1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Onefootwonder

There was nothing technically wrong to remind the youngsters that we were * in the 90s. However, it's completely irrelevant statement due to circumstances.

It's a desperate comment and is only going to further harm his support for the job.

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Rodgers last 18 months at Celtic was pish too tbh!

clonbhoy and johnfife1959 like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Hardly desperate * sake.

4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48294258

Hopefully, he knows that he is no longer in contention for the job and is trying to save face.

The IRA likes this.
  6. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Yeah i dont know if i would say pish, there was evidently issues that arose and affected us. It did gradually decline, but even his second season, to lose only four games was quite remarkable.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It dosen't matter what Lenny's says, he won't be gettin the Celtic job.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON hit back at Celtic’s ‘new breed of fans’ as he launched a robust defence of his credentials for the job.

Hoops legend Lenny is just one game away from leading the club to an unprecedented treble Treble.

But fans are split on whether the Northern Irishman is the right man to succeed Brendan Rodgers on a permanent basis.

High-profile names including Rafa Benitez, Chris Hughton and Roberto Martinez have all been linked with the role.

But Lennon – who served Celts for more than a decade as player and manager – insists his CV is as good as any of the other contenders.

He said: “There is no evidence to suggest I can’t take the job on.

“I have been here since 2000 and in that time Celtic have won 14 league titles and I have played a part in ten of them.

“So I think I know how to win titles here.

“I think that gets overlooked. If we win the cup that will be my seventh cup and any time we lost the league that I have been involved in it was on the last day of the season.

“I think there is a new breed of supporters, here or elsewhere. Since 20 years ago the only thing they have seen is success.

“They don’t remember the 1990s as the older generation do. I can’t take it for granted, they might. That comes from an immaturity from their point of view.”

He added: “I never said I wanted [the manager’s job] long-term. My contract here expires at the end of May and after the cup final I’ll sit down with whoever, and that’s always been the case

Nothing has changed, despite all the speculation, whether I’m getting the job, whether it’s Rafa Benitez, Jose Mourinho, Slaven Bilic, or whoever.

“As far as I’m aware, the club aren’t speaking to anybody until after the final. I’m in a strong position anyway.

“I’ve got the big one out the way and now the cup is very, very important. Not for me, but for the players.”

The manner of last weekend’s 2-0 defeat against Rangers has sent alarm bells ringing among a section of the Celtic support.

The Scottish champions appeared to be on holiday mode as Steven Gerrard’s side cruised to back-to-back Old Firm wins at Ibrox.

But Lennon insists there has been a massive overreaction to the result and dismissed Celts have stumbled their way to the title.

He said: “There has to be perspective, the players have been brilliant. At times, they’re not going to play well.

“We didn’t stutter over the line at all, the league was won two weeks ago.

In modern-day football, there’s a furore after one result.

“We played with the handbrake on on Sunday, we didn’t play well, but it’s in no way terminal.

“There‘s still so much to look forward to.”

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Does he bring it on himself then?

StPauli1916 and Mince.Charming like this.
  10. StevieBhoooy!

He makes a good case for himself to get the job while backing up with the ‘never said (he) I wanted the job long term’ bit.

The BBC sub-heading says ..

“Celtic manager Neil Lennon says he is in a "strong position" to remain in the post even if they fail to secure the treble treble.”

Can’t see that in the piece but whether it’s their (BBC) interpretation or not, I can’t quite see that scenario panning out.

11. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Of course our fans are spoiled. Does that mean we all just sit back and accept dross performances against bottom half teams and an utter pathetic display against our nearest rivals ?

Sounds like loser mentality.

12. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't like the way he's talking. He's trying to make out like the fans' concerns are illegitimate. If he can't see that the football has been poor then it absolutely is a lost cause. I hope the board have put a line through his name on the shortlist.

Mr. Slippyfist and The IRA like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Banging on about the 90s as if we didn't get papped out cups to Morton, Ross County twice, lose a cup final to Kilmarnock and * away a title while he was manager in the last decade think most fans are old enough to remember those.

15. Jeremie Frimpong

I, for one, make no apologies for having high expectations for Celtic. If the club wants to curtail supporters' demands, it can start by reducing its ticket prices.

16. joemc

Exactly the case here .

17. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It is a bit pathetic to mention the 90s. However, heavy criticism of the team when they're literally making footballing history is also a bit hysterical at times from our support..

Slaw likes this.
  18. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Canny believe we’ve finally got a Celtic Da in the dugout.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

I tell ye what, I'm all for people defending themselves, but * me what cretinous comments from Lennon :38:

I do think some of our fans are greetin-faced *, but to suggest all those moaning about whatever it is he's getting on about are all spoiled little * is ridiculous.

I've been watching fitba as long as Lennon's been involved in it professionally, and I've seen plenty of disappointments - funnily enough with Lennon at the helm!

Cheeky * better * dub his gub, and start defending the * he's put on the pitch, instead of going on the offensive about the legitimate grumbles OFF the park.

Cena likes this.
  20. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Lennon doesn’t like the “new breed of fans”. He doesn’t like the Green Brigade type fans as he stated the last time he was here.

What Celtic fans does he like then? The happy clappers?

Murph-E likes this.