Howe and I think Steve Clark should seriously be considered his kilmarnock team played some of the best football I've seen from a Scottish side at Celtic they carved us open about 3 or 4 times in the first half alone they could have been 2 or 3 up it actually shocked me how well they played that day was really impressed.

I would throw the cheque book to get rafa hes tried tested and has won the European cup.

And that Spanish boy Middlesbrough had karanka ?? He is a very decent option.

Also a shout from the outside would be Arsene Wenger his style and philosophy of buying cheap selling high working to a budget suits our board to a t

3. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Christ alive, imagine calling Rafa a journeyman manager.

4. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Clarke is about to be announced as Scotland manager

5. jamiebhoy67

Well that rules him out but at least Scotland will get to a tourny now

6. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    the hard thing that makes me cant believe the raffa thing is that hes meeting with ashley and co the now , so if that goes well he wont be here and you can only assume it will as hes not asking for a lot , just that he wants backed in the market ( hopefully goes * up )

7. Mr Diggler

Bielsa is a maniac and his teams play like him- totally unpredictable. Could score 5 and concede 6. Would be brilliant to see him hiding in the bushes whilst spying on the tactics Tommy Wright might employ though to be fair.

8. Mr Diggler

I have a feeling the Rafa 'leaks' about joining Celtic are being used to leverage Ashley into backing him in the transfer market. I would be astounded if he came to us.

9. celts67

10. shaunbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    tbh ive not saw anything in the press or that thats credible , its more so just rumors within celtic fans forums/twitter /group chats etc

but also be shcoked if it happnes....its good to get excited i suppose

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Rafa would be too good to be true, Newcastle (Ashley) would be mental to let him leave. If they give him the backing they could easily break into the top 8 of that league. As much as I want him, I can't see it.

Our only hope is he's sick of being called a fat cockney * by 50,000 every week and wants to GIRU the geordies before he sells :giggle1:

12. Mr. Slippyfist

See, the thing here is....

Ashley can probably offer him almost double what we can in wages.

AShley will probably offer him....say....£25/30m in transfer funds.

His remit will be most likely a top-half finish, at best.

We can offer him the same as what Rodgers was on (if not a little bit more) - roughly £40k p/w

We can offere him about £15-20m in transfer funds.

He would be available to secure league titles, domestic cup wins, european/Champions League qualification, chance to be part of making history.

A chance to get one over on a wee lick-spittle * who has slammed Benitez in the press in past years (Aye, you Slipp G).

The choice is hopefully his...

Seán Mac D and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  13. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

All valid points mate, I think with TV money and the size of Newcastle they could lay out £40-70m in transfers though really. That's if Ashley wants them to go to the next level, but he might just want to continue turning a profit.

We'll see, I'm more hopeful than confident as far as Rafa to Celtic is concerned.

14. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Only Middlesbrough and Sheffield United conceded less than Leeds all season.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Would love Gallardo here.

17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Rafa, Bielsa, Rose or Clarke for me, in that order.

I still love Lenny, and I would be happy to have him back at some stage, but I don’t think the time is right for him. The first time, he came in when we were in disarray, rebuilt the side and ‘brought the thunder back’, but at this time, when we’ve been on the front foot for so long, we need something different.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  18. Jeremie Frimpong

@Mr Shelby mentioned Jorge Jesus, formerly of SL Benfica and Sporting CP. He'd be a great appointment, and he's available.

Tommy25, rickyroma25 and Valhalla like this.
  19. Mr. Slippyfist

What Newcastle would be able to give him would be on scale of what.....say....Hamilton would spend in the SPL.

What we would be able to give him would be on scale with what a Man City or Chelsea etc could offer him.

Only if he moves into this league of course, but it's not all about money for us, whether it is for others though remains to be seen.

20. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If Rafa has a problem with Newcastles transfer budget I'd love to see his face if he is in talks with PL and gets told ours.

Xatraps, shaunbhoy67 and clonbhoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.