1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Tomas

Am I missing something, we've won 8 trophies in a row, we have the chance of the treble treble on 25th May, but we're not doing well. I agree that we will face some big decisions over the next few weeks, but ffs , let's not create a crisis or siege mentality, blaming a management structure that has given us unparalleled success. Lawell and DD will have a plan and we will be informed, as it's being implemented.
    I for one, am looking forward to the cup final and history being made. After that, 10 in a row is the goal and I believe that it will be delivered. Hail Hail

2. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Clueless.

You have been told by a few now what was happening, in the background, with rodgers. If you want to continue believing your version of events and that it was as simple as the board just saying 'no' then that's your problem.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Do you think Fergus was being vain when he built CP ? He could have just basically fitted the ground out with cheap seats and we would have been fine instead of providing the ground we are all rightly proud of and which the current board are continually improving and maintaining. That gets my vote and the vast majority of fans/supporters would seem to be happy with that also.
    As for not finding a balance we, last accounts, had a wage bill of approx 60 million and have shattered our transfer fee record, that's not a bad balance imo.

Could you tell me what you mean by - "Lawwell and the board will continue to retain a pot of cash that they can skim for themselves." - as that reads like you are insinuating something dishonest/underhand is going on and I would have credited you with more brains than to spout that kind of ignorant baseless pish.

4. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I blame the players.

5. jamiebhoy67

I agree it's crazy that we are on the verge of something that has never been done before and yet I cant wait for the season to end we some stability in the club we need to get a manager and back room.staff in place we need to sort out the first team and find out who's gonna be here and who's not and invest in some new players the blame.for this lays squarely with the rat hes left the club in a bit of a mess instead of feeling anxious and left in the dark we should be celebrating but we cant because theres an uncertainty in the club

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Of course Fergus wasn't being vain, he was a business-man who was looking to make money and never hid that fact. He put his money in when no-one else would, staved off the threat of administration from our creditors, fronted up the money to rebuild the infrastructure of the club that would ensure a solid income base for the following decades and then attracted investors so that he could make his money back and then some.

I guess it all boils down to your view of what a football club should be. Either a commercial enterprise that makes profit from the supporters or with all the incoming funds going back into the club to improve it. I favour the latter.

We made £6.9 million net profit in 2016/17 and £17.3 million net profit in 2017/18, both have went towards our burgeoning bank balance which would be all good and well if we were progressing on the park; we aren't. That is partly down the abysmal record of the rat and his scout in players with what investment they have had but the infrastructure of the club (Scouting/Coaching/Medical) could and should be much better given the resources we have at our disposal. As CEO for these departments, Lawwell needs to be accountable for them underperforming.

We have had net transfer surpluses in all of the last 3 seasons and that is beginning to show clearly on the park.

freitassen and Liam Scales like this.
  7. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Getting to the stage now where i'd be happy if some Chinese bazillionaire bought out all the shares.

Our board are now at the stage where they look at the bank balance and have to come up with * to spend it on, like hotels, in order for it not to be spent on the footballing side of the business. * kind of way is that to run a business?

freitassen likes this.
  8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Yes Im aware of what Fergus was and what he done. As a business man though he could have further increased his profit if he simply spruced the place up and not rebuilt it. The current board by continually spending on improvements are giving us all a ground to be proud of BUT also improving on the, as you say, solid income base the new ground offered by not allowing it to slip back into the dilapidated dump it was before Fergus arrived.

It needs to be self sustaining and that is what they are achieving, by spending everything that comes in you have no safety net.

I know how the accounts look but I didn't ask about that I asked what you meant when you said ""Lawwell and the board will continue to retain a pot of cash that they can skim for themselves."

9. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    At the Aberdeen home game in March - another * shocking performance - I met a guy from Carnlough, a personal friend of the Rodgers family.

I asked him if Rodgers was a Celtic fan, and he said that he was Celtic daft, as were the entire Rodgers clan.

I then asked him what happened.

He said BR and Lawwell's relationship broke down last summer when Rodgers insisted on more money to invest in the team and kick on in Europe. (And let's face it, BR had taken us as far as he could in Scotland by winning every * thing in front of him). Lawwell refused, as is his wont, and Rodgers felt that his work was done. The performances right from the start of the season were markedly different, and it was plain that something was amiss in the background.

The Leicester gig came up, and we were set to make £6million from it. Both Rodgers and Leicester were happy enough to have him stay at Parkhead until the end of the season, however, Leicester told Lawwell that if BR were to go right away, there'd be another £3million in it.

Rodgers was willing to give Leicester the £3million himself because he wanted to see the season out and deliver the treble treble, but then he thought '* it'. Why should he, when Lawwell didn't want him there?

Ultimately, BR left because his ambitions for the club - as a fan, as well as the best manager we could have hoped for in the current era - were not met by the standard, tiresome penny-pinching from PL.

