1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who thinks the main problem isn't the manager or players but too many games?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ILoveTheCeltic, May 13, 2019.

Discuss Who thinks the main problem isn't the manager or players but too many games? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Just win the Scottish Cup and get this season * finished, we have a massive summer ahead, because our squad for all its numbers is absolutely horse * out with our starting 11.

Mince.Charming and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    This is how we compare over the last few years to other European teams...

2015-end of this season

240 games - Celtic
    232 games - Man City
    231 games - Real Madrid
    228 games - PSG
    214 games - Salzburg
    213 games - Benfica
    212 games - Dinamo Zagreb
    206 games - Anderlecht
    204 games - Bayern Munich
    201 games - Ajax
    200 games - Besiktas
    176 games - Zenit

On average we play about 5-7 games a season more than English, French or Spanish European teams, 8-10 more than Austrian, Croatian and Portuguese, 10-12 more than German, Dutch, Belgian and Turkish and 12-14 more than Russian.

We also have much shorter summer breaks than pretty much all of them except Dinamo Zagreb mostly by 3-5 weeks.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    we have probably played more games than any other team in the world the last three seasons(guess),without the luxuries or money of a team like man city or Liverpool.

a definently think its a factor.along with a few other things.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We had our best run after the winter break. February was a busy month including a European tie and we still kept our form. Then it fell away.

Successful teams play a lot of football. We’ve got to deal with that.

5. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Squad depth is a huge problem.

We should be able to rest players occasionally, yet as we saw this season, any time Rodgers did that, whether it was Hearts away at the beginning of the season before the AK game, or in December against Hibs, it went horribly wrong.

6. Cupid Stunt

It's 100% a combination of the two and not having enough strength in depth. I remember looking at the bench last season and thinking Rangers didn't have a player that could make our bench, now they'd get a couple on it.

We do play a lot of games, probably enough to keep almost two very good teams of 11 happy over the course of a season.

Always see people saying so and so isn't going to come up here to sit on the bench, or won't be happy playing back up to whoever, but the likelihood is if they are good enough, they will get plenty of game time so we should be adding as much quality as possible and clearing out as much of the * as possible.

7. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    What is your criteria for saying we had our "best run after the winter break "? We got beat easily against Valencia home and away.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Broony was being played by the snake through hamstring injuries. Rogic knee injections. KT we all know about. Edouard rushed back from his abductor injury. We've rushed Boyata back from hamstring injuries. Forrest done his hamstring and was out for a week lol a few month's back etc etc..

Says it all really and there'll be much more than that..

I don't necessarily agree with that second part mate. Henderson, Johnston, Ralston are 3 examples straight away who've performed well when called upon against a fair few side's in the Spl. Consistency is the problem at that age and sticking them in here and there and in different positions doesn't help..

If anything I think we'd of performed better with a Deas/Welsh in for Hendry at the start of the season. A Church instead of Izzy lately. A Ralston I personally prefer to Lustig but I know no everyone does. A Henderson instead of Bitton or even the disinterested Ntcham more than he has been. Johnston in at left wing or the 10 more than we've seen after he'd been playing well as a number 9 before the huns game. McInroy to of got a shot..

In some of our dull game's like Livi at home for example. I'd much rather Henderson and another got a chance to shine like he did at home to Motherwell or playing the killer pass at Tynecastle..

Mince.Charming and Seán Mac D like this.
  9. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

The fact we won 11 games domestically until drawing to Aberdeen in March, scoring 30 goals and conceding 2.

10. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The CL Qualification is a joke especially for clubs who have won the domestic leagues, unfairness of the highest order

11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Atalanta are looking like automatic qualifiers from Italy, the game is *.

12. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    So you ignoring the most important/difficult games ? Aye no surprise there. :56:

13. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Fatigue plays a part, yes, no doubt about that. All managers have gone through periods where their team just looks leggy as * and there is no zip in the performances, no energy.

But fatigue isn't the only factor.

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

And you’re ignoring every game except the two that help your argument. No surprise there.

Getting beaten by a better team in European competition?

That was our best run of the season. I’d love to know what your opinion is on our best run?

I just gave you the numbers. 11 wins in a row. 30 goals. 2 conceded. We came back firing on all cylinders. A European tie which was always going to be tough doesn’t change that fact.

15. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I used to be certain it was this at one point last season when we were drawing alot and firing blanks in the wee games. but then we won every game that really mattered and tbf while not convincing this year we have too besides that new year game so i dont think so now.

We have certainly played players at times when we shouldnt and too reliant the core few and this has contributed to our awful injury record. But ive no doubt at this point our injury record is from incompetence in the department and poor communication with the coaches. The KT situation alone now merits a fresh start with new medics and physios

16. Devlin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The whole competition is bent, can't think of any other sport that funnels the big guns through a competition like the champions league does. it's a disgrace!

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    What's my argument then ?

"Getting beaten by a better team in European competition? What exactly is your question here ?

In terms of the best run. It is impossible to say unless we have some definitive parameters. How many games ? Do we take the calibre of opposition into consideration ?

My problem with you dictating this was our" best run" was you saying we were unbeaten in that run when we lost twice. Is that incorrect ?

18. joemc

I think we had 1 of our best european runs with the introduction of a winter break ,mon era ,it's a mixture of many things that may hamper how we are playing , but let's cut to the Chase here ,it's the hun game that has highlighted a problem
    Why could we not match their hunger and fitness on the day ,it's human nature to lose hunger when winning and finding ways to cut corners to come up with the same result ,the mind and body will play within its self and maybe get accustomed to this .
    Yesterday we could not match their hunger , the ref also allowed a lot of * to go on that otherwise if a player went down he would have received a foul and put them on the defensive .
    There was no respite to the way they hammered into 50 50s and won all the tackles and loose balls there to be won ,it's pretty natural to go on mental holiday wen the prize is already won and keep some for the next big one,ie cup final ,but you cant ignore the fact that kt forrest dembele roberts armstrong boyata and an in form sinclair has taken its toll on our team and reduced the threats ,making us easier to control along with the prize already in the bag .

Devlin likes this.
  19. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

At what point did I say we were unbeaten?

Tbh, I don’t think you know what you’re arguing.

20. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Fair point. You never mentioned us been unbeaten as you deliberately ignored the two games we lost.