1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad changes for next season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 2, 2018.

Discuss Squad changes for next season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Some on your substandard list shouldn't be given up on..

Simunovic, Morgan, Ralston..

With a new manager Sinclair, Ntcham and Mulumbu, Eboue could play a part.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Biggest requirement for next season is a wee bit of steel in the spine of the team, CB, CM, CF. We are far too easily rattled at times and allowed them to win 50/50s. The fact that we turned to Sinclair and Ntcham when we losing the battle in midfield shows you how desperate we had got.

A head of recruitment needs to be appointed ASAP to allow us to get ready for what is one of the biggest summers in living memory for the club.

3. donnegal celt

Could we use Rodgers time here to get him to sent some his best young players up here on loan to gain experience and help us out at same time

4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

* stroking that * ego any more than we already have done.

If there's a player they have that will enhance our squad as a stop gap eg. Benkovic then use it but we should not become a nursery for Leicester City.

Loans are all good and well in the right moment but we have become far too reliant on them. We need to invest in the spine of our team with quality, permanent signings.

5. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Toljan Burke and Weah to be gone end of loan

Lustig Boyata Izzy Allan all to leave when there contracts are up

Get Benkovic on another loan

Get rid of Gordon commpar Bitton Sinclair and griff

Welcome sheved

Send Morgan and Johnson and Henderson our on loan

Sign gk, right back,centre half, left back,creative number 10 and striker

This way we lose 12 players off the books and bring in six.

Yes we are probably spending 15m more than we bring in but that day is long due.

Get them in along with a manager ASAP and settled best we can for play offs

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Not what I would be expecting from our highest paid player. I've give up waiting for him to turn a corner this season. Turning down a possible £2m added to what we would be paying him is not a risk we should be taking. For those reason he would be top of my list for punting.

7. dmac

Going by the performances at Ibrox a we need to get in some players who will stand up and be counted and not hide in these games

jude 67 likes this.
  8. Mr Diggler

We have the core of a good team here. Ajer and hopefully Benkovic. Tierney surely wont be for the off until we bag the ten. McGregor is top class and I fear Rodgers will bid big for him but if he stays him, Forrest, Rogic, Christie and Edouard are quality. Brown still there though can be phased out next few seasons but still a man who can do a fine job. Griffiths to come back. Shved to come in and offer something different. Mulumbu surely can play a part as can Bitton. Lustig should be for the off with Izzy. Sinclair should probably go. Gordon if anyone wants him. That leaves us needing a right back, possibly a top goalkeeper(what is Forster at these days), a left winger who is creative and possibly a midfielder to replace McGregor if he leaves. Ntcham should get another chance. The boy has quality though off it at the minute. A centre back if Benkovic doesn't return and possibly one anyways with Boyata away. A left back is a must as well. Someone solid. A 6 out of 10 every week man happy to play second fiddle. I am not concerned with the team going forward- we have plenty of quality.

New GK

New RB
    Benkovic
    Ajer
    Tierney

McGregor
    Ntcham
    Rogic(looks knackered but our best player when on form)

Forrest
    Edouard
    New LW(possibly Shved on the right with Forrest on the left).

There is quality there. Lots of it. Few signings now to freshen it up and we will be good. That would leave us with backup:

Bain

Ralston
    Jozo
    New CB(project)
    New LB or Hayes

Brown
    Bitton, Mulumbu
    Christie

Arzani, Morgan
    Griffiths, Bayo
    Shved

Loan out Johnston, Eboue and Hendry.

If big offers come in for Ntcham he should go. McGregor need to be 20 million to have a chance of accepting. Sinclair can go for what we signed him for.

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Thank * this season has 1 game left it it was still 6/7 to go we would lose the league probably.

Celtic-Rovers likes this.
  10. clonbhoy

It is vital we start signing players with the right attitude in all positions. We need winners, players who take defeat as a personal insult. I think a lot of the players that we have brought in over the past few seasons, that cost what is for us a large fee, have been a huge let down in this regard.
    Age shouldn't be a factor ;I am not just saying we sign proven winners, but that we do our homework on their mentality as well as their ability.
    I always felt that was what Big Jock was implying when he talked about shrinking jerseys.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Britwell bhoy and Seán Mac D like this.
  11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I'd hope for a team like...

Bain
    NewRB Ajer NewCB Tierney
    NewDM McGregor
    Forrest Rogic Shved
    Edouard​

Gordon
    Lustig
    Bitton
    Simunovic
    Ralston
    Gutman
    Hayes
    Brown
    Christie
    Henderson
    Arzani
    Sinclair
    Johnston
    Bayo
    Griffiths

I'd let go of Arzani if he's not going to be on the bench, loan out Eboue and Morgan. Keep Bitton and Lustig until January as back-up centre-halves.

