1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    "He is clearly a player of value and, at this point in time for us, he is very important and the club rejected that.

"At this stage it would be pretty difficult for us to sell him because there is not a replacement there."

For me, when someone says ‘there is not a replacement there’ it suggests they haven’t identified one, not that money wouldn’t be made available for one had the sale gone through.

There’s a * of a lot out there that suggests Rodgers rates about very highly. Some of it may be exaggerated, but I certainly get the impression he was unwilling to sell because he couldn’t identify a replacement.

Given that Lawwell is notoriously tight fisted, it seems odd to me that he would be unwilling to sanction a deal that was a no-brainier from a business perspective, even if it meant he had to sanction the use of a third of that money for a replacement.

Keano88 and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  2. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    My understanding is Peter Lawwell wanted to sell Boyata and was fully prepared to do so. After the Piccini and McGinn carry on it was the final straw for Rodgers. He threatened to walk if we sold Boyata and didn't sanction a replacement of equal quality. That's what I was told at the time by more than one person within the club and I have no reason to doubt them.

3. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I have told you what I have been told previously, before any of the leaks, whether you believe that or not I'm not fussed tbh but feel free to pick the bit/s you disagree with from my post. I was told that br wanted Hendry and I have no reason to doubt that being true at all.

Random Review likes this.
  4. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    That's fair enough. I didn't say Rodgers didn't want him. He did. As a project, not as first choice centre-back.

But when you write:

"The Club would have sold boyata for the money on offer but because of br/congerton failures we had no choice but to say no which created a * off player."

...you are stating as fact something that is not a fact. The club didn't choose not to sell Boyata because of Rodgers and Congerton's failings -great as they may or may not have been. The club wished to sell Boyata. The reason he wasn't sold was because Rodgers threatened to leave if we sold him.

I don't know who told you the version you are relating, but it was an open secret within Celtic Park that Rodgers threatened to leave if we weakened the squad further. If you were aware of what was happening behind the scenes his press conferences were pretty blatantly aimed at Peter Lawwell and the board.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Fraudgers stated at the time he wanted Hendry afterwatching him play against us at CP.

How anycunt can claim differently is beyond me. Neithet any nonsense about Hendry being "×" choice because we never bought x, y or z.

Fraudgers and co clearly couldn't spot a defender to save themselves, and I wouldn't be surprised if the heirarchy refused to sanction deals for other identified players.player, or clearly unrealistic targets...

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  6. Keano88

Not buying that at all.

Basically saying Lawwell refused to sell Boyata for £9m because he didn’t want to sanction £2m or £3m for a replacement. That doesn’t sound like Pete and doesn’t make financial sense..

In my opinion Brendan’s pal hadn’t scouted CB’s and we didn’t have enough time (1 month) to find a replacement.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He border line salivated over Hendry when he played right back and marked Sinclair out the game at Celtic Park. Every other diddy at that time was doing it..

There's no debate he actively wanted Hendry. Said so many time's and after the specific game mentioned in particular..

8. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Yes the Club wanted to sell him, who wouldn't when you have a player who is out of contract in 6 months and are offered that kind of money ? They didn't sell him though because they couldn't because br/congerton had * up so badly and the board realised that. Any offer to walk was simply posturing from him designed to make him look 'good' in the face of the nasty board - Anyone that thinks br would walk out on a contract clearly hasn't learnt anything about him, money is *, and walking out results in no pay off, hewhaw, nada - that isn't something he will ever do.
    As for the performance at the press conference br was/is a master at transferring blame elsewhere, one thing we can be sure of is his ego would not allow for him to be seen to be the cause of any problem nor carry the blame. Perhaps the board should have held their own press conference.

Random Review and Marie like this.
  9. Mr. Slippyfist

Exactly.

10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Bolded part, that sums it up we all know Pete will spend ... especially if he ends up making a profit that alone should tell you something is sounding off.

Random Review likes this.
  11. joemc

Br was talking up hendry well before we went for him ,no reason to think he didn't sanction that , I also believe rodgers dug his heels in an demanded boyata is not sold .
    Br hand was strong for pl to go against his wish and appear the main problem to fans ,fact that he wasn't sold says a lot , cant see the manager saying he would leave if boyata is sold ,more like pl was told he is not for sale until an equal is found , I think after the meeting between dd ,br and pl rodgers was already thinking about leaving , more down to damage limitation from European games , I actually commented after the Valencia at home he had a look that said its over here , as though he knew he couldnt progress us further ,possibly blaming recruitment .

since the start of the season we have shot ourselves in the foot constantly ,and the biggest problem being an equal power to Pl and not being used to having that ,clashes and both feeling the other is making mistakes , I also believe the story that it was known he would leave soon and he agreed to toe the party line to keep the media storm at bay ,although they got wind of the move just before it happened ,but at the end of the day ,even if everything was going great i still feel br woulda left for the epl after the events and all thats been said tbh.

