1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon Poll

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CodyBhoy, Apr 12, 2019.

Discuss Neil Lennon Poll in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Easier said than done tho, Benitez is an a job in the EPL.. it’s unrealistic to expect him to come here..

It needs to viable..

2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Do you even understand how unfair you are being here? He won the league even without the docked points and Sally inherited a decent team from the cardigan. Also his points total the following season suggests we would have won the league Oldco or no. Whether you want him as manager or not, stop trying to diminish his very real accomplishments.

The only way we will ever have zero duds is by signing finished products again. That isn't happening any time soon. Taken as a whole, his record in the market on our budget at the time beggars belief. Whether that is because of his own insight or his ability to work with the scouting team we can't know and is totally irrelevant to the point at hand.

So you speculate, based on no evidence whatsoever and totally in the face of Lennon's own words and actions, about his motives for leaving and then from that conclude that he has an ego? How about I speculate that your views are due to hating Lennon and conclude from that you are a *? Fair? Of course not: just maybe you can't actually decide you think you know what other people's motives are, treat those speculations as real and draw conclusions from them.

I don't really rate the opinion of Bolton fans on this TBH. I doubt they have any more insight than we do into Lenny's time there. At Hibs, I repeat, none of us know what happened. Even if (a very big if!!!!!!) some of the rumours are true, we still don't know what lay behind the altercation. Suggestions that Lenny just berates players a lot seem contradicted by what former Celtic players say about him.

They are probably not completely irrelevant, given the demands at Celtic; but I for one have never based hoping Lenny succeeds in bringing home the treble and earning the job on those facts. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else.

I actually agree with you there; but we're simply not going to get a manager of Rodgers' stature. Even a lesser manager (than Brendan Rodgers) like Martinez couldn't distance himself from the job fast enough.

Edit: I don't really want Martinez or AVB TBH; but you go out and bring me Benitez or Bielsa and I might change my view on that last bit.

StPauli1916 and Seán Mac D like this.
  3. joemc

There has been a definite swing away from lenny camp , livi result seems to.have exaggerated the swing along with the close games we have seen , the excitement of not knowing wots in store with a new manager and talk of rafa or avb gets the juices flowin,but I can't see the club going this way ,if lenny gets us over the trebble line it will 100% Be his job , pl knows wot he gets with lenny , if we look at br last season it looks like he has engineered his move by going out his way to * power brokers off a d they could not trust him with signings after this .
    I see us go for the safe bet and a good working relationship,it may not be the exciting headline grabber we love but if it works then happy days .

4. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Not saying he's an option or available, but there are plenty better (than Lennon) who are both realistic and viable.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Such as?

6. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Do you disagree?

There are plenty managers out there better than Neil Lennon who would be attracted by Celtic. Brendan Rodgers Celtic salary attracts a huge percentage of footballs managers.

celticfan01 likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I’m just asking for examples mate.

There may well be but none come to mind at the minute.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Again, easier said..

You need more than cash to tempt a top coach to come here, we are constrained by our league.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    His contract is up and he will leave Newcastle, but he will easily get a job down there or in Europe. If there was a chance even a small one he should be approached.

Random Review and Seán Mac D like this.
  10. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Speculating giving examples, but they are definitely out there!

We are an attractive club and have proved in paying Rodgers that we can pay top coach wages. To even consider that there aren't better options for Celtic than Lennon is madness. I'm not saying you are, but we can 100% get in someone better.

Lennon's CV consists of dead cert league wins, a good UCL campaign, Bolton... and a decent job at Hibs.

Celtic with millions of compo, millions in the bank, a huge chunk missing from the wage budget, a dominant position in Scotland can attract better.

You front the cash, you get what you want. That's how football works these days.

Rodgers Celtic salary attracts a huge percentage of footballs coaches, irrespective of club or league.

I didnt say top coach, I said better than Lennon. We need to push on.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

There isn’t a small chance mate..

12. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    You never say never mate.

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I want better than him too, but it has to be realistic..

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

In saying that I thought Rodgers was unrealistic...

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  15. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

None of us expected Rodgers, we are an extremely attractive option for managers. 2-3 seasons winning at Celtic is realistic and it propels your career forward.

Twisty and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That is my thinking mate.

JC Anton likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

AVB is the interesting one for me.

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You need context in any situation, and although there’s no doubt Lennon’s first attempt in Europe with Celtic was poor....it was his first attempt ever, with a said that had been built from scratch. In hindsight it was always likely to have been too soo, although that doesn’t mean the result in the qualifiers wasn’t disappointing. I do chuckle when I see the Valencia result this season held up as some sort of marker though - it was a terrible result where the tie was over after the first leg.

On the subject of there being ‘better’ managers than Lennon around and available, it probably is the case. Better manager doesn’t always equal to better results though. The general perception on here when Deila stepped in was that it was an excellent appointment (once we actually figured out who he was/what he’d done). I put myself in that boat too - he was young, talented, forward thinking, modern....he was going to revolutionise the club from top to bottom and obviously had first choice on all the best Scandinavian talent. But of course, it didn’t work out like that. Indeed, bringing in a manager unfamiliar not only with the club, but Scottish football as a whole (and the somewhat unique requirements that come with being Celtic manager) does present a risk that I don’t believe would be nearly as apparent with Lennon. We’ve seen guys with very, very good reputations come here and fail before - both on the playing and managerial side. There are no guarantees with anyone we bring in, big Lennon does diminish that risk somewhat imo.

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

As much as I'm preaching for better, AVB chat scares me a bit. I'd have him in the better than Lennon camp, but not as safe. Potential to improve us beyond Lennon, but potential to crash and burn the way Lennon wouldn't.

Ideally I want proven and experienced, but as said, that's hard to get. Rafa a dream. Would be ideal. Wont happen, don't at all think it will.

Random Review likes this.
  20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I would steer well clear of using the fact that he went to Bolton against him. The truth is, very, very few people in the footballing world (and England most of all) are going to put much weight on a manager achieving domestic success with Celtic.

Even in playing terms we tend to lose players to mid-table premiership sides at best, and obviously there’s a lot more room for more players in any squad than there are for new managers.

I think the absolute best he could’ve hoped for after leaving us was a Championship side, and had he not basically turned the club around and made us a force in Europe again, I think that would more than likely League 1 or 2.

Random Review and StPauli1916 like this.