1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    1-0 Ireland. Been a good first half hour so far from us much to my surprise.
    Was a good first half from us. Long time since we actually tried to get the ball down and pass it like we have so far today. I know Randolph had a big save there just before half but I think we fully deserve the lead at the half.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Conor Hourihane goal

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Playing very well, great to see. Didn't see this coming. Hope we see more of the same.

4. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Clueless upfront.
    Very poor.

5. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

That was much better this evening. Also see that Denmark made a remarkable comeback to get a 3-3 draw away to Switzerland which is nice to see.

6. Keano88

Perfect scenario for you guys tonight.

Top of the group heading to Denmark.

StPauli1916 and Clint Eastwood like this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Vastly improved performance tonight. First time in a long time we actually tried to play so lots of positives to take from today. But lets not kid ourselves Switzerland and Denmark and much better teams and as fun as that was for the first time in a long time watching Ireland play this is still a very poor Ireland squad from a talent standpoint. So while I am happy with not just the win but also the performance today I am not kidding myself thinking we can split Switzerland and Denmark in the final table.

8. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

The opposition wasn't the best but Brady, Hendrick, Hourihane, McGoldrick and Coleman all showed just how good they can be. Very encouraging. Hourihane has had a massive influence.

9. Keano88

You guys usually grind out an unexpected result during a campaign. I wouldn’t be surprised to see you nick something in the next game @ Denmark, which would be massive.

eire4 and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Peach of a Group for Ireland and a good start.

Done themselves no harm at all getting out on the front foot, exactly what Scotland didn’t...

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. ddub11

Huge improvement from Saturday,players seem to be playing in attacking mode rather than sitting back.
    We are missing a decent striker and misses like tonight could caused us against better Opposition.

12. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Massive result.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

McGoldrick was phenomenal tonight I can see him having a big two years.

14. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Randolph is very important to us, never loses concentration going by the type of saves he pulls off and always vocal.

Reckon he'll rescue a few points over the campaign.

Seeing Hendrick actually run with the ball last night was brilliant, such a huge step up from where we were before.

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Waking up today proud and excited.

I don't want to criticise anyone, and Keogh and Duffy were excellent putting bodies on the line, but the next step for this side is to have a centre half who can step up with the ball and be comfortable in possession (Van Dijk/Ajer style). I haven't seen much of Sheffield United but I've heard John Egan is quite comfortable in possession. Might be worth giving him a go but I don't expect the 11 to change next time out, neither should it really.

Some of the football played by Hendrick, Brady and Hourihane was incredible to watch at times. Three obviously very talented players who could take us far if we get the roll of the ball.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agree with you about the need for a center back comfortable on the ball. Badly needed but for me the biggest most immediate need is for a striker that can actually score. McGoldrick was great but he is not and never will be a goal scorer on a regular basis.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Hope your right. If you offered me a point now I would be over the moon with it.

18. ddub11

I would say his effort was outstanding and deserved motm ,but i felt he lacks a bit of pace and doesnt seem to be a clinical finisher (kean, Aldridge) but to be fair its early days in the group and he may improve as we go along,i hope he does because he seems to willing to give it 100% which in its self is refreshing considering the * we have had to put up with under o Neil.

19. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

No arguments from me there. I was surprised at how cute he was in tight position though. He has excellent awareness and is much better than I expected him to be.
    Yeah I agree we need a goal scorer but I'll take Didsy for now. Hopefully Bamford makes the switch but I am truly sick of being * around after the Grealish and Rice debacles.

20. Seosamh Máirtín

Agreed. Mick knows him from Ipswich so I can see him favouring him. Weird for the guy to only break into the team at 31(near 32) though, but shows how bad off we are in that position.

Saying that, our performance was top notch. Best I've seen in a while. Near died when their captain pinged one off the post, mind.

Slaw likes this.