12. Keano88

Revealed: Total cost of deal for Leicester City to lure Brendan Rodgers from Celtic came to £9m

Leicester City paid a huge £9 million compensation fee to raid Celtic for Brendan Rodgers and his backroom team, the Daily Telegraph understands.

Rodgers was appointed as Leicester’s new manager last month and the Premier League club had to pay a significant cash sum to take him from Celtic during the season, dwarfing the £4m Everton agreed with Watford for Marco Silva.

Celtic inserted the figure into the four-year deal Rodgers signed as manager in April 2017, with the transfer fee for the Northern Irishman believed to be lower in the summer.

But after sacking Claude Puel, Leicester identified Rodgers as their No 1 target and plans to appoint him ahead of next season were brought forward.

With Rodgers also taking assistant manager Chris Davies, first-team coach Kolo Toure and head of performance Glen Driscoll to the King Power Stadium, the total cost of the deal for Leicester was £9m.

[​IMG]

scotsbhoy1 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    * me man his bonus will be 4 mill next year..

14. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Said 10m and it was rubbished , wasn't far off after all.

Blochairnbhoy and ChrisMoh like this.
  15. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Getting 9 million for a rat is there anything Pete canny do :giggle1:

scotsbhoy1 likes this.
  16. oh bhoy

He can't seem to buy a defender,what's this £9 million gonna be spent on a * rotating screen

17. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    In terms of transfers, we are operating in the same price bracket as we were 10 years ago. That is inspite of football inflation (which has benefitted us too) and the record revenues we have received over the last few years.

No wonder Rodgers would not want to stay here. The Ajax comparison must be palpable in his eyes. While we operated on relative titbits in spite of all the money raised in his tenure.

And for those who are going to cite Edouard - by * we should have shattered our transfer record by a whole £3 million after 18 years!

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We're in a totally different world from 18 or even 10 years ago. Our business model is very different and necessarily so!

Also, it's not just Edouard we have spent decent money on. I'm not going to pretend our board are flawless or even blameless, because they aren't; but it really isn't true to say that they are never willing to spend. They have been quite consistent in saying that we are willing to spend if the investment opportunity is there and they have backed that up with money.

People can point at Ajax, but in fact AFAIK clubs like Ajax, Porto and Benfica are operating basically the same model as we are: a good academy plus scout the world for the best value young players that can be developed and sold on at a profit. The main difference is that they are further down the line, having started before we did.

Looked at calmly, this model is, in fact, working. Think about Lenny's first spell as manager when we were just starting out with this model, what were the complaints? That we were buying for £2 or 3 million and allowing English clubs to get players like Virgil for a mere £12 million, whereas Porto and Co were buying for £12 million and selling for £20 million or more. That the academy wasn't really producing enough first team players (only really James Forrest). That we wanted to see progress towards reaching that level...

Well, voilà! 5 or 6 years on and we can indeed point to progress in exactly that direction. Want to see us investing in the upper end of the youth market? Here's Edouard. Want to see us selling players for 20 million and not getting ripped off? There's Dembele. More academy graduates making the grade as first teamers? No problem.

The board made a massive mistake in allowing Brendan to bring in Congerton. Brendan's ability to develop players probably outweighed his mate's inability to source them on the whole; but imagine what Park or someone like him could have done with Brendan.

We have clearly progressed in the right direction and, looking at his proven ability to work with a scouting team without letting his ego get in the way and his incredible track record back at a time when we really were trying to find diamonds in the bargain basement, I for one am really looking forward to seeing what Lenny can do where we are now, with the likes of £9 million investments as genuine possibilities.

So yes, let's look at Ajax and ask why we can't do that. The answer is that we are not there yet, but we are making tangible progress towards that. I'm optimistic that we will get there. We have a big summer this year for so many reasons, but just as important as anything else is getting a good scouting team in again.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    Peter Lawwell said every penny that comes into the club will be invested in the club. He rubbished the suggestion that Celtic would hoard cash in the bank as fantasy.

We now have almost £40 million in the bank.

Peter Lawwell will say whatever the gullible want to hear. His bottom line isn't Celtic FC, it's his own salary and bonuses.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hello

Nm67
    Minimalist
    Endtheplc

:56: