1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Disgrace he gets a bonus of 7 figures anyway tbh. When he won't even pay club staff a living wage.. in order to meet financial targets... to earn his massive bonus :31:

Everything that's wrong with capitalism right there..

2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Aye could you imagine the scenes here if after a seemingly perfect double treble we got rid of Rodgers in the summer? He was stuck in a hard place and as much as lawells a * Rodgers n congerbaws had financially unviable targets and didn't care as they was * off.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  3. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    Piccini and McGinn weren't financially unviable targets.

4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Still matched the McGinn bid and he never wanted to come here. So * him anaw

trackebhoy and Whoflungdung like this.
  5. celtic warrior

Fabian Schär as well let's not forget. Although not sure on how true that transfer rumour was.

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If there was transparency about why it was done then I think people would understand. If what Dembele alleged was true and he wanted to take the job in China then he should've been outed and told to go. If it was left all cloak and dagger like when Wim Jansen left shortly after stopping the 10 then of course there would be an outcry.

7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Lawwell/DD did act and they got assurances he would see this season out. The Club would have sold boyata for the money on offer but because of br/congerton failures we had no choice but to say no which created a * off player.
    The reality is if the board had acted more forcibly with br last summer the majority of fans would, wrongly, have blindly backed him (br) over the Club as well, christ upto about 2 weeks ago that would still have happened.

jocksteinupper and littlekennie like this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If they knew he didn't want to be here then they should have acted on that and brought in a replacement and backed him. Keeping him in situ and refusing to give him funds to strengthen a squad that badly needed it was a nonsensical plan that almost backfired spectacularly in our face.

Getting verbal assurances that he wanted to stay means nothing when they knew he would be a contender for jobs once the Premiership merry-go-round started and that he would be disgruntled by the stashing away of the piggy bank. A recipe for disaster that wouldn't happen under competent leadership.

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

So basically they are to blame whatever way it worked out, nae bother.
    No point continuing this.

littlekennie likes this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

You're the one absolving the board & Lawwell of all blame.

If a CEO of any organisation is aware that one of their managers isn't happy in his current role and is actively seeking a move they would remove him from the role and replace him with someone who wanted to be there.

Allowing the person to continue in the role to the detriment of the organisation is poor management, whatever way you cut it. I don't think that's an outlandish or unreasonable opinion.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    This is exactly the rewriting of history that has started to happen in the wake of Rodgers leaving.

The reality is Peter Lawwell failed to secure at least two of Rodgers' main transfer targets -Piccini and McGinn, then was prepared to sell Dembele and Boyata, seriously weakening the team. It was Rodgers who threatened to walk if Boyata was sold. It was Rodgers who was trying to stop the team being weakened and Peter Lawwell who was prepared to weaken us.

After the chaos of that period it was clear that Rodgers would leave. It was an open secret within Celtic Park. That's why the January window was full of loans. The only surprise was Rodgers leaving with a dozen games to go.

Disgraceful as his timing was, it is becoming ridiculous how it is being used to try and blame him for everything bad that has happened while clearing Peter Lawwell, Boyata, Dembele etc of any blame for their actions.

When the Green Brigade held up their "Back Rodgers or lose him" banner, they were right on the money. Sadly, they were far too late as he had already decided to leave because he hadn't been backed in the summer.

StPauli1916 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  12. Murph-E

Sinclair and Kouassi both over 2 years ago now?

Seán Mac D likes this.
  13. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Bet he is kicking himself now. He would have loved to be with Lennon at us. * Him

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Aaah, I get you. Aye, it's a joke.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t think it would’ve been that simple. While it was clear that Rodgers had one eye on an exit, I don’t think anyone would’ve expected him to walk so abruptly.

For me, Lawwell deserves a lot of criticism for his handling of the McGinn saga, where we were hugely complacent.

Dembele? Its difficult to pinpoint blame here, for me he was off as soon as we failed to qualify for the CL. Given Rodgers comments about him joining Brighton, I can’t say I blame him in the slightest.

The Boyata situation was a complete *. The best outcome? A £9m bid comes in, Rodgers wants so sell, we sell up and buy a replacement. With real planning and organisation that shouldn’t be too much to ask. Obviously Rodgers rated him and didn’t want to sell, and then it becomes a question of Lawwell taking it out of his hands and accepting the offer. Maybe he should’ve, but he didn’t, and I can see why. He would’ve been hung out to dry if he’d sold him against Rodgers wishes and Rodgers had left as a result.

Overall, I do think Rodgers was relatively well backed financially and in terms of having control over the team. I think most of the recruitment issues and overall lack of transfer planning falls squarely at the feet of Rodgers and Congerton. Overall it would be my biggest criticism of Rodgers time here, and I include his ugly exit in that. It’s left us with a massive job to do in summer, and probably jeopardises the 10 more than anything else. Looking at this without green tinted glasses, it probably makes CL qualification next season a bit of a pipe dream too, or at least a massive ask.

ChrisMoh and Seán Mac D like this.
  16. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

I'm not absolving them of all the blame at all - they probably should have sacked the * but then again we all know what the reaction to that would have been... more so from those who will always have a problem with the board. So its pretty obvious why they wanted to maintain some kind of working relationship with him for 3/4 months.

No, they would not necessarily do that at all tbh, especially if they had received assurances that the person/manager would see out the current 'project'. Plus that manager was also felt to be an important part of the process (even though he was discovered to be a *) and finally not if they wanted to try and keep everyone pulling in the same direction.

Continually stating a CEO/board are incompetent/poor management doesn't make it so.

Ironic you talk about rewriting history, then attempt to rewrite it yourself.

Mcginn, the bid was matched but he didn't want to be here.
    Dembele was only sold, with br approval, after he threw his toys out of the pram and was disrupting training. The board were happy to have kept him (Although it seems that br was actually the cause of the whole problem.)
    Boyata wouldn't sign a new deal so yea the board should have been prepared to accept such a good offer for a player with 6 months on his existing deal - that is after all our business model. The fact they had to say no is down to the incompetence of br/congerton.
    br decision to walk out is simply now allowing the truth to come out and br seems to be the one at the centre of numerous problems that others have been blamed for, weird that huh.
    Aye a wage bill of 60 million quid demonstrates how badly he was backed.

17. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    Rodgers was happy to sell Boyata as long as we were prepared to make funds available for a replacement. Peter Lawwell was unwilling to make those funds available.

How that translates into a lack of transfer planning being Rodgers' fault I'll never know.

People seem to be allowing their hatred of how Rodgers left to cloud their rational judgement of what was happening behind the scenes when he was here.

18. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    I haven't rewritten any history. I'm relating what I was told was happening at the time -not the propaganda that has been leaked after the fact.

Rodgers is an absolute disgrace for the timing of his move (and for his insane tactics in Europe), but the bloated squad we currently have is due to the club accumulating a load of low-cost players that we can't shift. Do you really think Jack Hendry (bought for less than £1 million) was Rodgers' preferred choice for the centre back role?

Total income from season ticket sales, transfers, sponsorship and champions league money doubled during Rodgers' time at the club compared to Peter Lawwell's chosen manager. We should have been investing that money in higher quality players rather than still scrabbling around in the £1-2 million bucket.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    What makes you think Rodgers was wiling to sell and Lawwell was unwilling to make funds available?

Marie and Gabriel like this.
  20. TeazyWeazy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hamden In The Sun
    That's what I was told at the time.

It seems to me that Rodgers was actually making the position as clear as he could when he told the press:

“obviously now there have been one or two offers for him but, of course, if we lose a centre half of that quality at this vital stage we have to be able to replace him and I have to look at that as the manager, to see if all the timing is right."