1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon Poll

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CodyBhoy, Apr 12, 2019.

Discuss Neil Lennon Poll in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

What held Lennon back was his reputation and the demise of the huns, wether we like to acknowledge it or not.

We are a different club now to what we were back then. A Celtic manager will never, after a successful spell, leave for a club of Boltons stand ever again as is.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

AVB is viable as he’s out of work, much like Rodgers was and if you have desires for the EPL good place to showcase your skills.. if he does well though, we’d be having the same conversation next season.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeah I don’t disagree with that.

The reality is he’d only had one managerial job, was widely perceived to have succeeded in it, but was never likely to have landed and particularly glamorous job after leaving

His market was essentially England (not many teams in Europe seem to rake a chance on relatively novice British/Irish managers - or even experienced ones tbh). He was never going to land a premiership job. The Bolton position was a positioned chalice, and although I can see why he’d take it, I’m not even sure what success would’ve looked like. It was only a couple of months ago they were given another winding up order by HMRC.

4. Jeremie Frimpong

Promotion from the Championship, a fourth-placed finish, and eighth-place, with the resources at his disposal, is excellent?

Tommy Wright has achieved more at St. Johnstone.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Is that really realistic?

2-3 seasons of winning left Lenny at Bolton, Ronny at Valeranga, Strachan at Middlesbrough, MON at Villa.

Was any of there careers propelled forwards by winning at Celtic then leaving?

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I voted no, but Lenny can still swing me back to Yes.

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    JC Anton, Seán Mac D and Gabriel like this.
  8. Murph-E

I know it hasn't been great football since he came back, but everything in me still says yes.

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I think that is a fair enough position to take Gyp :fear:

( I know you were only joking mate.)

JC Anton and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I'd say it's fair as well....to call him dead to you :84:

JC Anton and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They were a troubled club, mate. Fenlon stuggled. Butcher got them relegated. Stubbs couldn't get them back up. That kind of thing can really spiral downwards: look at Dundee Utd. The latter two were good managers by SPL standards of the time.

Lenny comes in and gets them back up. A fourth place finish in his first season back was really good, performed really well against us and the Huns. He also did respectably in EL qualifying (better than most established SPL teams do) 2 years in a row. This year he lost key players again and there was obviously some issue with his striker that their board seems to have exacerbated.

I'm not saying he's proved he's Jock Stein or anything; but that for me is still an excellent record.

Liam Scales, PEI#1 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    :56:

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

What I mean is chalking it down to “well he was learning” isn’t good enough. He was in the job for a season and a bit when he went into the 2011/12 qualifiers. Sion beat us and Gabriel is using the excuse of “he was learning”. Bollocks.

Of course he learned from those experiences. But I get the feeling that if Lenny hadn’t qualified for European football in his 3rd season, Gabriel would still be saying he was learning so shouldn’t be held accountable.

It’s constant excuses to absolve Lennon of any blame. “He inherited a shambles of a team”, “he was still learning”, “he had the spine of his team ripped away” etc.

14. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Rodgers was in the job three seasons and overseen some absolutely disgraceful performances and results in Europe, his so called refusal to adapt in Europe was a load of *. He done it against Anderlecht by sending them out not to lose by 3, he also is partly to blame for not addressing that defence which finally came back to bite us oan the * against AEK.

Random Review likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree with you. Never rated Rodgers in Europe either.

Gyp Rosetti and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Fair enough mate, I get the concerns over Lennon aswell tbh.

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's actually true, though. Calling it "excuses" doesn't change that.

Strachan was a very experienced manager and didn't inherit a shambles from MON. When he very sensibly (as did Lenny) built his European system around a few outstanding individuals (Naka, Boruc and to some extent McGeady) and a bunch of limited players around them with big hearts who all knew their specific job, he didn't have the key players sold out from under him and not replaced at the very first sign of success. Ronny was slightly more experienced than Lenny and inherited a good foundation from him. Rodgers was vastly experienced and inherited a team with a few mental issues and one-dimensional tactics but otherwise basically a sound foundation in terms of personnel, diet and training from Ronny and JC. When Lawwell eventually sold Dembele, he allowed our record transfer fee to bring in a striker of similar quality.

You can call it excuses if you like, but other than arguably Ronny, no other manager post McCann has had to work under such limitations as Lenny did.

As I said in a post above, what would Strachan's record have been if we had sold Boruc and Naka in consecutive seasons? Anyone could see that Lenny built his CL last 16 team on the same principles as Strachan, i.e. a few key players and the rest of the team knew their roles to a tee: Wanyama was a monster, Forster was insane at shot stopping and Sammy could run like a deer. What happened to that team?

Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.
  18. Jeremie Frimpong

Dembélé, van Dijk and Wanyama left Celtic after two seasons. That trend will continue. Players call the shots. (We refused to sell our first-choice centre-half last summer: look at how that turned out.)

Our next manager will have to sell his best players, and replace them with up-and-coming talent, and try to somehow build on our success.

Valhalla likes this.
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He will need to rebuild nearly a full defence first.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    There you have it, learned all you need to as a football manager with a year of experience.

So the bottom part, do you not believe that he was learning as a rookie manager? Do you not think Tony Mowbray’s team was a shambes? Do you think we didn’t sell Wilson, Wanyama and Hooper?