1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TimFloyd Gold Member

Got another session in today.

Use a great little gym when I'm here, not the biggest but has good quality equipment and 150 baht per session, only issue is its semi outside so no aircon and I tend to wake up 1pm/2pm so it's like 31c/33c when I do go train.

End up having to peel my t-shirt off after a great struggle lol

Feel so much better on days when I train here, had some poached eggs on toast with avacado Post work out.

Trying to go a couple of days eating well plus lots of water then go a couple of days on the booze, fed up. Just hammering it ever time I'm here and coming home a stone and half heavier and all bloated.

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Get yourself to a Muay Thai gym for a solid work out

King of Kings likes this.
  3. TimFloyd Gold Member

Nah I would prefer to avoid anything that intense in this heat when I'm primarily fuelled by Malboro, Leo and Sangsom

neilly1987 and Boruc17 like this.
  4. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    :56::56: Aye I learned that the hard way. Partied hard for about 3 weeks then done a couple Thai sessions. Threw about like a rag doll off a Thai machine :56:

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tomorrow will be day #24 on Keto for me. I did have one cheat day (day 13 of the diet), and I really * over did the carbs (I was at a funeral so use your imagination), and that did set me back a bit.

Aside from that though have lost about 3kg roughly and am going to do the diet for another 2 weeks (6 in total, planned originally on 4) as I’ve felt really good on it so in no major rush to go back to carbs.

Mentally have so much more energy which I’ve loved, but I did go for a run the other day that I have done loads of times before, and it took me a few minutes longer than it normally would. My legs are also still sore as * from it. I think that could have been due to a lack of carbs in my diet, but I did play 85 mins of a match two days prior and did a heavyish strength workout the day before, so maybe I just over did it and was running on empty.

Pearse67* and Smithy like this.
  6. Pearse67*

@Deebo any sites you recommemd for keto and would you recommend it for a beginner at the gym?

7. TimFloyd Gold Member

It can take up to 4 months to be fully keto adapted, especially when sport is involved.

Yes after a couple of weeks you will be keto but the body won't be full adapted.

8. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just this one for an idea of the basics on what you can and can’t eat:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

And this for setting targets etc:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

After that, just make sure to track your macros for the first week or two and you’ll begin to have a very good idea of what you should and shouldn’t eat. Gets much easier then. I’ve just been reading as I’ve been going on with it.

I’m not 100% sure about your gym question tbh as I don’t really use the gym myself, tend to do workouts at home and go on runs/play football. I don’t really see why not though.

ChrisMoh and Pearse67* like this.
  9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

No booze or potatoes. I'm out.:giggle1:

Saul Goodman likes this.
  10. ddub11

You staying away from Alcohol and spuds mate?

11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah, aside from the one cheat day I had, I haven’t had one potato and have only drank one time but I had a few whiskies which don’t have carbs, so they’re allowed.

ddub11 likes this.
  12. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    My dad started on Monday mate and is giving it a bash for a month. Says he can’t remember the last time he went two weeks without a few pints so it’s a big step for him.

He weighed himself yesterday for the first time since last Sunday and was down 4kg already. A lot of that was water weight from the heavy drinking he would have done last Saturday and Friday mind :56:

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Good for him mate. I did a couple of months a couple of years ago during the preseason. Might do preseason this season but with how early we start in Europe nowadays that is probably only a matter of days :56:

14. Mr. Slippyfist

I usually do intermittent fasting and paleo, but not gonna lie I've been struggling like * with my diet the last month.

Back on it tomorrow, was thinking of trying the keto, but I know the IF and paleo (basically just meat, veg and no/little carbs) works a treat for me. Been cutting down on the booze the now anyway, so might as well get tore right in.

Saul Goodman likes this.
  15. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This is the first time I’ve ever done any sort of proper diet, had been eating a bit * myself for a few months so just said * it I’ll give something a bash.

It’s been a piece of * tbh, after the first week or so cravings are non existent, I’m never hungry for long and have felt much better on it. Not a massive drinker either so taking 6 weeks off the pints isn’t a big deal for me.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

First 3 days are usually the first and biggest hurdle to get by hunger-wise, then if you can get through the first weekend without a food meltdown then you're doing well.

If I were you, and you're finding it easy, then try throwing in some IF (Intermittent Fasting) - dunno if you know anything about it, but basically it is what it sounds like. You fast (don't eat anything) for a certain period over a 24hour scale, and only spend a certain window during that 24 hours actually eating.

So say you do a 16:8, means 16 hours of not eating, and 8 hours eating.

The beauty of it is that those hours of NOT eating can be used up whilst you're sleeping - so let's say you did:

have your first meal of the day (breakfast, as in break-fast) at 12pm, and ate (your keto diet) until 8pm, then from 8pm till 12pm the next day you eat nothing - except drink water, or have a black coffee - and presuming you sleep for 8 hours per night, well it's only 8 hours broke up over two days really you're not eating - piece a * indeed.

Can also be tailored to suit your lifestyle/working life i.e. you can alter times etc

Health benefits and mind benefits of it are brilliant, imo.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Been working my way up to doing a single leg press that's 150% of my body weight, it's hard to walk afterwards once you've done a few sets but it feels so worth it.

18. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

That’s the same line my Mrs uses when she’s wanting a night in with me.

19. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Anyone able to suggest any good at home workouts or exercises for chest and hamstrings? Don't have a bench or anything, just weights and bars.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Chest? Just do different variations of press ups.

neilly1987 likes this.