We've been here before, quite a few times, but in the final analysis, we are being severely hamstrung by PL.

The fact that, for some, BR has been made to look the pantomime villain, is a publicity masterstroke on Lawwell's part. PL is the real bad guy in all of this, and some fans need to have a word with themselves.

Under his tutelage, we will only ever be the best team in Scotland, whilst a bang-average-to-poor team in Europe.

Whether Dermot Desmond saves the day again remains to be seen, but Lawwell's strict sense of business is stifling us, and cost us Brendan Rodgers' management.

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If Fergus was looking solely to profiteer then aye, he could've done it cheaper and got himself a bigger profit. That wasn't his sole aim though. He wanted a legacy for the club. My only criticism of Fergus is that he didn't leave money for the training complex when previously stating that he would but in the grand scheme of things that's small fry, he put up at a time when no-one else would.

Our club is more than self-sustaining, we're at a point now that despite our 'huge' wage bill and spending on stadium refurbishments and non-essential expenditure like Hotels, Museums, Light/Sound systems we are still making eye-watering profits.

"Lawwell and the board will continue to retain a pot of cash that they can skim for themselves."

Which part of this do you find objectionable?

We have been sitting on a pot of cash for 2 years now while the footballing side has regressed markedly. During this same period the board have sanctioned salary increases for themselves that are vastly above inflation and bonuses which aren't seemingly justified in the context of ensuring the football club isn't only progressing commercially but on the football side also.

seanm and freitassen like this.
  11. mayo

We were missing key players for both games mate. Had lads like Oli Burke, mj (When he was upfront) to fill in, just not acceptable. This is before I even mention some if the dross in our actual starting 11 (Lustig bullied by that * Kent). Weve git millions in the bank, needs to be used

seanm likes this.
  12. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Ive always defended lawell to the hilt.

Hes an absolute genius at his job and ive no doubt his son is going through his apprenticeship now at man city and will be in our ceo chair in the future.

Ive zero doubt lawwell is a fan. None.

But enough is enough. He can go and * himself after taking that bonus and * * us in the past FOUR windows.

seanm likes this.
  13. seanm

Spot on mate

14. oh bhoy

You are on the wrong side of every single discussion and you come out with so much retarded bullshit that the only conclusion to be reached is that you are in it for the trolling .it's incredibly boring

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Get the cash oot fat chops ! :sicksmile

Blochairnbhoy, Murph-E and bagforlife like this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Yes a legacy for the club - self sustaining and a ground/area that isn't a shithole, same as the current board are doing, rather successfully, by improving both the ground and now the surrounding area which, as I have already said, the vast majority of fans seem to be happy with.

60 million quid on a turnover of 100 million is high, imo, and should the 100 million fall, which it will, it could become a problem hence the requirement for a safety net, by holding 'spare' cash as this allows us to continue to meet ongoing spending commitments. As for how Pete/boards bonus is achieved this has been done to death and it seems people are simply choosing to ignore how this is achieved, so I'm not going to waste anymore time going over it again.
    Seems your definition of what eye water profits mean and what I think they are, for example 6.9 million isn't imo, differ by quite a bit.

You have said you work for the revenue I believe, so I would have expected you to know what is objectionable about that statement being levelled/bandied about when talking about a board/CEO/business but incase you genuinely don't, which would surprise me, a statement like "Skim for themselves" insinuates wrongdoing by a board/owner etc. I don't know anyone who is unaware of this.

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Aye naw bother, tell you what you stick with "The Club could have just said no". Ignorance is bliss as they say.

See the next time you want to complain about insults maybe you shouldn't use terms like "retarded" then you wont look like a completely narrow minded clueless *.
    As for trolling, if I was wanting to do that I would simply agree with your uninformed drivel.

18. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Interesting.

I would certainly believe it.

However, the Dembele situation does throw a spanner in the works.

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't have an issue with us improving the surroundings of the stadium as long as it's not to the detriment of the footballing side.

Releasing statements about LED light systems and hotels while we fail to sign a Celtic fan playing for Hibs and struggle in Champions League qualifiers is madness.

The wage bill is high undoubtedly but it's strange that you're assessing that on a value basis but don't assess our handsomely-paid board. Our Chairman's salary increased by 60% between 16/17 and 17/18, our CEO's increased by 100% during the same period (excluding £2.4 million bonus) how are such increases justified?

This is on the back of our CEO digging his heels in to refuse most staff an increase to the living wage which in real terms was around an 11% increase I believe. If that's not looking after themselves then I don't know what is?

You've conceded in your post that they are witholding a 'pot of cash' if our revenue falls, you'd think more of an effort would've been made to ensure it didn't last summer?

Do you think we are being run to the best of our potential?

20. oh bhoy

Your the one blissfully ignoring the fact they could just say no ,so just stop your retarded trolling bullshit