1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

The difference between our team with and without Rice is huge. He's a top class holding midfielder which is largely unheard of for a guy of 19/20 in that position. He's a massive loss. We would have had a chance with him.

2. clonbhoy

Of course! I have stated it above; he played for Ireland because we picked him. But have you seen some of the vitriol he has got over it? That's prejudice.

3. clonbhoy

We have no strikers and no creative players. We can get a nil all against anybody on our day, but to even qualify for the Euros we will need to beat one of the two teams better than us in the group. I couldn't see that, with or without him.

4. clonbhoy

Who knows, it is only relevant to him that had to make the decision.

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah that's a fair point but there are rumours of Redmond/Bamford. We are crying out for a striker that much is obvious. I was just making the point that Rice would have been probably our best player for the next 10 years.

6. clonbhoy

Oh yeah, no doubt. I believe, from what I have heard, I have only seen him play for Ireland, he is a talented guy. I don't think he had even considered switching sides until Southgate got involved.
    You can't blame him either. It is his job to get the best eligible players to represent England.

Slaw likes this.
  7. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I'm actually of the opinion he will become a mainstay in the England side. He's a massive talent. West Ham miss him when he's not playing.

8. clonbhoy

England's weakness at the World Cup was Eric Dier, so he is likely to walk into the team.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah he's a much better player than Dier.

10. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    England and Scotland or Britain to give them their correct title, have stolen a lot more than players from Ireland over the years.

Ironic indeed.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Stole a lot more from Ireland full stop :56:

KRS-1888, StPauli1916 and The IRA like this.
  12. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    As a self-confessed 'proud Englishman' maybe it's to be expected that Declan Rice has somewhere else to be, other than Dublin, on St Patrick's Day.

So Rice will not be among those in attendance at the RTE studios for the FAI's annual international awards ceremony next Sunday evening. He is among the award winners, with Rice named as Young Player of the Year on the back of his three (admittedly impressive) performances for the senior team in 2018.

Unbelievable:99::99::99:

Bobo_ likes this.
  13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy would have dumped the 2018 Young Player of the Year award in the Liffey rather than presenting it to Declan Rice.

The hugely talented West Ham tyro was controversially confirmed as the winner by the FAI earlier in the week despite his high profile defection to his native England.

Kevin Kilbane and Niall Quinn were among those unhappy with the decision of a judging panel of soccer journalists.

And McCarthy believes the runner-up should have been promoted following Rice's divisive switch.

"I said, 'don't give it to him.' I said, 'give it to someone who deserves it,' and then I stopped. I said, 'no, that's unfair.' Because quite clearly, he did deserve it, he won it because of his performances.

"I said, 'give it to somebody who would appreciate it, not somebody who is going to be embarrassed by it or [for it to be used as] another stick to beat the FAI with.

"Because it's the journalists' award, and I just said, 'you all wanted to protect the integrity of the award,' which they gave to him in good faith. It's not the FAI award, it's been given by the journalists.

"And then, they all insisted they give it and then there's a shitstorm and it's the FAI that's getting it. Well, I don't think that's right, in any shape of form.

"No, I wouldn't have given it to him. And if they couldn't give it to anybody else because he won it, don't give it to anybody. Chuck it in the Liffey."

Now it makes sense. The west brit media shows it's true colours and not one mention it was them when it was announced he was getting the award. Fair play to Mick for calling them out unfortunately they will be after him for the duration of his spell as Ireland manager. I hope people read through their agenda

14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Big Mick saying it like it is as usual. Love him or not there is no bullshit with big Mick.

StPauli1916 and Gabriel like this.
  15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Just looking at how the fixtures fall and trying to figure out if we have given ourselves the best chance we can. We usually do tbf I think it is something Ireland have been quite good at over the years. Not sure if Mick was involved in the negotiations this time or whether it was discussed before he came in but here is the schedule.

Gibraltar ( A)
    Georgia ( H)
    Denmark (A)
    Gibraltar ( H)
    Switzerland (H)
    Georgia (A)
    Switzerland (A)
    Denmark (H)

Massive game next Tuesday I feel.

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It's gotten to the stage where Denmark and Switzerland are a cut above us. We're pretty much on a par with Georgia.

17. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question that Denmark and Switzerland are better then us at the moment. If you were to offer me right now that we would split those 2 in the final table right now I would take that as that would be second place for sure I would think. Are we as bad as Georgia right now well this campaign will tell the tale no question about that. I would like to think we have not fallen that far but the final group table will tell no lies on that account.
    Personally I think we will finish third in the end. But as much as I like Big Mick I have no confidence whatsoever in the current team being capable of making the Euro Finals. Hope I am wrong but I don't think I will be.

Slaw likes this.
  18. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Hahahahahahaha

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  19. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    His apology statement was an even bigger * riddy.

20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I an utterly dejected about the future of Irish football but * it.. I'm going to try and be a little optimistic.

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick Arter
    Doherty Hourihane Brady
    McGoldrick

James McClean is a grafter and always gives his all (to state the blatantly obvious), but technically he's always going to let you down. We need to start getting the ball down on the deck and that starts with leaving him out in my opinion. Great option for added energy off the bench.

I don't rate Maguire at all and don't want him starting games any time soon. Big fan of Richie Keogh but Egan deserves the nod for his form this season.

We need refreshed attacking options and a forward 3 of Doherty, McGoldrick and Brady just might work. Hourihane, Arter and Hendrick have the potential to really click as a midfield three as well.

All is not lost but I fear we won't go with anything like that line-up. Doherty will probably be benched, McClean and Whelan will probably be in for Hourihane and Brady and Maguire will probably start.

Saw a suggested 3-5-2 mentioned which I wouldn't be totally averse to:

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan
    Doherty Hendrick Arter Hourihane Stevens
    Maguire McGoldrick

but I think it would be madness to leave Brady out. He's one of our most (if not the most) talented players.

We will probably go:

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick Whelan Arter
    McClean
    Maguire McGoldrick

Which is just completely uninspiring.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.