1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Murph-E

"Not pretty and a grind" because he made it that way. The total lack of goals since he came is unacceptable, and happened because he forced us to play a style that doesn't suit the players we have whatsoever.

Tommy25 and The IRA like this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Appointing Lenny would show a distinct lack of ambition, we've seen what can be achieved domestically with a quality manager in place, i don't really care if he is not a supporter or dosen't want to stay any longer than 2 years, there is little or no loyalty left in football, just want the best manager we can get to deliver the 9 & 10.

Xatraps and The IRA like this.
  3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Again, how often was it the case this season - not just under lennon- that we were underperforming?

AEK, Rangers, Hibs, Partick thistle, Valencia, Kilmarnock, Salzburg, Leipzeig, Livingston..

littlekennie and StPauli1916 like this.
  4. Mr. Slippyfist

In these modern days, a manager either staying and/or surviving to 3 years at a club is deemed a long time.

I want us to go all out and secure this 10 in a row. It's not like it's an impossible achievement - we're talking TWO league titles in the next TWO years ffs!

The IRA and Liam Fraser like this.
  5. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

It's hugely important to remember Rodgers has a similar match against them at the end of the year. I didn't see anyone calling for Rodgers to be gone at that point.

The reality of the situation (as mentioned in another forum) is we are no where near full strength. Some down to bad business and some down to bad luck.

From the first team we were missing Tierney, boyata and Griffith's. 3 players I think we would agree can and would have made a big difference.

Then look at the three players that left us and have not been replaced with quality. Roberts, Armstrong and dembele.

That's a total of 6 big game players we are missing.

That isn't Lennon's fault at all. It's the club's fault for not sourcing adequate replacements for the first team or decent back up options.

I hate to admit it but that lot are closer than I think we all thought. That being said I think we could pull away with real ease. We just need to replace the quality we lost. It really doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Then we will have Tierney and griff come into the fold next season to which will make a big difference.

Weather your for Lennon or not, I think we can all agree he has a good record for signings overall. I have more than enough confidence to give Lennon the money to replace what we lost. Then we can judge Lennon on his second reign.

To judge him now, when he has picked up a fairly depleted squad, who will no doubt have been effected by Rodgers quick exit is really unfair.

Let him put together his own team, wait until we are full strength and if he doesn't get it right by all means criticise him. To criticise him now, given the conditions is ridiculously unfair

angusceltic67 and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Agree mate, but you can just imagine it next season, every * and their granny oot tae try and stop us. :56:

7. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Again the question remains, given the position we were in, who would you have brought in who could have continued Rodgers style at such short notice?

It was already headed that way. Its like you think we were coasting under Rodgers. There was a bit of daylight between us and 2nd, but by no means were we comtinuing to pull away.

Rangers had already beaten us and came very close to getting a result at CP.

Our performances had slumped notibly this season. We have/had one fit striker.

We have been totally spoiled by Rodgers first two season in charge.

If Lennon wins the cup final vs Hearts, its still a huge achievement to have come in and only lost one game given the turbulence he took over from.

And the next manager, whoever it is, will be well situated to begin the rebuild.

8. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Why do we limit ourselves to just 9 and 10?

We should be looking to bring in someone who will both bring success and leave us in a strong footing when he goes. Ruthless dominance.

Tommy25 likes this.
  9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tierney, probably. The other two? Doubt it.

Boyata has shat it against the huns before and would have been no better than Ajer or Jozo yesterday. Griffiths wouldn't have got a kick of the ball.

We were very close to full strength yesterday. The only guaranteed first team players we were missing were Tierney and Forrest. So that excuse doesn't wash.

It's not ridiculously unfair to criticise him now. That's yet another excuse.

Tommy25 and Xatraps like this.
  10. john2061

We have went from 13 points clear down to 6 points after yesterdays result in a space of 8 weeks and i would call that sacking form and not good enough and people need to open their eyes and forget lenny and hope the board can bring in a good manager .

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People still making excuses :giggle1:

12. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I'm not asking to keep him on but look at you loving it that we lost just so you can have a go at fans who want to give him a fair crack at the whip and do all the "I told you so" pish.

That make you feel better aye?

Lennon is doing the best he can with the players he has. Rodgers turned Deila's team around through coaching. That first season and some of the second, we were playing fantastic football but in recent times, barring a few great performances, we've not been that good to watch for the majority of the time. People who are blaming Lennon for that are blaming him for what's been happening under Rodgers most of this season. We've been winning but not playing great football.

Lennon couldn't do much different when inheriting a team who were in our position and fans expecting him to do better than what he has done is ridiculous. He's lost one game. The same game Rodgers lost.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

So in a nutshell your saying not having the options of Tierney, griff, boyata, dembele, Armstrong or roberts wouldn't have made a difference? I could have easily added benkovic to that list I might add.

If your saying those 6/7 players wouldnt have helped Neil Lennon get a better result yesterday(or at least performance) then I would argue, you're being blinded by your own agenda to get another manager in. By all means judge Lenny but let's exercise some logic and fair judgement here. Christ almighty.

The logic is simple, when you sell quality and don't replace it then you will become weaker. We seen the evidence of that yesterday.

I 100% believe if we replaced the sold players with similar quality or had adequate back up for the injured first team players we would have comfortably won yesterday. Unfortunately some just take this as an opportunity to put the blame at Lennon's door. It is ridiculous...

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

We should be winning that game with the players available. There are no excuses.

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Dembele, Armstrong and Roberts left last summer. Why are you even bringing them up? Rodgers had to play without them as well, it wasn't just Lennon.

I've already told you about the other 3 who are actually our players. I don't think for a second Griffiths or Boyata would have changed anything yesterday. Griff is a back up striker and Boyata has previous of bottling it at Ibrox. Benkovic was on the bench, so it was Lenny's decision not to use him.

The fact is, our team was almost full strength. 9 out of 11 players are and have been first choice picks under Lennon.

You can't use Dembele, Roberts or Armstrong as examples of not being full strength when they aren't our players. May as well throw Larsson in as well while you're at it.

Xatraps and Valhalla like this.
  16. marti~bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson & Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We've been dire for large parts of this season. Think the issues run deeper than the man putting the team out at the weekend.

Huge summer coming up.

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We have to remember, Lenny could've refused the offer of interim manager ?

That's not to say he should get the job, he's had a lot of criticism but it must be difficult for him in the position he's in right now, i think it's worth remembering that.

Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Just noticed i used the word remember twice in my last post, must remember not to do that again. :giggle2:

19. Mr. Slippyfist

He was out of a job, you'd be mad to think he's knock us back.

The IRA and Cena like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Supposedly he's deffo getting it and tying in with another release on the same day :54: