1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

So youd honestly expect to blow the entire £40m and have zero cash in the bank?

Where will wages be paid from? A bank loan costing interest?

What about repairs? Stick that on a credit card aswel?

You need cash in the bank to actually run the business, and with a £59m wage bill that can be sucked up quickly.

Miss champions league? We make around £50m. No player sales that's a loss of £9m. Include investment in new players at a measly £10m suddenly in one year our cash is below £20m.

People expect the entire lot to he used. Leaving £40m in the bank is a bit much aye, but I'd say you need atleast 20. We would have that if our summer signings panned out.

Then why invest it when they knew he was off in January? Hence 6 month loans.

2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If he can get the £1m compo for congerton he deserves a medal!

3. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    You're not being serious? We don't run the business from cash lying in the bank. We run the business from income generated by the business.

Our profit before tax in 2018 was £17.3m (an increase from £6.9m from the year before) based on record revenue of £101.6 million. All brought in due to Rodgers' success in winning every domestic trophy and reaching the champions league twice.

Compare that £101.6m revenue and £17.3m profit to the £52m revenue generated by Peter Lawwell's Ronny Delia experiment, where we posted a profit of £500,000 and had to cover the seats with banners.

Rodgers leaving when he did was disgraceful. But don't fall for the propaganda now being leaked out. Peter Lawwell's contradiction of his own previous statements and the annual accounts tell a much truer story.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You keep banging on about seats covered with banners, it’s becoming boring..

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Because we are not in a massive black hole of debt, record turnovers and profits while being successful on the field. If you want your club run as a business as we need to be then PL is one of the best about. He also has the contacts to bring in the likes of Roberts, Eddy, Weah, Arzani etc who 100% helped our on field success.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Naw he canny

7. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    We have a massive summer coming up. We need to get it right. And a hugely important part of that is learning from our past mistakes so as not to repeat them.

Peter Lawwell operating a policy that saw us choose the cheap option as manager, fail to qualify for the Champions league and have to cover up empty seats with banners was a massive mistake. It might be boring to you; it's vital to Celtic that we remember it and learn lessons from it.

8. oh bhoy

Don't get too excited couldn't get planning permission

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Am not denying he is one of the best about Rodgers claims congerton brought Edouard and weah but fair enough Pete has the guy at Man City I just think his bonus is excessive

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

As I said his bonus will only be that high when we reach the CL, in which case I'm not bothered since we are making a fortune when we do, be interested to see his bonus end of this season now. Didn't know that Congerton was the one that brought in them 2, I thought he would of been the one to bring in Oko-Flex right enough.

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lenny being available was a stroke of luck for both parties.. Rodgers leaving in the manner he did has allowed PL to dictate the narrative, 100%.. again fortunate for PL.

And it is a big summer..

Nothing is forgotten and mistakes have been made, but you seem to relish in emphasising those mistakes. Seems more of a dig at the support than PL and the PLC, at least that’s how it’s coming across.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  12. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Pete must regret that interview as when he said every penny would be invested he obviously assumed people wouldn't take that literally ffs - obviously a business needs to hold cash reserves - especially one that has the outgoings we do. By failing to hold cash reserves we would have no safety net should anything go wrong.
    Weird thing is it's always the same ones who don't get this though and then want to try and turn it into a negative.. :43:

Now his bonus is back (again) well the 'good' news is as we didn't qualify for the CL he won't be getting the same bonus next time again, so I assume that will please some people anyway ..

You have asked this and been told/given the answer on numerous occasions now. Serious question, do you suffer from memory loss ?

13. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    E
    Emphasizing Peter Lawwell's mistakes is a dig at the support? Sorry mate, whatever you think of my position that makes no sense.

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Good post mate. Pretty much how i see it at the moment!!

There's quite a few scenarios that can play out between and the end of May!!

Let's take the ideal one for us!! We win the treble treble. So where from there??

My own choice is Lenny but understand others differ. Personally the League would be enough for me and wouldn't brand the guy a failure if a stuffy Aberdeen shocked us!!

If treble treble is landed what are the chances of Lenny not here next year?? This is when the heat gets turned up for Lawwell for me as he's home free the now the way it's played out!!

Chances of Lenny not been no 1 if he brings the treble home?? Don't know

What if Lenny tells him to * off due to previous and him trying to * him over again??

HUGE SUMMER!!!

JC Anton likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

The constant reference to ‘banners over seats’...

Keano88 likes this.
  16. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No I don’t I just don’t think he can justify taking £2.3m of a bonus over X amount of years just my opinion

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If that last bit were true in absolute terms, there'd never be any recessions. :56:
    But I know what you mean, I guess the small interest rate is invested as far as we are concerned, albeit with a very low return.

I'm no businessman and I'm no fan of the PLC structure; but it's just obvious that if we are serious about fan ownership (and I hope one day we will be), we will absolutely need to employ people like Lawwell to run the business side of the club for us. Not to do so would be madness.

The problem isn't lack of investment but lack of investment in the playing staff. Edouard and Ntcham prove that is not due to a lack of willingness from our board; presumably it is due to our scouting team not providing them with enough targets that are good investments to actually invest in. You don't have to be Jock Stein to see that Edouard is a good investment at €9 million and Scott McKenna is a terrible one at £9 million.

Seriously, Congerton's record here is mindblowing. Not one good signing can be reliably attributed to him. Dembele and (I think also) Sinclair were pre-Congerton, Ntcham and Edouard were probably Lawwell's contacts. It's mental to look at our signing record pre- and post-Congerton.

That's the one thing I really can blame the board for. They should have refused Brendan's request to bring in his pal. They better have learned from that.

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And it conveniently forgets that the fall in attendances came under Mowbray not Ronny.

StPauli1916 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  19. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    Attendances dropped under both Mowbray and Deila.

Both were poor appointments. Going for the cheapest option rarely pays off in season ticket sales or success on the park. It's bad business practice, in my opinion.

20. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    We didn't pay anything for lennon and he grew into the role , instantly steadying the mowbray mess who we actually paid money for.

It's not always about how much money a manager costs but the right manager.