1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who thinks the main problem isn't the manager or players but too many games?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, May 13, 2019.

Discuss Who thinks the main problem isn't the manager or players but too many games? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I actually mentioned them in my first post. So along with that and never saying we were unbeaten, I’m failing to see where your problem lies.

You’ve still not told me what you think our best run was either. Until then, I’ll stick with my opinion that the run after the winter break was our best. That’s including being beaten by Valencia.

2. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Just look at your avatar mate. The players yesterday were a * disgrace.

joemc likes this.
  3. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I haven't told you as you haven't specified the parameter's yet. How many games in a "best run" ? Which games count and which don't ?

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You’re making this a lot more complicated than it has to be, probably for the sake of an argument.

5. freitassen

Our squad is enormously bloated and on paper, we could form 2 or 3 match squads more than capable of beating Aberdeen and Kilmarnock. This is no excuse, our managers made an option of rotating the squad as little as possible, leaving certain positions criminally uncovered while pilling up midfielders, and we always had the money to buy players and the players themselves to what was a very predictable scenario.

But I agree we have a congested fixture list and the winter break was a bad idea. Steve Clarke these days said how is mental teams play 6,7 games in december, when the weather is at its worst, but now in the spring is one game per week, and you have a two week window without games if you didnt reach the cup semifinal.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  6. joemc

Yeh I totaly agree with you there , that is wot made me angry the lack of aggression and fight and it also made me react badly and fire in a few drink fuelled emotional posts regarding lenny , the truth is it probably woulda been the same under fraud .
    So as I said its human nature to become casual and do just enough once the prize is in the cabinet , it's a concern that we got caught the same way twice by them hence my 2nd reason, the loss of most of a great team with threats all through it ,it must bring things closer and that is something we have to acknowledge to push on to greater things again and see us rip them a new 1 again .

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That's not even including internationals. I suspect it is more mental tiredness than physical though. They don't get enough time away from football in the summer to completely switch off from it and just chill out. A couple of weeks then the training starts again, and before they know it they are straight back into some of our most stressful games of the season in the qualifiers.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    For me it isn't the number of games, it's having to rely on the same players all the time, players like CalMac, KT, Broony, they are knackered !

9. wulliebad

Nearly the same 11 every week,every time we drop/rest players the ones coming in are * and we struggle even more.....squad players spent to much time out of the first 11 then get thrown in and everyone expects.....last time i seen burke everyone was raving about him now he is *.:39:.....then there is weah:43:.....hardly used and eddy needed some help or rested.....at times this club is a * farce.

Whoflungdung and CH4 like this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They’re prime candidates for burnout.

Mince.Charming likes this.
  11. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Most of those teams only have one domestic cup competition.
    If we dropped the League Cup off we’d be well down that list.
    Also some of those teams got pumped out in European qualification (Ajax last season? Haven’t checked).
    There’s several variances and just slapping numbers down for x number of seasons is misleading.
    Having to play so many qualifiers is partly our own fault for being so * in past seasons in Europe.

12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I think people forget that professional athletes are just normal people with a talent and a high level of fitness. Doesnt mean they dont experience the same aches, pains, stress, mental and physical fatigue that the rest of us do. They're not robots.

That being said, that's why we need a big squad, and even though our schedule is ludicrously packed, the players, KT and Rogic being prime examples, have been mismanaged physically and that's down to management (and perhaps the player themselves).

I think fatigue definitely impacts our form. But it's only part of it, the manager, tactics and players themselves are probably a bigger factor than the scheduling

CH4 and Mince.Charming like this.
  13. Goggzy60

It definitely doesn't help we have always got people out with muscle injuries. Players like KT for example have been burned out for months it's been clear to see. It's also no surprise that after guys like Lustig had time out the first 11 they have came back better which proves the point. We actually have guys playing 50+ games a season with little to no recuperation time injuries will always happen.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Why is this even a debate?

Our best run of the season was clearly after the winter break. We won 11 domestic games in a row.

Yes we lost to Valencia, but that changes nothing. At no other point in the season have we been so dominant domestically.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  15. clonbhoy

Our best run of the season coincided with our easiest run of fixtures... Anyway, I was more impressed by our performances in October and November. When the * got it right, it was brilliant.

The problem is a mixture of the change of manager, the lack of uncertainty around the manager, the mismanagement of key players and our ineptitude in the transfer market, especially the determination to buy players without any fight in them.

I know the timing of the manager leaving was difficult , but it feels like we are making a complete mess of it. Maybe things are clearer behind the scenes, but from our point of view, with hindsight, it is a mess. Getting a short-term manager in has left everybody in a state of limbo, especially Lenny. I really feel sorry for him. I just hope it doesn't end up costing us the treble.

16. RockhardBoss

Player quality and depth of squad, for me.
    We should be able to rotate more, but we just don't have the quality and competition in the squad. We've been forced to play half fit players (Rogic, Tierney, Edouard) which is negatively affecting the team. They should be needing to get up to fitness, and then trying to force their way back into the team, because someone is doing a good job in front of them.

17. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ws thinking about this earlier and think that we should drop out of league cup AFTER we win 10IAR and the quintuple treble plus league cup in following season, 2021-2022. The reason being that at that point we will have equalled Deadco's trophy haul and from then on we will just increase our trophy haul gap over deadco.

18. Lecs

We've signed far too much * first and foremost.

We do have a lot of games, no doubt. But at the end of the day our ineptitude with regards to playing staff recruitment has been our biggest issue. We go in to games with serious central defense crises, no right backs available and we have actually signed international players in those * positions who are seemingly not good enough to even play. Gamboa and Compper for example.

Not every signing we make will be a success, I'm not daft to expect otherwise but we really need to get * smarter in who we buy. Buying substandard fringe players who can't be trusted to start in our important games is a * nonsense.

Sign players that can immediately impact and enhance our team, or players who can step in and be good enough to be trusted against * SPFL teams for * sake.

Then we can rotate as we please without any serious implication to our current/future progress and success.

19. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i think there is some truth in we play too many games but i think its more to do with playing the same players for almost all of these games i.e. we dont rest enough of our players because we dont have good enough backups or any reasonable backups e.g. LB and RB ..... we feel we cant leave brown or others out the team in some games because we would drop points so we end up starting all our main eleven all the time and maybe only rest them by substituting when we have sealed the points, and this season we havent had a no 9 scoring all our chances so a lot of the time we have been drawing games we should have won confortably or winning by the odd goal

this is more the issue that we dont have good enough backup players i believe

20. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    For me there is absolutely no question that fatigue is a major factor in the sub par performances we have seen at different points this season. It is that and combined with the fact that we rely on the same core players way too much. Tierney is the prime example he is where he is at because he was run into the ground until he broke down physically and that for me is the issue.

Make no mistake about it we may win a treble treble in 2 weeks time but whoever takes the job permanent whether its Neil Lennon or not has a massive task ahead of himself this summer. There is massive bloat in our squad and at the same time there is a major need of real quality to be added to our squad. I would also say that a factor this season added to fatigue has been up front the departure and lack of replacement for Dembele and the fact that Griffiths pretty much was out for most of the season. We have really struggled as a result. Edouard is a good player but Dembele is better and Griffithis if fully fit is a better goal threat. Edouard basically leading the line by himself is and was not good enough.