Sell Ntcham and use the money for a defensive midfielder, we can't rely on Brown playing 50 games again next season and we have no proper defensive midfielders. Ntcham is too inconsistent to be trusted and the £8million+ we could get for him could be put to better use.

I'd also try and get Roberts back and if we can the sell Sinclair. Try and keep Benkovic on loan again.

12. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

There are loads of players who could go and I reckon we need 3 or 4 in at most.

We don't need major surgery, but we do need to streamline the squad and freshen things up with a bit of quality.

We're almost certain to lose De Vries, Toljan, Izaguirre, Gamboa, Boyata, Benkovic, Allan, Burke & Weah. Although that wouldn't bring in any fees, think of how much that shaves off the wage bill! There will also be big doubts over the future of guys like Hendry, Compper, Bitton, Arzani, Sinclair and Eboue.
    That's before you even come to the guys away on loan like Mulumbu, Benyu, Morgan, Gutman & Perez.

The squad could look something like:

GK: Bain, Gordon, Hazard

Don't think we need any keepers there. Bain has done great and Gordon is very capable back-up.

DEF: Ralston, Perez, Tierney, Gutman, Simunovic, Ajer.

Big work needed here. Boyata and Benkovic will both go, while Hendry and Compper aren't good enough so we definitely need a couple of centre-backs. We need a younger one who we can develop and either a more experienced one (like Toure) or a quality one on loan (like Benkovic).
    Whether Lustig stays or goes, we need a new right-back. We need someone who is a bit more robust than Lustig & Toljan.

MID: Brown, McGregor, Christie, Rogic, Eboue, Forrest, Shved, Morgan, Johnston, Hayes.

I'd actually sell Ntcham if we get an offer like we were rumoured to have had last Summer, and I'd sell Sinclair, too. I'd like to see another midfielder in the mould of Christie/Armstrong. I think Eboue has more to give. I'd want to see us bring in another winger or two. If Roberts is available then that's a no brainer for me.

ATT: Edouard, Griffiths, Bayo

I don't think a striker is crucial, but I do think Edouard is better just off a main striker, and there are doubts over Griffiths (health issues) and Bayo (an unknown).

13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    For me this is a huge summer for us in the offseason. We have massive bloat in our squad and we also have major player fatigue with a core group of players just flat having played too many games the past few seasons. So we need some significant recruitment as well of real quality.

Defensively:

Out De Vries, Toljan, Izaguirre, Gamboa, Boyata, Benkovic, Compper, Miller and Hendry. Only Hendry maybe brings in some money but that is indeed a fair bit off the wage bill. Lustig I would keep for one more year.

In: we will need to spend real money here and get in 2 new center backs and a new right back.

Midfield:

Out: Kouassi, Mulumbu, Allan, Burke, Arzani, Benyu, Weah and we could get some decent money if we sell Sinclair and Ntcham.

In: we would need a new winger and I think both an attacking and a defensive central midfielder as I don't think we can have Brown playing so much and also Rogic is for me one of the players looking most fatigued.

Forwards:

Nobody to sell here. We simply never replaced Dembele so we need to spend real money here to replace him and as long as Griffiths really will be 100% back for next season then thats that up top.

So based on the above that is moving on 18 players mostly on frees or loans with only really Sinclair and Ntcham bringing in significant money. But would hopefully open up some decent money wages wise.

While coming in we have 7 new players but we need them to be players who can play and be important contributors in the first team so we will likely have to spend some significant money this summer.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  14. Goggzy60

We could easily end up looking like this could easily change RB to CB push KT into LW and Edouard ST

Attached Files:

15. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    LINEUP111557863311763.png

Would get shot of the rest

16. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Naw.

17. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would keep Forrest on the right, he has been instrumental there.

18. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Im hoping shved can play on the left, as i know forrest has been * hot on the right but know hes capable of playing on the left too.

19. Goggzy60

I would say if we can sign 5-6 permanent signings we will be in a good position

The signings for example could be

Marciano, Hibs, £500,000 or for nostalgia sakes Artur Boruc for free (If Gordon leaves)

Patrick Burner on a free from Nice can cover both RB and LB, or that Gumny boy we have been linked with.

Sepp van den Berg, PEC Zwolle, last year of contract 17 he's tall and seems he will be allowed to leave for €2,000,000.

Iver Fossum, Hannover, £4-5,000,000 last year of contract so could be cheaper.

Adryan, FC Sion, could be available for less than £5,000,000 I would sign him if Rogic leaves

Dario Maresic, Sturm Graz, If we could get him for under £4,000,000 it's a no brainer.

Fredrik Gulbrandsen, RB Salzburg on a free

Possibly add Paddy Roberts, Tomas Kalas or Axel Tuanzebe on loan maybe even a striker on loan instead of Gulbrandsen.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Good shout Scout.